Broke my hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sergiy

Reaction score
I have broke my hydrometer, is it toxic? I had stevenson reeves hydrometer, there was some kind of metal balls in the bottom

The balls are lead shot, so don't eat them. :) Otherwise, you shouldn't have any difficulty as long as they're not in your beer or your food. Sweep 'em up and put them in the trash. Along with the hydrometer.

A lot of people are hyper-nuts about lead, and in some circumstances it's an issue--such as in lead paint that kids might eat. But as long as you wash your hands thoroughly after handing lead, it's not a big concern.

Sorry about that!
But you're not alone. You can add your mishap story to the list and update the count.
The balls are lead shot, so don't eat them. :) Otherwise, you shouldn't have any difficulty as long as they're not in your beer or your food. Sweep 'em up and put them in the trash. Along with the hydrometer.

A lot of people are hyper-nuts about lead, and in some circumstances it's an issue--such as in lead paint that kids might eat. But as long as you wash your hands thoroughly after handing lead, it's not a big concern.
From what I've read, they're just iron or steel pellets. Try a magnet.

Back