Briess GF Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anemic

Reaction score
http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs_Recipes/Briess_HoppytobeGlutenFreePaleAle_Aug2007.pdf

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs_Recipes/Briess_HoneyofaGlutenFreeLager_Aug2007.pdf

I hope those links work.

Those are two GF recipes from Briess the maltsters and frankly on paper they look like they have serious potential.

Has anyone tried either? Feedback?

I might try that pale ale straight away.

Do you suppose they actually intended us to ferment the lager 12.5 weeks in primary? Sounds like a secondary fermentation period.

Will report back results in this space in due time.

To gluten freedom! Cheers!

I do not like Cascades with sorghum. Sorghum already has enough citrus/grapefruit for me, thanks!
i'd look at using the softer english hops, but that is just me.

good luck!

Since I have enough Cascades I wil bitter it with Cascades then go Centennial for flavoring. Thanks.

I bet nobody here noticed these recipes from Briess previously or we'd have had some feedback by now. Forging ahead nonetheless...

why thanks lcasanova!

I finally clicked on ODaniels GF ale from his pulldown, and that is interesting as well.

I think I will sub Centennial for Cascades in the briess ale recipe and give it a go. It seems to be in keeping with the conventional wisdom on GF brewing

The common threads seem to be:
*it is impossible to overhop a sorghum beer
*we should always use the maltodextrin
*follow the aussies who may have tips on adding soy protein to achieve a normal head.

Also, that thread got me over the aussie home brewers. Those aussies are amazing cutting edge hombrewers! Now I need to see what I can learn from them as well. (brew in a bag, cool in a cube, now this from down undah!)

cheers big beers,
anemic

I've done cascades with a sorghum extract recipe as a flavor hops and it turned out really nicely.

In fact, it was the closest recipe I've yet made to tasting just like a regular non-GF beer. The strong citrus flavors of cascades overpowered the mild citrus flavors of the sorghum, meaning that nothing tasted funny.

I've done cascades with a sorghum extract recipe as a flavor hops and it turned out really nicely.

In fact, it was the closest recipe I've yet made to tasting just like a regular non-GF beer. The strong citrus flavors of cascades overpowered the mild citrus flavors of the sorghum, meaning that nothing tasted funny.

cool. good to hear it worked for you. I did two 3-Gallon batches side by side. one English Pale Ale and one IPA. [hop schedules posted in the O'Daniel recipe https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f78/gluten-free-sorghum-ale-116999/]. I liked the English PA much better, as did the gluten-free person that I made it for. (looking back at it- i used Cent/, Chinook and Cascade, not just Cascade).

so that is the basis of my statement. but honestly, you don't really know until you try it... do both! :ban:

hey GF Brewers, would you please let me know your opinion of those Briess recipes I linked at the top - specifically:

So sorghum brews stay in the primary fermenter the entire time? Or do you rack per typical 10 to 14 days, into secondary?

The recipes call out 1.5 weeks fermentation for the ale, and 12.5 weeks for the lager. They don't specifiy primary/secondary.

What is typical with sorghum?
thanks

PS - if that ale only needs 1.5 weeks from boil to bottle then woohoo

Hoppy Ale is in the fermenter. I used some of the forum advice this time, some I banked for later use.

*Nottingham ale. Recipe called for two. I had one. I bought another.
*recipe didnt call for irish moss. I forgot to jot it down. I didnt add it.
*maltodextrin / rice extract fail. The maltodextrin I bought @ the LHBS was actually a DME - I was too hasty and didnt read it completely. dumdum. Then I failed to acquire rice extract - truly was not meant to be. No worries.
*the instructions are contradictory/incomplete visavis the hop schedule, so I assumed more hops by a bunch just for fun. Hop schedule is thus, 1 full oz of Centennial at:
60 mins
20 mins
5 mins
flameout
and will add 1 more oz @ end of secondary. I plan to go 2 weeks in primary 2 weeks in secondary. I think I read someplace that you want to dry hop for 2 days. I will look into that sometime in the next couple weeks to see what cognoscenti here have to say.

About the crazy heavy hops; I really enjoy the flowery, aromatic hop flavors of todays more evolved IPAs, not the bitter hops of early IPAs. If this is not a Pale Ale per se, that is quite alright with me. I want a lot of cool complex flavors, and I hope this acheives it, and also may compensate for the lost benefits of not having the rice extract & maltodextrin.

Hoppy Ale is in the fermenter. I used some of the forum advice this time, some I banked for later use.

