Bunch of DME, LME, and grains, help me make a Belgian Quad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhutt

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I bought a Belgian triple extract kit but the LME broke open in shipping and the company just sent me more LME, DME, and grain. I considered making a massive quad or maybe breaking it up into two separate brews, but I'd love to hear any suggestions or potential recipes using what I have below.

Here is the list of what I have
-1 lb "specialty grain", they also call it aromatic malt in their instructions
-2 lb Pilsen Light DME
-12 lb Pilsen Light LME
-2 lb dextrose
-2 oz Liberty
-1 oz Czech Saaz
-Safbrew T-58 (date on the back says 01/2016)
-Priming sugar provided in the kit

Thanks,
Jake

Belgian quads are generally dark strong ales, so you're typically going to want some dark candi syrup, special B, etc. to get the darker flavor and raisiny/plum/toffee notes. The Westvleteren 12 clone is pretty basic - just base malt and 2.5 lbs D-180 syrup (see references below). You could do something like all of your LME plus 2.5 lbs of the D-180 in 5.5 gals (throw in the aromatic if you want, though I thought it needed to be mashed). Then just use your hops in place of the ones listed in the clone. I'd probably do that and save the DME and plain sugar, you shouldn't have problems using them up in something else. I also linked the recipes for the la trappe quad and st bernardus 12 clones from the candi syrup site, those are also pretty simple grainbills you could try if you're willing to get a few extra ingredients.

Westy 12 clone version from HBT recipe database
Westy 12 clone candi syrup site
la trappe quad
St Bernardus 12

Thanks for the reply chickypad! I went ahead with this recipe.

OG: 1.097 (was aiming for 1.09)
IBU: 36
5.5 gallons

I mashed 1 lb of aromatic malt at 155 F for 35 min and sparged at 167 F for 5 min.

10 lb LME Pilsen
1 lb DME Pilsen
1 lb dextrose

0.75 oz of Galena (13.7%) for 70 min

2 oz of UK Fuggle (4.1%) for 40 min

2 lb of D-180 at 30 min

1 oz of German Halleratau (2.5%) for 15
0.5 lb D-180 at 15 min
5.5 tsp yeast nutrient

1/2 whirfloc tablet at 7 min

Pitched with Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity

Fermenting now at about 70F and will rack to secondary tomorrow or Friday.

Back