Building Frozen yeast bank straight from Pure Pitch/Yeast vendor pouch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtstrider

Reaction score
Hey all! I just put in an annual liquid yeast order. Short of it is I'm in Florida and the LHBS only offers Wyeast. I don't want to pay for overnight shipping or deal with any potential in delays when it's in the triple digits outside. So with that out of the way ;) Has anyone tried using yeast straight from the White Labs Pure Pitch and Omega pouches instead of building a starter and pulling the yeast from the starter? Aka I want to get the yeast straight from the manufacturer packs into the test tubes water/glycerin solution asap so I don't have to worry about expired or stressed yeast. Also want to save time/money on starters just for this step. If a starter is really needed/recommended prior to this then I have no problem going that route, but, just curious if being lazy and splitting the yeast up this way would work as well? I already have a pretty hefty yeast bank on the ale side so these are mainly lager strains I'm toying with for learning purposes. If I can get 5-6 15 ml tubes of glycerin/water yeast per each strain I'll be happy :). I usually shoot for 10 15ml tubes but I can always build up from the frozen tube later on and go that route Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I have put yeast up straight from the pouch to the freezer. I like some of Bootlegs stuff and it is only offered certain times of the year to home brewers. I will order the pouches, pressure cook my vials, split them up when they come in and freeze them. Never had a problem getting a starter going from any of them.

I do 20mL tubes, 10 mL of glycerin and spring water and 10mL of yeast. I can get 5 out of a 50mL pouch.

All of mine are ale yeasts.

Chris

I have put yeast up straight from the pouch to the freezer. I like some of Bootlegs stuff and it is only offered certain times of the year to home brewers. I will order the pouches, pressure cook my vials, split them up when they come in and freeze them. Never had a problem getting a starter going from any of them.

I do 20mL tubes, 10 mL of glycerin and spring water and 10mL of yeast. I can get 5 out of a 50mL pouch.

All of mine are ale yeasts.

Chris

I'm going to have to do this over the weekend. Looks like my yeast will be here tomorrow. Make that three days on a truck now lol That's why I order this time of year. It's literally cold everywhere so it's in close to fridge temps the whole ride. Need to get that yeast separated and stored asap!

I do this all the time! I buy yeast in big bunches and then just either 2 step grow it or make a big 3.2L starter and then fridge it for 2days, then decant most of it and put it into a seperatory flask. Then i do the 25ml/25ml glycerin mix and freeze it in 90% alcohol so it slow freezes, not rupturing the yeast cell wall.

Back