*Nottingham ale. Recipe called for two. I had one. I bought another.
*recipe didnt call for irish moss. I forgot to jot it down. I didnt add it.
*maltodextrin / rice extract fail. The maltodextrin I bought @ the LHBS was actually a DME - I was too hasty and didnt read it completely. dumdum. Then I failed to acquire rice extract - truly was not meant to be. No worries.
*the instructions are contradictory/incomplete visavis the hop schedule, so I assumed more hops by a bunch just for fun. Hop schedule is thus, 1 full oz of Centennial at:
60 mins
20 mins
5 mins
flameout
and will add 1 more oz @ end of secondary. I plan to go 2 weeks in primary 2 weeks in secondary. I think I read someplace that you want to dry hop for 2 days. I will look into that sometime in the next couple weeks to see what cognoscenti here have to say.

About the crazy heavy hops; I really enjoy the flowery, aromatic hop flavors of todays more evolved IPAs, not the bitter hops of early IPAs. If this is not a Pale Ale per se, that is quite alright with me. I want a lot of cool complex flavors, and I hope this acheives it, and also may compensate for the lost benefits of not having the rice extract & maltodextrin.

Sorry I didn't see this before you brewed...a few thoughts:
  • The recipes on Briess are about 1/4 of the basis for my GF haus ale recipe here and here
  • I dont think your hop schedule is 'crazy heavy' and I would probably add more if I were making a GF IPA
  • You probably got dextrin or carapils DME, just send it along to an extract brewer on the forum!
  • Brown rice extract could be added later on, just boil in water and add to fermenter slowly. Maltodextrin can be too.
  • You would probably have been fine with one notty.

thanks kersh. primary smells lovely. Since I've made plenty of mods to the original recipe, mine shall now be known as Flowergarden GFIPA and when I dial it in, prove it out, taste test it & can give it the ol' two thumbs up, I will post my own recipe. I am looking fwd to posting updates but I am afraid that we heading into the Easter season already and planning longer fermentation brews like that Briess GF Lager will be the order of the day.

To Better Brewing!

Briess GF Lager

I am thinking lager too, but maybe not until summer. I only do about 4-5 GF beers a year though, so you should definitely try it and see.

I just don't see how that clean of a beer can hide the sorghumy taste...would be quite interesting.

EDIT: I would NOT use maltodextrin in a lager btw.

EDIT 2: The corn syrup can probably be replaced by brown rice extract.

I am thinking lager too, but maybe not until summer. I only do about 4-5 GF beers a year though, so you should definitely try it and see.

What?! I brew a GF beer at least once a month, sometimes twice!! I need to get a lager setup though. Maybe once I move in the spring I'll take care of that.

What?! I brew a GF beer at least once a month, sometimes twice!! I need to get a lager setup though. Maybe once I move in the spring I'll take care of that.

My monthly production is about:
20-30gal of barley or wheat based beer split between me and a buddy of mine.
5gal of GF beer for my GF and less for my Mom.
5gal of cider for people who don't like beer or if someone doesnt feel like beer or wine.
6gal of wine.

If I had celiac disease, it'd be another story. Or if you guys feel like buying me ingredients, I'll research a bunch more! EDIT: Or you can convince my GF to drink more, either way.

My monthly production is about:
20-30gal of barley or wheat based beer split between me and a buddy of mine.
5gal of GF beer for my GF and less for my Mom.
5gal of cider for people who don't like beer or if someone doesnt feel like beer or wine.
6gal of wine.

If I had celiac disease, it'd be another story. Or if you guys feel like buying me ingredients, I'll research a bunch more! EDIT: Or you can convince my GF to drink more, either way.

Whew, do you have time for anything else!

And, uh, I'll research more if you guys buy me stuff too... :D

Whew, do you have time for anything else!

Get your larger volume system and see if you ask me the same question! I could pretty easily do 2 or 3 10gal GF batches in a couple hours. Now, drinking that much would be another story.

I ran the lager idea by SWMBO and it was described as a cross between the tripel and the ESB but lighter. She seemed pretty into the idea. (You try describing beer types to a person who has had Budweiser, one Witbier, one Raspberry Hefeweizen, and 7 GF beers) In short, I may be brewing it sooner than I thought and aging the crap out of it.

I just don't see how that clean of a beer can hide the sorghumy taste...would be quite interesting.

EDIT: I would NOT use maltodextrin in a lager btw.

EDIT 2: The corn syrup can probably be replaced by brown rice extract.

