Bug Farm 5

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guess42

Reaction score
I just started fermenting a lambic style beer with Al B's Bug Farm 5. Was wondering if anyone knew what was in this blend? I know it changes each time, but was interested to see whats in it.

Brett. Drie Fontenein Oude Gueuze
Brett. Fantome Black Ghost
Brett. Russian River Beatification
Brett. Anomulus
Brett. Boon Oude Gueuze
Brett. Giardin Gueuze
Brett. Rodenbach foederbier
Brett. Nanus
Brett. Naardenensis
Brett. Bruxellensis
Brett. Lambicus
Pediococcus Cantillon St. Lamvinus
Saccharomyces Fermentati Flor Sherry Yeast
S. Cerevisae Saison (5 strains)
Lactobacilli Sourdough
Lactobacillus Delbrueckii

Wow, thanks for that list. Had considered adding dregs, but that list is already a veritable whose who of organisms. Would have asked him, but do not have facebook. Already spend too much time on this site. Don't need another distraction.

I put some in a Belgian Dark Strong about 3 months ago. Time for a sample I suppose. Thanks for reminding me!

Sure no problem. Long story short, half the 11 gallon batch got BugFarm 5 and the other half got a vial of Brett B & L. I'll post something when I taste them.

Got a fladers red going a week after the lambic. Both have fairly decent funk going by this time (4 months), but not enough acid for my tastes. Will be nice to see develop over the next year.

Thinking about pitching this in a Belgian Golden Strong in secondary, or maybe pitch along with the Sacch. Does that sound good to anyone?

This alone in a golden strong sounds pretty awesome. As far as I've heard it contains sach already.

I've got BugFarm 5 chugging away in the 2nd runnings off a Quad recipe (Flanders red-ish). I'm really anxious to know how it turns out.

i'm going to pitch my bugfarm 5 on a brown/porter based recipe and see what happens. I have several lighter/red based beers souring now but have yet to try something darker.

The bug county i pitched alone on an amber color wort a couple weeks ago took off immediately- krausen within 5-6 hrs of pitching.

I just bottled an 11 month-old lambic that used BugFarm 5. Got down to 1.008. Started around 1.050. I was hoping for a bit more attenuation, but we will see how the bottles develop. Cork and caged almost all of it, so if the brett keeps chewing on the FG I think we will be okay. Only bottled half; the other half went on to about 1.5 to 2 lbs/gal of cabernet sauvignon grapes! It looks beautiful in the fermenter.

The uncarbonated stuff has a lot of brett funk aroma, but almost none of it is in the flavor. The flavor is quite acidic, coming off a bit sweet. It reminds of champagne right now. I hope some funk develops in the bottle! The recipe was all LME and 2 oz of maltodextrin. About 6 IBUs.

Been quite a while since I updated this. I turned the lambic into a 5 gallon solera. Bottled the first pull straight. Refilled with a batch prefermented with wyeast lambic blend. Pulled again 2.5 gallons onto fresh picked strawberries and racked in with beer fermented with ecy oud bruin. First bottling (plain) was at 1.5 years and had a bright fresh citrus flavor with mild acidity. Now with more time in the bottle it is slowly building the requisite funk. Just bottled the strawberry batch after more than 6 months on fruit. Smelled strong of strawberry. Will need more bottle time to taste.

Sorry for not updating frequently. Grad school for chemistry keeps me more than busy. Only brewed four batches in the last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Guess I'll also update on the Flanders. Three gallon batch, half bottled straight half got fresh picked sour cherries for 6 months and then bottled. Will need to do a retasting to freshen my memory. Though I do remember the cherry developed acetic from too much head space in the bb.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back