Bulk vs. Bottle Ageing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henryakirk

Reaction score
What are the pros and cons of bottle ageing vs. bulk ageing mead? I've got 5 gallons that are ready to leave secondary and ghost o sit and get old for a while, i can either bottle it or rack it into 1 gallon carboys but I have plans for the bucket its in now.

What are the pros and cons of bottle ageing vs. bulk ageing mead? I've got 5 gallons that are ready to leave secondary and ghost o sit and get old for a while, i can either bottle it or rack it into 1 gallon carboys but I have plans for the bucket its in now.

With bulk aging, you will end up with a more consitant product between bottles, you can continue to make adjustments and the batch will continue to drop sediment before bottling. The downside is you are taking up a carboy the entire time.

There may be some truth to the "more consistent product" argument but I suspect the differences between bottles would be negligible. IMO, excluding using additives like fruit/oak/etc, the greatest PRO to bulk aging is being able to leave behind excess lees/sediment, which is only as much of an advantage as you give it. Otherwise, I would opt to bottle and move on with new fermentations. If you're carbonating your mead then you're likely to end up with sediment anyway so what's a little more.

Bulk aging will give you less sediment in bottles. Bulk aging lets you put off bottling for another few months or years. I've bulk aged mead as long as 4 years & it turned out great; crystal clear, no visible sediment & tasted great. All I did was keep the airlock filled & sample every 6 months or so.
Regards, GF.

Back