Bucket of C60

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peruvian802

Reaction score
A LHBS was closing down and I ended up buying almost 20 lbs of Crystal 60 that they had a blow out price on.

My APA uses 1lb per batch but I'm not sure how else to use this all up! Any suggested recipes?

I'd say you could use a bit more of it in something like an Amber/Red, maybe a Porter. You could probably use it to try and balance out a heavily-coffeed or roasty stout as well, but it'll still take a fair bit of doing to go through that much of it. The best answer is likely going to be brewing a bit more volume, rather than trying to shoehorn more crystal into a single batch. Aim to brew a few batches that are designed to sit for a while so you don't have to drink 20 gallons at once :)

British styles use some crystal malts, like porters or browns. Scottish and Irish beers use them. Pale ales (American) use about a pound per 5 gallon batch.

Graff? Brandon O's only uses half a pound per 5 gal, but you could probably bump it closer to a pound if you subbed out the DME for all grain.

Back