Hm, I enjoy your feedback. The lager has not been boiled yet so I welcome feedback. What else might we do ? More hops (late, aroma & flavor)? I notice that there is only 3.75# of soghum LME so that is a hiding factor, plus lotsa honey, plus the karo (or rice extract). Interesting input skipping the maltodex for the lager. I may look up some additional lager tricks (over on the standard forums).

Hm, I enjoy your feedback. The lager has not been boiled yet so I welcome feedback. What else might we do ? More hops (late, aroma & flavor)? I notice that there is only 3.75# of soghum LME so that is a hiding factor, plus lotsa honey, plus the karo (or rice extract). Interesting input skipping the maltodex for the lager. I may look up some additional lager tricks (over on the standard forums).

I will expand a bit...

Lager basically means 'clean-tasting' and 'dry' (yeah, it means 'to store', but anyway...). Maltodextrin is the opposite of dry, it makes beers sweeter. Lagers are also usually lighter in ABV/body, hence the less sorghum.

I think the recipe as written sounds fairly good. There are no real tricks to a lager except for temperatures.

EDIT: I would shorten the ferment time to 2 weeks or so @ 55F, do a diatecyl rest, and then lager for at least 4 weeks.

Please confirm: diacetyl rest? lower the temp prior to racking to secondary then lagering?

Thanks for educatin'! Good- I will roll it out as is written, while jacking up the hops a gentle touch to attempt to drown out sorghum off flavors.

Please confirm: diacetyl rest? lower the temp prior to racking to secondary then lagering?

Thanks for educatin'! Good- I will roll it out as is written, while jacking up the hops a gentle touch to attempt to drown out sorghum off flavors.

Don't go too bitter, and dont bother with hop flavor. Lagers are about aroma and clean taste.

Diacetyl rest is the opposite, raising the temp prior to racking. Usually around 60F is good, for 1-3days. You can also taste for it instead, but I do it just to be safe. If you want to taste, look for butter taste.

kersh your beersite is easy on the eyes. very nicely done.

thanks for the tips. I plan to combine your no - pils - pils with the briess gf lager recipe (due to whatever it is that I have on hand for my boil) and hit it as soon as I have the time for a boil, which will be soon!

The Flowergarden GF IPA went 15 days in primary.
046 OG (seemed bizarrely low compared to target 055 I believe, but I was patient w/the gravimometer and thats the highest I could get it to read)
014 going into secondary
put 1 oz of Centennial hop pellets in the secondary and racked ontop

The scent of this brew so far gives me reason to be tremendously hopeful. With a target FG of 016 I am somewhat reluctant to let it go too long in secondary. I don't see any airlock activity, so that's good but I don't want it to become more dry (by way of excessively low FG) than it was intended to be.

Meanwhile I am experiencing a cruel gluten withdrawal. Got a severe cold, can't perform per my usual athletic self. This GF program (& the gluten cessation) may be reordering my entire physiology. I started out going GF in response to the rest of my family as we discovered that they were more clearly suffering from gluten intolerance. That move seemed to kick my own intolerance up several notches.

I made the Hoppy to be Gluten Free right off the directions as my first brew. It turned out pretty well, not the greatest, but good for a first try. I had some problem while making it in that half the bottles ended up cloudy and good, and half ended up clear and very sweet. After a few months in the bottle, it definitely improved.

I boiled the GF Lager recipe yesterday and I pitched some (very slightly glutenous) WLP 840 lager steam yeast I had banked. I can't see how that would represent too many glutens in the final product (from a starter wort of light dme ~1/2 cup). I used a sanitized turkey baster to grab heaps of yeast from the bottom of my mason jar. I warmed it, swirled it & added some honey prior to pitching. However, I plan to restart that WLP840 yeast for my bank using honey for a GF rating.

The other mod was using all the hops instead of leaving myself with leftovers, which I dislike:
1/2 oz Hallertau for 60 minutes, and also 1/2 oz @ 5 minutes
1 oz Cascade @ 10 mins instead of 3/4 oz
1 oz Saaz @ flameout instead of of 3/4 oz

I do full boils @ 6.5 gallons into the BK. This is batch #20 for me, and I have observed low OG readings for most of my brews. I only could get the OG up to 034 (target is 042). I relax.etc, but I have only hit the target a few times. The beer turns out fine, so it's not a huge concern, but technically I would like to hit my marks where possible.

