Broken bag while steeping grains :( any effects?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickhead

Reaction score
Hey guys - Last night when I was steeping my grains the bag broke and all of the grains went this way and that. I strained the grains out and moved forward to boil the hops and what not.

It seemed as if this wouldn't be too terrible of a problem... but the beer looks pretty ugly and I didn't notice any fermentation yet when I left this morning (although it had only been like 12 hours).

Has anyone else experienced this before? Any ill effects?

Thanks again,
Nick

The main risk that you run if you boil with the grains still floating around is extracting tannins from the grain. Tannins are what gives wine it's mouth puckering taste. However if you strained the grains out before boil you shouldn't have a problem.

Back in the day people didn't have fancy dancy grain bags, nor did the have mash tuns..they did everything right in the brew kettle and then strained it out...

If you strained before boiling than all is well!

SO it will be fine..and remember fermentation can take up to 72 hours to start..and bubbling in the airlock, or lack of means nothing...only the hydrometer tells how fermentation is going...

Back