BruControl: Brewery control & automation software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Setting up new mega and Ethernet card. Not sure what to use for MAC address as its not labeled on the board itself?

If it’s W5100 based (aka Ethernet Shield 1) then you need to generate one. If it is W5500 based (Ethernet Shield 2), then it typically is included on a label on the underside of the shield.

If you need to generate one, as @oakbarn mentioned, you can create one (e.g. A1:B2:C3:D4:E5:F6), and you must not have duplicate addresses on the same network.

Hi all,

I'm interested in using BruControl on my next label build. I would like to keep the control PC, display, and arduino interface all in the main panel. I have come across SBCs that can run windows and have an integrated arduino coprocessor (like the Odysee X86J4105800). This id's an elegant all in one solution that would fit perfectly with my vision. However, is it feasible? Looking at the BruControl site there doesn't seem to be any interface firmware for this type of setup. Is it possible to get a custom build of the interface firmware for this solution to work?

Hi all,

I'm interested in using BruControl on my next label build. I would like to keep the control PC, display, and arduino interface all in the main panel. I have come across SBCs that can run windows and have an integrated arduino coprocessor (like the Odysee X86J4105800). This id's an elegant all in one solution that would fit perfectly with my vision. However, is it feasible? Looking at the BruControl site there doesn't seem to be any interface firmware for this type of setup. Is it possible to get a custom build of the interface firmware for this solution to work?

Hi, this is definitely an option. If you look a few posts above (a couple of times), I mention this board and threaten to buy and test one! First, we do already have firmware posted for the co-processor (SAMD21 aka M0), so no problem there. Second, it *looks* like the Odyssey is connected to the SAMD21 via a UART, so I am fairly confident it will work out of the box... just use the "serial" implementation of the firmware.

If it’s W5100 based (aka Ethernet Shield 1) then you need to generate one. If it is W5500 based (Ethernet Shield 2), then it typically is included on a label on the underside of the shield.

If you need to generate one, as @oakbarn mentioned, you can create one (e.g. A1:B2:C3:D4:E5:F6), and you must not have duplicate addresses on the same network.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HG82V1A?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title&th=1This is the Ethernet board I bought.
Still having issues with Ethernet connection (even with a new mega and Ethernet board.) The port lights are actually on on the router and the board lights illuminate when connected but no connection. Serial works great. Going to try powering via the jack next. Not sure what's going on. 😩

Jeez.... sorry man. We just haven't found the source of the problem yet. It sounds like it is not the ethernet shield or MEGA if you are having the same problem. I would suggest a new cable (either CAT is ok, thought I doubt it is the cable unless it is crazy long), or potentially an ethernet switch. The cable can be checked by plugging in a known good device, like a laptop, to see that it is working. Also, what kind of router is it? Do you have the ethernet ports on it set to auto speed and duplex? If you are forcing a speed or mode, it is possible this could cause an issue. Possibly try another router (I know that is not convenient, but perhaps you have an old one laying about). Does your router report (based on the shield's MAC address that you selected above) any reports or logs? If it is a modern kind, it should report status of plugged-in devices. When you enter the setup... does it take the settings ok? When you then enter it in debug mode (send '%1&14;' via termite), what does it report back? If you are using DHCP, is it reporting an IP address, or no?

It is also possible the hiccup is on the computer side... perhaps a firewall issue or blocking? You can try using a TCP software like Packetsender to send test packets (send TCP packets with just a semicolon to the IP address of the interface, using port 5000, and you should get a semicolon back.)

If you like, I can send you a "test" firmware that will eliminate BruControl altogether and will allow the shield to pull test data from google - this would show if the communications pipeline (hardware) is working OK, including the router, cable, etc.

Worse comes to it... we can maybe jump on a zoom call or skype to try to debug it further.

Jeez.... sorry man. We just haven't found the source of the problem yet. It sounds like it is not the ethernet shield or MEGA if you are having the same problem. I would suggest a new cable (either CAT is ok, thought I doubt it is the cable unless it is crazy long), or potentially an ethernet switch. The cable can be checked by plugging in a known good device, like a laptop, to see that it is working. Also, what kind of router is it? Do you have the ethernet ports on it set to auto speed and duplex? If you are forcing a speed or mode, it is possible this could cause an issue. Possibly try another router (I know that is not convenient, but perhaps you have an old one laying about). Does your router report (based on the shield's MAC address that you selected above) any reports or logs? If it is a modern kind, it should report status of plugged-in devices. When you enter the setup... does it take the settings ok? When you then enter it in debug mode (send '%1&14;' via termite), what does it report back? If you are using DHCP, is it reporting an IP address, or no?

