Buoyancy in airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icetaco

Reaction score
Got a 3 piece airlock atop my bucket fermenter. Filled it up w/ water to the line. The inner piece was buoyant for a few days during the rigorous part of fermenter, now it isn't. Checked for cracks and breaks in the bucket seal, didn't find any.

Should the inner piece in the airlock always be buoyant?

Once the vigorous fermentation is done mine always drop too. Seems normal, all mine have done the same thing after 10 batches so far.

not always. the gas pressure on the inside of the bucket is less than the weight of the inverted cup. does not mean that there is nothing going on . i tap/flick my airlock just in case the cup is stuck to the side but usually means that primary fermentation is done.

I feel like it's a matter of time till someone says it... So I will but where your fermentation is at as far as done near done not started etc is really not too reliant on the activity of your air lock with fluctuation in temperature maybe some vibrations or disruptions etc more co2 maybe coming out of solution since there are alot of factors that go into solubility of a gas in a liquid... The best way to determine where your fermentation is would be a hydrometer

Back