Bulk grain storage in warm & humid environment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timsch

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm in Southeast Texas, where warm weather and humidity are a problem for bulk storage. My house is kept around 80F in the summer, with humidity around 50-60%. Can I successfully store bulk grains in this environment? I'm looking to get at least a year of storage.

I hope an intact grain sack prevents damping issues (as I keep a couple/few hundred pounds of base malt on hand) but for seriously humid environments it might be worth investing in buckets with gamma gasketed lids...

Cheers!

I am in florida where humidy hovers around 200% and keep my grain in a semi insulated garage. The temperatures are usually mid 80's in the garage but I open it regularly to brew. I use home depot buckets with gamma seal lids for my bulk grains and snaplock tupperware (get it at TJ Maxx) for my specialty grains. I have a grain selection better than my lhbs and cant say I see any issues with malt quality assuming I use my grain in a reasonable amount of time (6 months or so).

Cost and convenience - win-win.

I'm glad to hear that you're not having any significant problems in Florida. I'd assume that you don't have humidity control in the garage. If you'd only said that you can keep it twice as long as you do, It'd have made my day.

old thread but I do exactly the same...several hundred pounds of grain on hand.

75-80 degrees in south Texas. Bulk grains in buckets. Some specialty stuff for years. No issues.

50-60% is "low" humidity down here.

Back