It is also possible the hiccup is on the computer side... perhaps a firewall issue or blocking? You can try using a TCP software like Packetsender to send test packets (send TCP packets with just a semicolon to the IP address of the interface, using port 5000, and you should get a semicolon back.)

If you like, I can send you a "test" firmware that will eliminate BruControl altogether and will allow the shield to pull test data from google - this would show if the communications pipeline (hardware) is working OK, including the router, cable, etc.

Worse comes to it... we can maybe jump on a zoom call or skype to try to debug it further.
The Ethernet cord I have is about 100' long. Not sure about auto speed and duplex. I don't mess with my router settings. When the issue originally came up, I was at home with a completely different router, I'm now at the brewery showing same issue with a brand new factory router.

I'll try the debug and send what it reports. I've tried DHCP and static. If BruControl doesn't connect I typically log into router and see if I see an Ethernet connection. It doesn't show up there whether DHCP or static (tho the router port lights up).

Regarding computer, I have tried my home computer, my wife's laptop, my brewery laptop and my brewery computer. No changes.

Sure please send the test firmware, I feel any info I can share with the group will only help me get this solved.

Zoom meeting would really help. Networks have never been my cup or tea and I now remember why.

Do you have a short cable? The 100' might be an issue (though I doubt it). I just ran a test on a MEGA with a W5100, and it worked OK. I ONLY have the interface connected to the computer via USB cable (no external power) and the Ethernet cable plugged in... no I/O or anything else. On my shield, the red POWER LED is on, the LINK LED is flashing, and 100M and FULLD LED's are on. The RX LED flashes with network traffic. The TX LED flashes during the Packet Sender test below.

Sent the debug code '%1&14;' and got the IP address:

1596514796920.png

Alternatively, you could use the Fing app (assuming the router is also a WiFi access point) to find the IP address, and it will list something like wiznet19C820.localdomain.

I can ping it:
1596515150375.png

I can arp it and get the MAC address (note I made this one up - creative, huh?)
1596515670295.png

Then sent a semicolon to that IP address via Packet Sender, and got a '#;' back (sorry, I said semicolon only above).
1596514759046.png

BTW, be careful about changing IP and MAC combinations. Once you set these in the interface network setup, don't change them. It will require you to re-boot your computer in order for the network tables to get corrected (even if you delete the entry in the ARP table, it seems sometimes).

I'm working through wifi disconnect issues... Usually for 3-5 secs on irregular intervals. It reconnects no problem, going to start some in depth troubleshooting this afternoon... This is a new issue since firmware update. No hardware changes.

Hi, this is definitely an option. If you look a few posts above (a couple of times), I mention this board and threaten to buy and test one!

Teaches more to assume I found a unique solution and not bothering to use the search function.....

Good to know that solution is feasible, I will plan my buikd with this in mind.

Hi, this is definitely an option. If you look a few posts above (a couple of times), I mention this board and threaten to buy and test one! First, we do already have firmware posted for the co-processor (SAMD21 aka M0), so no problem there. Second, it *looks* like the Odyssey is connected to the SAMD21 via a UART, so I am fairly confident it will work out of the box... just use the "serial" implementation of the firmware.
You keep convincing me to think more and more about this route!

It's cool... but I have three holdbacks... 1: the SAMD21 is a little limited in the number of I/O you would likely need in a legit control enclosure, and 2: if you make a boo-boo and juice a pin, you are out of luck on the whole thing, and 3: you don't have an easy pathway to screw-terminal connections.

A USB cable isn't exactly a big commitment, so if you wanted to put a mini-PC in an enclosure and connect it via serial to an M0 ($20) or an ESP32 ($12), it gives you options going forward. I'm seeing mini-PC's with N4100, 8GB LPDDR4, 64 GB eMMC, 128 GB SSD, case, power supply etc. for ~$200. So no real savings in cost.

