Bubblegum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poppalarge

Reaction score
My latest brew has been in the bottle for 11 days. Its an IPA made with DME and WHEAT DME, some Cara-aroma steeping grains, with Styrian Goldings hops and Safale 05 yeast.

I couldn't help but have a little taste last night. It was pleased with how it turned out but it wasn't what i was expecting.

Obviously its early days but I got some very fruity flavours and also some bubblegum on the nose. My question is, is this a typical outcome for a beer with wheat in it, or have I done something wrong to make it taste so fruity? High ferment temperatures perhaps?

As I said, it was very nice but didn't really taste like an IPA

Bubblegum is usually associated with high fermentation temps. Some yeasts are more prone to this as well. Not sure about s05 though. What temp did you ferment at?

I have no temp control. I was fermenting in my house and the ambient temp was around 18-21 degrees C (65-70?)

I pitched the yeast at around. 27 degrees C which might have been a little high also.

I have no temp control. I was fermenting in my house and the ambient temp was around 18-21 degrees C (65-70?)

I pitched the yeast at around. 27 degrees C which might have been a little high also.

Pitching at that high a temp could be a problem, especially since it will take a while to get the beer down to a lower temp. Temperature control is most important during the first 3 days or so of fermentation. It is much better to be too high at the end than too high at the start.

Also, if your ambient temp was up around 21C (70F), you're at the upper end of where I would be comfortable (actually, it is warmer than I would be comfortable). Fermentation is exothermic, so the actual fermentation temp is going to be higher than your ambient.

It was the ambient air temp.

The Bubblegum Flavour has all but disappeared which is good. It actually turned out to be a great brew

Back