BYO Bootcamp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckinin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone done the BYO bootcamp? If so, how was it?

They are offering it in Indy in November and it's local to me. Only problem is day 2 happens to be my wife's birthday. She told me I can go both days anyway, but I fear it's a trap. :)

I'm seriously thinking about taking the day off work to do the Friday session only. But wanted to get opinions as to whether it's worth it.

Thanks!

Hain't been there. Go both days. Spoil wife the weekend before you go. Problem solved. What's next?

I did the first one in Burlington. I took the Advanced Hopping Techniques offered by Sean Lawson of Lawson's Finest. It was totally worth it and I wished I had been able to go to both days (had a prior commitment for Saturday). I would say go for it, you won't regret it!

I definitely got a lot of good information. Josh Weikert (who is a columnist for Brew Your Own among other publications) was the instructor. He had a lot of good tips based on his brewing experience. They had Nick Floyd and Todd Haug (head brewer) rom Three Floyds talk at lunch and answer questions and each attendees got an Alpha King with lunch. We did a hop sensory session in the afternoon and got to smell a large variety of hops (pellet and whole) to identify characteristics. At the end of the day the attendees could take any remaining hops; I ended up with maybe 3/4 of a pound (total) of various varieties (Amarillo, challenger, mosaic, EKG, chinook, and citra). There was a reception at the end with an hour of tastings of various local breweries offerings. Overall, a great way to spend a vacation day from work.

Latest posts

Back