bulk grain purchase

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eaglelight

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
would anyone like to do a bulk grain purchase in Dayton, Ohio

I would like to purchase a palate from North Country Malt Supply.

shipping is the same whether we would buy 6 or 40 bags of grain

2 row is $36 a bag, maris otter $39-40 a bag

shipping $120

I'm in Columbus but would be very interested and could drive down to pick stuff up. How many bags on a pallet? Let me check with some folks here and see what I can dig up for interest!

Id be in for a sack of each, but by the time I drive there to get it and pay for gas, I can get it at my LHBS for less.

$23 for gas to pick it up...

$41 here for 2 row
$55 here for Maris

wow that is a good price to for local grain. what store is that?

Me? It is Great Fermentations in Indy.

Thier PER POUND prices are about 2.5x that though... which is rediculous IMHO

Thier sack prices are good though.

The sack price where I buy is @ $58 for 2 row and 78 for Marris otter. That is why I Thought about buying a years worth of grain @ once. That is when I stumbled acrossed North Country.

yeah i don't know WTF is up with greatfermentations 1lb pricing. I bought 150lbs of grain from them over winter for a VERY cheap price. Called up and ordered a few bags of something my LHBS didn't stock and got hit with the price when it got here. I was really set back that they would sell MO and rahr soo cheap by the back and then charge 2.30 for a lb of flaked barley?

yeah i don't know WTF is up with greatfermentations 1lb pricing. I bought 150lbs of grain from them over winter for a VERY cheap price. Called up and ordered a few bags of something my LHBS didn't stock and got hit with the price when it got here. I was really set back that they would sell MO and rahr soo cheap by the back and then charge 2.30 for a lb of flaked barley?

OH YEAH... I think I paid nearly $2.60/lb for 60L!!!

But I can buy a sack of 2 row for $41? This is precisely why I have my home inventory of 20 malts in ProMash, so I dont run out, so I never have to go there otherwise.

Yep, Great Fermentations' grain prices are a little sketchy. The good news is that they have a really good selection for a LHBS and they have an annual grain sale in September that gets really crazy cheap - including 3 and 5 lb bags of specialty grains. I am planning on stocking up this September for all next year's grain.

Yep, Great Fermentations' grain prices are a little sketchy. The good news is that they have a really good selection for a LHBS and they have an annual grain sale in September that gets really crazy cheap - including 3 and 5 lb bags of specialty grains. I am planning on stocking up this September for all next year's grain.

I will probably stock up on 5lb bags of specialty and a couple 50# sacks of base this fall. Couple that with the great hop buy of 2009, and I can brew an IPA for under $17!

FWIW, this winter I was not ready to buy 50# sacks, so I bought about 110# of malt from BMW, 20 different varieties. Thier grain prices are REALLY fair and the flat rate shipping was nice. I shorted myself 1 pound of 60L and had to go to GF to get it. OUCH... no wonder my all grain brews used to cost a min. of like $30 there!

Good luck with your bulk buy, hopefully if you approach the local homebrew club you can get enough folks to buy in to make it worthwhile.

The price drops at 18 bags to 1,000 pound price. Last buy we did here closed last week of one pallet, I think the price is $29 for 2-row SHIPPED. Hops, spices, etc. ride free as well so make sure you take advantage of their prices on that stuff while you are at it. I bought a pound of orange peel for $6 when it's $2.50 an OUNCE from the LHBS!

I'm really just in the process of seeing if it could even be feasible. I have grain and hops for the next month. Right now I'm having a hard time brewing. I've been in the process of getting a garden in. Fixing a couple cars and planting four kind of hops. Which I'm late getting those in the ground. So it would most likely be in a month or maybe a little longer.

The base price is 36 for 2-row & 39-40 for Marris otter. Shipping is $120 so if get 40 bags that is $6 a bag so it would be 42 for 2 row and $45-46 for Marris. That would be a savings compared to my HBS of $16 per bag of 2-row and $ 32 on Marris. I would love it even better if I could get it for $29 shipped. How much is grain where you are?

Good luck with your bulk buy, hopefully if you approach the local homebrew club you can get enough folks to buy in to make it worthwhile.

The price drops at 18 bags to 1,000 pound price. Last buy we did here closed last week of one pallet, I think the price is $29 for 2-row SHIPPED. Hops, spices, etc. ride free as well so make sure you take advantage of their prices on that stuff while you are at it. I bought a pound of orange peel for $6 when it's $2.50 an OUNCE from the LHBS!

Where did you do your bulk purchase at????

i pick up grain for $40 when i go through indy (isn't very often) i think MO is like $56? not 100% on that one, but it's pretty cheap as well. I've only got about 20lb of MO and 15lb of rahr left after my last RIS :-( so i'm needin somethin soon... But i have to go down to indy in a few weeks for that hop buy anyways, so i might just pick some up then... god i spend too much money on beer

Id probably be interested in some grain or some extract depending on when you order

Here is the adress of the first webpage I linked up with. If you click on download homebrew catalog you can see the prices I was first viewing.

Download Catalog

After going to the link Saccharomyces posted. I called Mid Country and got a password and viewed their 2009 price list and bulk prices were cheeper than I initially posted .

.49 a# 2-row @1000# in 55# sacks; .73 a# marris @ 1000# in 55#sacks = $30 2-row & $43 M.O. shipped.

so far it doesn't seem that people really have that much interest in doing a bulk purchase together @ 1or 2 bags here and there it would take 20 -40 people to do a bulk purchase and would be rough to coordinate that to get it done. If people would get a years supply of say 10 bags @ $300 for 2 row or $430 for marris it would be more feasible to do. My HBS price would be 620 or 834 W/tax for the same purchase. I was just thinking of half price grain!

maybe if a few people grouped together and got a couple each; then one of those people represented the smaller group collected the money and got with me? Then we would make the purchase. I don't know how it would work best. Trying to figure the simplest way a bulk purchase could occur. Maybe Saccharomyces could fill us in on how they went about their purchase!!

columbus just had a bulk grain buy 2 months ago. that'll be why not too many of us want in

I know i was going to try to get in on one @ Columbus craig's list. Idon't know if this was the same purchase or not. That is where I first saw a pdf for North Country Malt.

So I notified a guy I met @ HBS who told me him & his brother would be very interested. So I gave him the link to the pdf on Graig's list. couldn't get a hold of them fer a week or two. Finally did said his brother was going to prob. open a shop and was thinking of buying a whole skid. so I asked if I could piggy back. He said I'm sure he would let you.. No reply for weeks finally got ahold of the man. No, my brother is to scared of the shipping cost and no dock cost.
Little did he know I have dock access and shipping is only $3 a bag

so with all that I missed the Columbus purchase. Still paying $58 a bag w/o tax for 2-row

Back