Brutus 20

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyOD

Reaction score
Question; I just got my Brutus 20 up and running and have a few questions. They may seem simple to most but.. I have never done an all grain brew. I've done 18 partial mash brew and then found a guy wanting to sell his Brutus 20. I just could not pass it up, so I've just made the giant leap into AG.

1. Is there a formula to help you know how much water you start out with in your HLT/Kettle. I know how much water to start off with in the mash tun.

2. Besides this forum where can I go to talk about the Brutus 20? I know I'll have a million more questions down the road.

3. Any suggestion on a first AG Brew for my new Brutus 20?

image-2741614989.jpg

I don't have a brutus but to answer your other two questions:

Got 30 bucks left over? http://www.beersmith.com/

I jumped all-in to when I switched to AG, and, this software has been a huge help!

Maybe a pumkin ale for your first since the fall season is near\here....

They are on here. Maybe it's the title of your post. Try "Brutus 20 noobie help".

I am more of a cooler on the tailgate brewer.

nice score BTW

I start with my pre-boil target based on known boil loss. Add 15% of the weight of your grain in pounds as the number of gallons lost for absorption/misc loss. Then divide the total up between mash and "sparge" based on desired mash thickness.

For instance:
Preboil volume: 11.5 g
Total Grain: 16.25 lb
Mash thickness: 1.7 qt/lb

Water lost: 2.44 g (16.25 * .15)
Total water needed: 13.94 g (11.5 + 2.44)
Mash amount: 6.91 g ((16.25 * 1.7)/4)
Sparge amount: 7.03 g (13.94 - 6.91)

A simple spreadsheet makes this all very simple...

Back