The GF IPA hit the bottle yesterday, @ 002 FG. 1.5 cups of honey as priming sugar. Color is that of melted butter. This was my first dry hop experience. I clogged my bottle filler. I only had about 30 bottles. I had too much beer still in the trub of the secondary, and I had a clogged bottling bucket with 1.5 gallons remaining (representing a huge loss). I surely oxidized the heck out of the remainder as follows:
*pour the bottling bucket contents into the secondary trub, now have about 2.5 gallons of trub, primed beer & trub beer all mixed together
*clear the bottling bucket of hop clogs and resanitize
*9yr old brewery intern holds the mesh colander over the bottling bucket as I pour the trub/beer thru it. It strains all the hop leaves! I add honey to the large stirring spoon (maybe a few TBS). It sticks to the spoon. I add hot water to the spoon a few times. I stir. Repeat. Some of thee honey actually gets into the bottling bucket beer. (note to self: adding the honey to hot water ahead of time worked really well for the earlier priming sugar step, do that every time!)
*final tally is about 55 bottles which makes me happy as I hate to go thru all the trouble for low yields. I gave the bottle caps a special code for the oxidized bunch, as they may not be good due to bottling day handling errors and the entire batch should not be judged based on their likely reduced potential.
*Dryhop lesson learned is to make a loose teabag of cheesecloth next time (I dryhop in bucket so as to not make a mess of glass carboy, which scares me more & more anyway)
*Then I racked the lager boil (see above) into secondary after bringing the yeast back to life w/honey.
*Enjoying sorghum brewing when I wash the fermenters they are much cleaner than the sticky old regular malts & yeasts I guess. Nice.

GF IPA "Flowergarden" is very nice. If there is a funky sorghum background flavor it is difficult to pick it up. I find it's very refreshing, surprisingly light, and it's got all the herbal aromas and smells one would expect from the hop schedule. I'm really pleased with it. One test of a beer for me, is asking myself if I could drink this stuff for the rest of my life, and I totally could do that with this one, plus I have been led to expect that it shall continue to improve as it ages.

It's my 20th batch of hombrew, but my first gluten free brew, and it's more fun than the first one. Thanks for all the tips GF hombrewers. I'll follow it up right along with many more.

I have the GF lager close to 2 weeks in primary but it was slow to start for about half the first week, so I'll let her go thru to 2 weeks+ to slow down some, then go to a secondary, and put her either in my 54 degree room or my garage which should be in the 30's (ish - we have a warmup). Would be tempting to roll the yeast cake right into a second batch. Hm. I might do that.

oh man, I had three more (my limit) Flowergardens tonight and they are beautiful. My best yet. I've made Patersbier, Guinness, Steam Beer, Paulaner Weissbier, American Wheat, and now this Flowergarden and it's distinctly my best. Patersbier was really good. I am hoping the GF Wit will bring me close to that.

ohhh 'sweet'

I could get excited about that.
I've hit my busy season and I have THREE fermenters fulla beer, two lagers and a flowergarden. I gotta get busy doing homebrewer things.
Interesting that lager batch #1 I boiled the honey, and for batch #2 I added the honey later with the yeast. I'm sure there will be a difference. I'll report in with results.
Thanks

ohhh 'sweet'

I could get excited about that.
I've hit my busy season and I have THREE fermenters fulla beer, two lagers and a flowergarden. I gotta get busy doing homebrewer things.
Interesting that lager batch #1 I boiled the honey, and for batch #2 I added the honey later with the yeast. I'm sure there will be a difference. I'll report in with results.
Thanks

Should be much stronger in flavor. I added into the fermenter too.

I had a most odd fermentation schedule with far too long in seconday & primary for that matter with both batches I ran. Lager2 skipped secondary entirely. Other huge differences were Lager2 received Irish Moss which wasnt mentioned in the recipe & I didnt think of it till later or maybe saw that kersh used it, and I also did not boil the honey for Lager2. Both were primed per instructions, and have only about as much carbonation as any standard lager. The honey flavor is absent.

Lager1 is not very good on it's own and is cloudy. It just tastes off, I can't come up the defects, probably just sour in that yucky sorghum way. In an attempt to salvage a drinkable product I tried limes in the beer glass. This did not help. I then tried it Shandy style with a short of some organic lemon concentrate. Boy does wake it up. I really love it. I don't even like Shandy.

Lager2 has a film of sour "infection" on the surface in each bottle. After researching it there is no concern. Its clear and lovely on it's own. I tried it with a lime and it's alright, better than Lager1 but not better than it is on it's own. I tried it as a Shandy and it's not very good for that style. I would enjoy doing more of these and I wouldnt mind being out of the Shandy business, so I'll see if am able to make a decent lager in the summer time in the basement ambient ferm room. Cheers

Back