Briess Mesquite Smoked Malt, How much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkyl428

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am trying to put together a recipe for a smoked porter to brew this weekend, this is the first smoked porter I have ever done, the Briess spec sheet says to use 30-60% I was planning on 40% the LHBS says that is way too much and that I should only need a few oz of smoked malt to get the flavor I am looking for.

So has anyone had any experience with this malt, any advise would be appreciated. Here is the recipe I have so far

OG:1.063
IBU:32.25
SRM:37.09

5Lbs Briess Mesquite Smoked Malt
2.5Lbs Marris Otter
2.5Lbs Munich Malt
.75lbs Crystal 60L
1Lbs Chocolate Malt
.5Lbs Roasted Barley
.5Lbs Flaked Barley

.6oz Magnum 15%aa @ 60 min

US-05

I've never used mesquite smoked malt but I do smoke with mesquite a lot, I prefer it with chicken and in small doses. It is a very strong flavor compared to other smoke woods so I would definitely err on the side of caution a little.

I've never used mesquite smoked malt but I do smoke with mesquite a lot, I prefer it with chicken and in small doses. It is a very strong flavor compared to other smoke woods so I would definitely err on the side of caution a little.

Hmm so do you think I should stay near the minimum 30% that breiss recommends or drop it all the way down to a lb or less like lbs suggests?

Back