Building Water Profile From Distilled Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Know

Reaction score
I'm fully aware distilled water lacks the ions necessary for yeast health.

I'm making an IPA which does poor given my city water profile (Louisville, KY) where we're looking at 58ppm Sulfate. I know I could just toss in a little gypsum but I'm wanting to experiment with full control on this batch.

I'm looking to get

-Chloride: 175-200ppm
-Sulfate: 75-100ppm
-Calcium: 125-150ppm
-pH: dialed in with lactic 88%

My question is on the importance of other ions and nutrients. Can I get away from just these three or do I need to add sodium, magnesium, bicarbonate, etc. to get good results in an all grain NEIPA. I could use 1/2 tap water but I'm interested in the possibility of totally building my water profile from scratch (distilled).

For an NEIPA:

Magnesium = no
Sodium = maybe
Bicarbonate = no
Yeast nutrient with zinc = yes

For every 5 gallons of distilled water, you might consider trying:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.5 g. Gypsum
3.75 g. CaCl2.2H2O (or 2.85 grams of "nominally" anhydrous)
1.75 g. NaCl

That should give you: 85 ppm Ca, 152 ppm Cl, 36 ppm Na, and 74 ppm SO4

For an NEIPA:

Magnesium = no
Sodium = maybe
Bicarbonate = no
Yeast nutrient with zinc = yes

For every 5 gallons of distilled water, you might consider trying:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.5 g. Gypsum
3.75 g. CaCl2.2H2O (or 2.85 grams of "nominally" anhydrous)
1.75 g. NaCl

That should give you: 85 ppm Ca, 152 ppm Cl, 36 ppm Na, and 74 ppm SO4
I appreciate the detailed advice. I'd like to know why you recommend only 85ppm range for calcium. My understanding of calcium is contributing to "roundness" while my perception of NEIPAs couldn't be rounder.

My hop schedule is looking like one 60min add. for all IBUs with massive 170F whirlpools and dry hopping.

I appreciate the detailed advice. I'd like to know why you recommend only 85ppm range for calcium. My understanding of calcium is contributing to "roundness" while my perception of NEIPAs couldn't be rounder.

My hop schedule is looking like one 60min add. for all IBUs with massive 170F whirlpools and dry hopping.

Calcium aids yeast flocculation and assists with protein coagulation (hot break and cold break), but doesn't do anything for yeast health or contribute roundness. You don't want or need to go over 100ppm, unless you need to because of the amount of calcium chloride or gypsum you are using.

And you CAN use 100% distilled water if you want to- malt has plenty of things like magnesium and doesn't need brewing salts. Brewing salts are added for flavor. Just like chicken soup without any seasonings, a beer made with 100% distilled water may be a bit bland compared to one with a little bit of brewing salts added for flavor.

Chloride paired with sodium adds sweetness (up to a point obviously) and fullness/body. You get this from chloride without sodium so that, for example, AFAIK, calcium chloride improves body. It always has for me, in any case.

Back