Solutions for bucket lid seal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MASKAmead

Reaction score
I just started 5 gallons of mead (one of my first brews) and it was bubbling away until I attempted to remove the gamma seal lid to check for fermentation bubbles in the liquid. at that point the airlock bubbles stopped which I took to mean there was no longer pressure in the bucket. The fermentation was definitely active (tons of bubbles in the liquid) so I tried getting it to work again in the same configuration, swapping just the screw on lid for a different one, and even swapping the o ring sealing rim the lid screws into. Nothing has worked. The only thing I can think could be the problem is I didn't snap the outer rim part of the gamma lid on well enough. I heard positive snaps when I applied the ring but I'm not sure if it's airtight. I would really appreciate any troubleshooting ideas because I would hate to make vinegar.

Are you sure it's not just finished with the part of it's fermentation that is really active enough to produce enough CO2 to put a bubble in the airlock?

I have only fermented beer. Mead I have no idea how it behaves. But the beers I've done will pretty much have all but the last few points of fermentation over with in the first two days from pitching. And for most of the remaining two to three weeks I leave them in the FV, I'll not see a single bubble.

I am not experienced but I see a ton of small bubbles when I open the container and look at the liquid itself. It's also only been 2 days since I started the brew and mead will typically take a minimum of two weeks (likely more) with the gravity I used. With all the gas I see being released I feel like the airlock should bubble if there is a proper seal. I am totally stumped.

Try keg gasket lube on the seal.

Though I use a Brew Bucket, I use the CO2 generated by fermentation to push sanitizer out of a keg to purge it. This creates a bit of pressure in the fermenter and the CO2 will find the path of least resistance to escape. Sometimes that path is the lid seal. So, I put a bit of keg gasket lube on the fermenter lid seal to solve the issue.

Back