I just snagged this on A->Z: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0899N2L6T/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_DuJkFb6BVVTB5

Normally $230, but they had a lightning deal for $35 off, so of course I had to go for it. Celeron J4125, 8GB LPDDR4, 128GB M.2 SSD, 4X USB 3.0, 2X Gigabit Ethernet, 4K HDMI 2.0/Mini DP Port, Dual Band Wi-Fi, Win10 Pro. I'm not going to use it for BC, but I will test it and see how it does. I've run BC on an atom Z8350 with 2GB (which works but slow on drawing), so I'm expecting this to be much better.

That said, for this price, I'm not sure what the draw for the RPi is... I do expect we will see a BC installation running on the RPi under Windows on ARM soon... but for those acquiring new hardware, by the time you get an RPi kit ($100) and a good drive for it ($40), I don't personally see the point of saving $60 against the backdrop of an advanced brewery that costs hundreds to thousands. I'm happy to hear where I'm missing it though!

I just snagged this on A->Z: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0899N2L6T/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_DuJkFb6BVVTB5

Normally $230, but they had a lightning deal for $35 off, so of course I had to go for it. Celeron J4125, 8GB LPDDR4, 128GB M.2 SSD, 4X USB 3.0, 2X Gigabit Ethernet, 4K HDMI 2.0/Mini DP Port, Dual Band Wi-Fi, Win10 Pro. I'm not going to use it for BC, but I will test it and see how it does. I've run BC on an atom Z8350 with 2GB (which works but slow on drawing), so I'm expecting this to be much better.

That said, for this price, I'm not sure what the draw for the RPi is... I do expect we will see a BC installation running on the RPi under Windows on ARM soon... but for those acquiring new hardware, by the time you get an RPi kit ($100) and a good drive for it ($40), I don't personally see the point of saving $60 against the backdrop of an advanced brewery that costs hundreds to thousands. I'm happy to hear where I'm missing it though!

I understand the ultra small form factor, but you can get something like a used dell micro desktop (not much bigger) with an i3 or i5, ssd, etc. for like sub $150 all day on eBay.

Very true. Great point.

Edit: I did just take a peruse through eBay, and you are on point... e.g. an i5 with 8GB & 1TB SSD for $170. I would also recommend same for touchscreen monitors. I scored one a couple years ago for a great deal, and it makes brewing awesome. Big screen = big real estate = more elements on screen. Works with my OCD need to be in control!

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is at all related to the "fix" but when I go to create a PID Device, Brucontrol will not allow me to name it anything that contains "PID" unless PID is the first word. So I can name it "PID HLT", "PID BK" etc or I can name it "HLT" or "HLT P" but when I put in "HLT PID" it reverts to the previously used name--at least on my machine. Is this a bug? Thanks.

I'm not sure if this is at all related to the "fix" but when I go to create a PID Device, Brucontrol will not allow me to name it anything that contains "PID" unless PID is the first word. So I can name it "PID HLT", "PID BK" etc or I can name it "HLT" or "HLT P" but when I put in "HLT PID" it reverts to the previously used name--at least on my machine. Is this a bug? Thanks.

Do you have any variables in any scripts named "HLT PID"?

Well, that is interesting. I wrote part of the script using "HLT PID" as what I imagined would be the PID device, before I created the device with the interface in Brucontrol. When I went to create the device, I had this problem. Are you saying that if "HLT PID" is in the script before you create the device, Brucontrol will not allow you to create the PID device with the same name? If that is the case, thanks for picking up on this so quickly.

My functional understanding is that everything that *CAN* be referenced in scripting needs a unique name. This includes the names of variables, scripts, timers, globals, inspectors, buttons, switches, as well as device elements.

I was able to name a script HLT PID and then create a PID element named HLT PID.......since variables cannot have two words as names, I'm guessing there is something else named HLT PID somewhere

I dont think it is a bug. BruControl will not let you name an element (no matter if it is a device element, alarm element, variable element, etc.) the same as an existing element. So if you are trying to name an element, it must be a unique name. When naming, there is no cross-checking into the script. Of course, in order for a script to run correctly, element names must reference an actual element. If a script addresses an element and works correctly, and you change that element's name, the script will no longer work correctly.

I have no problem naming a device HLT PID or antyhing PID for that matter:
1596746722162.png
1596746764726.png

Back