Bulk aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calmbrews

Reaction score
Hey guys,

After how long would bulk priming impact on carbonation ?

I'm assuming it has to do with the yeast floc

Depends on temperature among other things - a few days should give some pressure and several weeks should give a good chunk of intended carbonation.

If you're unsure I recommend making a test bottle aside the main batch. Use a plastic screw cap and leave a normal air gap from the top. You can squeeze this every so often to check pressure.

Alternatively you can remove the cap/stopper/cork from the main batch at any point and listen for the hiss. The amount of carbonation lost is minimal so long as the air gap is small and so long as you have not recently disturbed the batch. When you re-cap the batch will re-equalise the pressure between liquid and air gap (more or less).

Hope that helps(?).

I think the question is "how long can I age a beer before packaging, and still get good carbonation."

One month easily, after 2 months, I might consider adding some fresh yeast to ensure speedy carbonation. You could do without, but it might take a while to get it fully carbed, and might be a bit variable, if bottled. If kegged, the variability wouldn't be an issue.

Back