Brown sugar for priming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluedog

Reaction score
Hi fellas, I'm getting ready to bottle a pumpkin ale and was pondering using a cup of brown suger instead of corn sugar for six gallons. I've never used brown sugar to prime and was wondering how well it may or may not work. Thanks guys.

Brown sugar is good. But priming sugar should be measured by weight,not volume. Tasty brew has a fine priming calculator. Just use the cane sugar menu choice,since brown is just cane sugar to which molasses is added. Demerara sugar is another good one I found in the baking needs isle of the local grocer. It has a light brown sugar laced with a good amount of honey flavor to it.

I think brown sugar is perfect for a pumpkin ale, and the darker the better. The darker the sugar means the more residual carmally/mollasses flavor will remain after the yeast eats the fermentables.

Oh yeah! Adds some little more complexity to a brew. My Burton ale is going to get primed with demerara (raw cane sugar). It already has a toasty,butterscotch sort of aroma. So the light brown sugar & honey flavors of demerara should enhance that nicely. It also is getting a sort of golden brown/amber color to it. Like the pics,posters of old,& descriptions I've seen of Burton ales. The darker ones,anyway. I have seen more golden ones as well.
There are many more exotic sugar blends used by brewers here on HBT as well.

Thanks guys, I don't have a scale, for six gallons should I use 3/4 or 1 cup?

I think brown sugar is perfect for a pumpkin ale, and the darker the better. The darker the sugar means the more residual carmally/mollasses flavor will remain after the yeast eats the fermentables.

I'm about to keg my pumpkin ale. Would you rather carb with brown sugar or CO2? I've never natural carbed in a keg.

Latest posts

Back