bulk grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmanshane

Reaction score
Ok I just got a connection to buy 50 pound bags of grain for 30 bucks a pop I think I'm going to get a bag of 2 row and a bag of white wheat.. i like all beers is there any other grains I should get

As long as they're malted grains and fairly fresh, go for it. Is this a group bulk buy?

I'd make that 2 bags of 2-row plus the wheat. Or add a Pale Malt instead, which is a slight hair darker and toastier.
More "exotic" malts like Maris Otter, Golden Promise, Bohemian floor malted Pilsener also have a lot of charm for those special beers.

+1 on Marris Otter and Golden Promise.

I d buy Golden Promise over 2 row any day of the week.

This is from a local brewry i got ahold of the brew master so i can buy 1 bag or a bunch

bout a hour north of dodge city Kansas in a little town called ness city. the is a brewery in hays called LB Brewing. I talked to the brew master there and I am going to buy from him

Nice deal. If you can store it, do it. Uncrushed, you can have it hanging around in an airtight container for quite a few months, stored in a cool place.

I stopped buying bulk 2 row when I wanted to experiment with other base malts. I don't have a crusher, so I would crush the whole thing at the LHBS and then I had to use it up fairly quick. Now, I just buy per batch.

When I started buying in bulk i bought 4 kinds of grain at the same time. Each in 50 lb bags. 2 row, munich type 1 (light), Maris otter and vienna.

Personal taste is of course different with everyone. But my favorite was the munich and vienna.

I like the bready and toasty notes of vienna more than Maris otter and i love munich because i make a lot of German kinds of beer. Couple doppelbocks and bye bye sack of munich.

2 row is an obvious grain to buy in bulk.

I may look for red wheat to buy in bulk later since i make a lot of wheat beer now.

Other malts i use like caramel and carapils i just buy in small 1 pound bags.

Of course you need a grain mill if you are going to buy and store grain at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I picked up a bag of rahr 1 row 50 pounds for 30 bucks Friday... yes I have a grain mill.. I was going to buy a bag of wheat also but the brewery was running a little short but what ever I have a wheat beer I just keged a week ago another wheat beer I am kegging tomorrow, I brewd an October fest yesterday, and brewd a imperial red ale today... so that will fill my kegs up! I was getting behind

Back