Burrs Just showing up, too late?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indytruks138

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I know I have read alot taht it is starting to get too late based on daylight cycles for cones to develop, but I just noticed two days ago burrs starting on my 1st year cascade. The plant had a rough go of it and started slow, stalled, then new bines showed up late and are up to about 8' now. They are starting to get burrs and I am just hoping to get a tiny crop this first year, just for fun. Do you think I'll have any luck?

Seeing that your in Texas, I'd say your cones will develop. Growing in the southern states seems to be quite a bit different than for our friends up north. Not only do we have longer growing seasons, we also have less change between day and night cycles, so our plants don't get forced into flowering stages as quickly or as uniformly. I figure the chances for multiple harvests are greater in the lower latitudes because of these differences. I only have a handful of years growing hops, but this year I have already harvested some plants and I have others that are just showing their first burrs, and I fully expect those burrs to turn to cones. But then again, where I am at, we often reach Halloween and still haven't had any frost...

Seeing that your in Texas, I'd say your cones will develop. Growing in the southern states seems to be quite a bit different than for our friends up north. Not only do we have longer growing seasons, we also have less change between day and night cycles, so our plants don't get forced into flowering stages as quickly or as uniformly. I figure the chances for multiple harvests are greater in the lower latitudes because of these differences. I only have a handful of years growing hops, but this year I have already harvested some plants and I have others that are just showing their first burrs, and I fully expect those burrs to turn to cones. But then again, where I am at, we often reach Halloween and still haven't had any frost...

Thanks for the information. We def don't see first frost until Nov sometimes Dec, I am hoping that this plant will start breaking ground early March next year and just destroy. I'm going to put 4 crowns in next year and hope for good results, I am just so damn happy to see burrs. I really thought this first year was going to be a wash multiple times.

Back