Bucket fermenter contamination - still able to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylorjohn11892

Reaction score
I don't know if I had a contamination or not, I'm still trying to figure that out. If I did, would my bucket fermenter still be able to be used? It has only been used once and the first time I used it my beer reeked of sulphur and tasted terrible after fermentation. There are no scratches on the inside. Thanks for the help!

I wouldn't toss it based on 1 beer. There are a few things you can do though to make sure it is sanitized. Pick one or several, depending on your level of OCD. :D

1. Soak it in StarSan
2. Soak it in Iodopher - messier but kills more stuff than StarSan doesn't.
3. Leave it in the sun for a day - UV is a remarkable killer
4. Fill with boiling water
5. Clean with a 1:20 bleach solution. Rinse really well after.

You can use it.

Sanitation is 90% about proper cleaning.
After emptying a fermenter, soak it with a hot solution of peroxide cleaner.
Disassemble all the parts and then soak those too, along with the rest of the cold side equipment.
Rinse thoroughly.
Sanitize with a no-rinse sanitizer before use.

There's no evidence to suggest iodophor works any better or worse than star san.

Scrub well with a non-scratching nylon brush or pad and some Oxiclean solution. Same for the lid and its groove. Rinse off well.

Mop a regular Starsan working solution on all inside surfaces (including the lid) with a small washcloth, it should leave a thick foam coating. Repeat a few times every 10-20 minutes.

You could use Iodophor too, but it doesn't foam or hold onto vertical surfaces, but will kill anything upon contact. Just keep wiping the surfaces for a few minutes.

And / or:
3. above ^
5. followed by 3. above ^

Infection could be from your boil kettle valve, take it apart and clean the inside well every brew or few brews.

Clean, sanitize and inspect any hoses or equipment used for transfers.
Anything that touches your chilled wort is suspicious. Follow the chilled wort path.

How long did you leave in the fermenter ? Some info on your process would be helpful . Maybe it just needs time. What was the beer ?

Any of your clear plastic parts like a bottling wand or auto siphon shouldn't be in water over 140 degrees. Micro cracks will develop that can never be properly sanitized.

Buckets, hoses, stainless steel etc are fine with very hot water.

Always disassemble the spigot on a bottling bucket if you use one

This page has links to all the relevant studies which show that StarSan works great on bacterias but is less effective for yeast and mold.
https://community.diybeer.com/topic/9709-starsan-not-effective-against-wild-yeast-and-molds/
There are no "relevant studies" linked, just people repeating unsubstantiated claims based on faulty information. :(

Scientists over at Milk the Funk picked apart the faulty information used by those people.
http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Quality_Assurance#Homebrew_cleaners_and_disinfectants

There are no "relevant studies" linked, just people repeating unsubstantiated claims based on faulty information. :(

Scientists over at Milk the Funk picked apart the faulty information used by those people.
http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Quality_Assurance#Homebrew_cleaners_and_disinfectants
I'd really like to see how Milk the Funk disagrees with the University of Maryland and the FDA, but unfortunately my work blocks their website. I'll try to read that when I get home. Thanks!

Star San is effective for killing yeast up to 100 cells/mL according to an actual study by a scientist (recent data; not yet published).
Proper cleaning should reduce yeast density below this threshold. (By the way, PBW/ABW/Oxiclean cleaners are also antiseptic due to the hydrogen peroxide)

The same study found that Iodophor at 12.5ppm iodine is effective for killing up to 100,000 cells/mL.
Proper cleaning is still important to remove films/residue and help the sanitizer actually reach any potential microbes.

Cheers

Peroxyacetic Acid mixed with hydrogen peroxide (diluted with water)
Just don't get this stuff on your skin.....it's not fun.
Disclaimer.......buy it pre-diluted this stuff can be dangerous.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your inputs. To answer some questions, the beer was a kviek IPA and Ive had some friends use this yeast and the fermentation smells did not come out nearly as bad as this.

I tried a simpler yeast (US05) that I am familiar with and made a simple beer to test my fermenter again. Currently fermenting normally with normal aromas coming out of the bubbler. :)

It may have been my inexperience with the kveik yeast...maybe I pitched it too cold. Will definitely try again soon!

Kveik (especially Hornindal) seems to throw sulfide when fermented on the cool side, especially if over-pitched.
It's happiest fermenting hot.

Kveik (especially Hornindal) seems to throw sulfide when fermented on the cool side, especially if over-pitched.
It's happiest fermenting hot.

Yes! I am doing 2.5 gallon batches and I pitched the whole packet of yeast (for 5 gallons) at 74 F. Next time I'll try and look at the yeast pitch calculators although I don't have any experience with them.

Yes! I am doing 2.5 gallon batches and I pitched the whole packet of yeast (for 5 gallons) at 74 F. Next time I'll try and look at the yeast pitch calculators although I don't have any experience with them.
If you can't keep your kveik fermentation hot but still want to use it (why?): I'd suggest underpitching, like shake the packet and pitch 1-2 tablespoonfuls of the slurry. Also add a bunch of yeast nutrient.

You could also instead use WLP644 (Sacc Trois), which is a great yeast that also adds lots of pineapple and mango and is much more comfortable at your ambient temperature. :)

Last edited:
I had bad infection in one plastic fermentation bucket. After this I leave bucket two weeks opened out on the sun and after this rinse with OXI solution. Next two batch in this bucket turn great.

Star San is effective for killing yeast up to 100 cells/mL according to an actual study by a scientist (recent data; not yet published).
Proper cleaning should reduce yeast density below this threshold. (By the way, PBW/ABW/Oxiclean cleaners are also antiseptic due to the hydrogen peroxide)

The same study found that Iodophor at 12.5ppm iodine is effective for killing up to 100,000 cells/mL.
Proper cleaning is still important to remove films/residue and help the sanitizer actually reach any potential microbes.

Cheers

Very interesting, thanks. Would love to see the study. Do you expect publication soon?

Very interesting, thanks. Would love to see the study. Do you expect publication soon?
If/when I see it, I'll try to remember to update here.

Iodophor is great; it's easy, safe, cheap, and effective.
Star San is also all of the above. I prefer it because it's stable and doesn't stain.

Proper cleaning is way more important than which sanitizer is used.

As mentioned above, infections are hard to pinpoint - it may have been the bucket or something else completely. I guarantee you everyone on this board has had at least 1 infection

Clean and scrub everything with PBW or the sort, then sanitize with starsan or the like (cleaning and sanitizing are different, one precedes the other)

I would give the bucket a couple more gos before replacing it - I've used buckets that have had infections before with no problem and still do.

Take a look at your sanitation practices before taking action

I had an infection because the lid on the bucket was not properly sealed. Now I use stretch foil and no infection.

Had a couple infected batches in a row a few years back. Traced it to the bottling bucket and plastic tubing. Replaced the tubing and now store the bottling bucket spigot, disassembled, in a jar of Starsan when not in use. No more problems.

Had a couple infected batches in a row a few years back. Traced it to the bottling bucket and plastic tubing. Replaced the tubing and now store the bottling bucket spigot, disassembled, in a jar of Starsan when not in use. No more problems.

The spigot is difficult to clean and easily penetrates the seals. I removed the spigot and now I use the hose. They are much easier to clean and can take full beer from bucket.

Latest posts

Back