Broken PH meter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogslapbrewery

Reaction score
So I have a Hannah phep5 meter and I've used it three times. Always calibrating before use, I clean with distilled water and use storage solution in the cap before putting it away. Needless to say I take good care of the meter. I'm getting .05-.10 difference from mash temp to room temp. My understanding is it should be around .25-30 higher at room temp. My last brew the mash temp was reading higher then room temp. I filter out my wort with a coffee filter so I don't have any bits of grain ensuring a more accurate reading. So my question is since my meter doesn't show a consistent .25-.30 between the two temps would that point to a defective meter? Or am I doing something wrong? This is my first meter anyone got tips or tricks with measuring pH?

Agreed with above, you must chill your mash reading down to room temp or your probe will go bad a lot quicker than normal. How long have you had it? Under normal circumstances I believe they last for about a year.

Right, I understand that but I only planned on doing it for the first couple of batches to get a feel for the difference between the temps.

I've has the meter for not even two months only used it for 3 batches. Shouldn't a new meter read the .30 between the two temps?

Your meter should never read pH @ mash temperature. Never. Ever.

Read at room temp only. It's the only reliable reading especially since you calibrate and store at room temps.

Back to your OP, yes, your meter may be broken, but only because you used it at mash temps. Well, no, probably not broken, but you will seriously degrade the life of the probe if you take "hot" readings.

Calibrate, store, and measure at room temp.

Hmmm so you think the first time I used it to see if mash temp and room temp truly are only .30 apart I ruined the probe?

Back