Burton ale yeast in a honey blonde ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmex41

Reaction score
A member of my homebrew club and I are going to brew an English porter sometime in June. He suggested the Burton ale yeast.
So I thought I'd try the yeast in a recipe I did last summer, with a few changes.

8lb 2 row
.5lb carapils
1lb honey malt

Bittering with chinook and using simcoe/nelson Sauvin and amarillo for flavor aroma and dry hop.

Couple questions, I added the carapils for head retention and to add a little body because the last brew came out thinner than I wanted. I used pacman, which I got 80+ % apparent attenuation, which is probably why the beer seemed thinner. Would the carapils be a little much, with this yeast?

Also the website says its optimal temperature is between 68-72. I like to try and keep my brews going a little cooler, between 62-66. I'm trying to get a good feel for this yeast, so should I aim for the 68* range? Website lists tasting notes of Apple, pear clover and honey, which I think would fit this brew

Latest posts

Back