Bulk malt storage/hop long term storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewfreedom

Reaction score
Bidding on ingredients from a local brewery that is being liquidated. How long can I expect a 55 pound of malt to stay fresh given I plan on keeping this stuff in a dark, cat patrolled temperature controlled environment. Same goes for hops. I'm looking at 176 pounds of vacuum sealed hops and enough malt to weigh my truck down. Price was too good to turn down. If I don't lose the auction of course. Got confirmation the hops are all nitrogen pack. Obviously the second I open anything I will need to vacuum seal again.

Last edited:
Whole kernel grain and malt, dark and cool in original sacks should be fine. I have used malt that was 5-6 years old stored like that, and was A-OK.
Now for very malt forward beers where there's not much else going on, such as Alts, Marzen, Pilsners, etc., fresher the better of course. But 2-3 year old malts stored well like that, are likely to be fine for those too.

Watch out for insect infestations, weevils and grain moths, especially. They're very hard to get rid off.

Watch out for milled grain, it goes downhill faster. Similarly, flaked goods need an extra dry environment or they get stale due to moisture (and O2) absorption. Pack the original paper sacks in airtight plastic bags (O2 barrier is best) and seal well.

Hops need to be stored cold <32F. Deep frozen is best in original vacuum sealed or Nitro-flushed packages. Get 1 or 2 large (large!) deep freezers.

Maybe sell some or give away to club members, and other homebrewers.
176# of hops is a dang large amount. Even if you brew a 6 gallon batch of NEIPA and an IPA once a week, it will take over 3 years to get through them. If they're that kind of hops.

^All that^ (and kudos for all the late night typing there, IL :D)

But good lord I would hope the hops aren't all one strain - and especially not Hallertau :eek:
Cheers!
I think i ripped through 10 pounds hallertau last year.
3x22 pounds chinook
44 centenial
44 galena
11 hersbrucker
11 kazbeck
Assuming someone doesnt get crazy last minute $107. All sealed/frozen from distributer.

Assuming someone doesnt get crazy last minute $107.
Yeah, you need to sit there and watch that last minute action. Snipers everywhere. They may bid 5 bucks over you, the very last second before the hammer drops. I prefer to pad mine around that same time.

It's a good deal at that price, no matter what!

Latest posts

Back