Broke my hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Sergiy

Active Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2018
Messages
32
Reaction score
7
I have broke my hydrometer, is it toxic? I had stevenson reeves hydrometer, there was some kind of metal balls in the bottom
 

mongoose33

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2015
Messages
8,098
Reaction score
8,005
Location
Platteville, WI
The balls are lead shot, so don't eat them. :) Otherwise, you shouldn't have any difficulty as long as they're not in your beer or your food. Sweep 'em up and put them in the trash. Along with the hydrometer.

A lot of people are hyper-nuts about lead, and in some circumstances it's an issue--such as in lead paint that kids might eat. But as long as you wash your hands thoroughly after handing lead, it's not a big concern.
 

IslandLizard

Progressive Brewing
Staff member
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jan 9, 2013
Messages
18,545
Reaction score
8,687
Location
Pasadena, MD
Sorry about that!
But you're not alone. You can add your mishap story to the list and update the count.
The balls are lead shot, so don't eat them. :) Otherwise, you shouldn't have any difficulty as long as they're not in your beer or your food. Sweep 'em up and put them in the trash. Along with the hydrometer.

A lot of people are hyper-nuts about lead, and in some circumstances it's an issue--such as in lead paint that kids might eat. But as long as you wash your hands thoroughly after handing lead, it's not a big concern.
From what I've read, they're just iron or steel pellets. Try a magnet.
 
Top