Bucket lid issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pupwalker

Reaction score
I have read many show concern about bucket lids being loose fitting and maybe not being airtight, BUT what about lids fitting too tight??? is there any trick to getting the lid off without breaking fingers??? we do get it off but it is no walk in the park!

Loosen up one spot and work your way around rather than lifting up on one spot. Or you can get something like a paint lid opener at a hardware store for a buck or two.

I use one of the bucket lid removal tools. It's plastic and I picked it up from home depot for a few bucks.

+1 on the bucket lid tool!

You can also cut some notches along the lip so you create some flaps instead of having it as one complete section, the lid will still seal up fine but you can peel off sections to remove it easier.

Definitely get the bucket lid prying tool. It saves stinging hurt fingers trying to pry them off. I use a cheap rubber mallet to tap them on so I'm not wearing my hands out on the tight lids. Here's what it looks like from Midwest that I got cheaper than now; http://www.midwestsupplies.com/pail-opening-tool.html
Home depot also has 5 gallon buckets with college logos, like LSU, Michigan State, Notre Dame, etc. They've got a prying tool, but can't find it on their site...

Latest posts

Back