Brewzilla Gen4 Discussion/Tips Talk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried those settings. In fact, David Heath has a video as well. Unfortunately none of them worked. I think that once it reaches close to mash temp, the simplest way is to reduce the heating element power. That is something I am going to try next.
I have a PID on my charcoal smoker that controls a servo and a fan to adjust air flow, and I find with it I set the temp to 20 degrees less then my target temp then once it gets to that temp and over shoots, as it is starting to calm down I adjust the temp to what I want and it will then get there and be very close with out the crazy over/under shooting. So maybe try something like set the temp to 140F then have it wait 5 too 10 minutes then up to 160F , or whatever temps your aiming for, and see if that helps. Like a step set-up.

Last edited:
On my Anvil 10.5 240V I use 100% to heat to strike then use 60%. 75% to raise to mash-out then back to 60%. 90% to boil then back to 65% for my amount of boil off.

The issue I think with the 4 is that the sensor in the base does not get evenly mixed wort to read the temperature. This is due to its position and the circulation or lack of, of " warming wort".
Many kegland products develop in the real world of the user and this erratic temperature control and the new " upgrade" false bottom appears to be one of them.
I'd try mashing without the false bottom in and only put it in after the mash for the boil. After all it's purpose is to keep hop debris out of your fermenter I think ( that and cause temperature control chaos it seems).

Seems like they could release the firmware update to allow for BTLE temperature sensors much easier than manufacturing and distributing new false bottoms.

Talking of half batches, one of my reasons to go up to the 65L (from Anvil 10.5gal) is so I can do a little more than 23L batches much easier. I sometimes make about 12L of beer (10L keg + few bottles) and distill the rest for eau-de-vie-de-biere. To get a 750ml bottle @ 40% I need a bit more beer. I also like the idea of not having a tall narrow malt pipe stacked to the hilt.

At least I guess I am in no hurry to get my 65L Gen 4 here in the U.S. then!

The issue I think with the 4 is that the sensor in the base does not get evenly mixed wort to read the temperature. This is due to its position and the circulation or lack of, of " warming wort".
Many kegland products develop in the real world of the user and this erratic temperature control and the new " upgrade" false bottom appears to be one of them.
I'd try mashing without the false bottom in and only put it in after the mash for the boil. After all it's purpose is to keep hop debris out of your fermenter I think ( that and cause temperature control chaos it seems).
this is it in a nutshell. its simply a design flaw with all-in-one systems. you can't have a more effective thermowell sitting halfway up the pipe because it would block the malt pipe. so the bottom is the only realistic place to put it.

how to solve the problem? their new rapt setup with some sort of floating or top level temp probe. i assume it will average the bottom and top readings. its a shame that the issue can only be fixed via "upgrade" but thats just inherent in the design of these all in ones.....

this is it in a nutshell. its simply a design flaw with all-in-one systems. you can't have a more effective thermowell sitting halfway up the pipe because it would block the malt pipe. so the bottom is the only realistic place to put it.

how to solve the problem? their new rapt setup with some sort of floating or top level temp probe. i assume it will average the bottom and top readings. its a shame that the issue can only be fixed via "upgrade" but thats just inherent in the design of these all in ones.....
Isn't that the intent of the RAPT - Bluetooth Thermometer they are shipping soon?

yep. i'm saying that its a bummer this has to be an "add on" accessory instead of part of the system from the get-go. but given the physical limits of the design (nesting malt pipe) there's no way around it.

its by no means a required add on, you could just as easily use a thermometer a few times and develop a temp differential on your own. but if the system that now communicates with itself via bluetooth is able to take the upper reading and average out with the existing lower reading then it can do it all for you. it doesnt specifically say its going to do that, but i cant imagine it'd be that hard to work into the mix.

yep. i'm saying that its a bummer this has to be an "add on" accessory instead of part of the system from the get-go. but given the physical limits of the design (nesting malt pipe) there's no way around it.

its by no means a required add on, you could just as easily use a thermometer a few times and develop a temp differential on your own. but if the system that now communicates with itself via bluetooth is able to take the upper reading and average out with the existing lower reading then it can do it all for you. it doesnt specifically say its going to do that, but i cant imagine it'd be that hard to work into the mix.
I get ya, maybe I'm a sucker, and hopefully, MoreBeer will do a 'special' for those that bought the Gen 4 someday. With the same flaw design I the Grainfather with its ultra-high sticker price, I'm still planning to obtain the RAPT thermo.

I would still like to get a PILL via MoreBeer, but they don't plan to carry them.

I would love to get an update on my Craft Beer Pi setup which I initially planned to rebuild my brewery with, that manages my kegerator and fermentation box to upload data to the RAPT portal...

What I did with my all in one is fitted a T to the upright of the malt pipe, the side out goes to a whirlpool. This means I can recirculate onto the top of the mash but at the same time mix the wort near the heating element and the wort that is trapped between the malt pipe and the kettle wall. This mixing means the temperature is consistent and my PID controller ( retrofitted to my Guten ) manages to keep the temperature very consistent. The mixing of the dead space has also improved efficiency in the mash.
I have a separate temperature probe in the grainfather wortometer that is on the tube just before the wort recirculates into the mash so that the top of the wort temperature is known at any stage easily. No lid taking off etc.
No need for a bluetooth thermometer with this method.
I don't use the false bottom plate in my system.

I'm looking to get a Gen4, but haven't done electric brewing before. I see it comes with a lot of options (looking at MoreBeer site as a reference)...any recommendations?

Wort Chiller Connection Kit for Robobrew/BrewZilla
Neoprene jacket
RAPT bluetooth thermometer
Whirlpool arm
double pulley system
Lift-N-Lock pulley
sight glass
silicone tubing (looks like this is required)

I'm looking to get a Gen4, but haven't done electric brewing before. I see it comes with a lot of options (looking at MoreBeer site as a reference)...any recommendations?

Neoprene jacket
Whirlpool arm
double pulley system
Lift-N-Lock pulley
sight glass

Looks like the connection kit is currently out of stock, but Morebeer usually includes it free ("add the kit to your cart and use code ZILLAKIT at checkout").

After that, I would get the insulation jacket next. It noticeably speeds up you brew day. I gave up on the siteglass after the second one broke in less than 1 year. The standard metal recirc pipe works just fine and doesn't break.

I've never used the pulley systems. I don't find lifting the pipe (or bag) in 35L terribly difficult. I have the Whirlpool arm but have never used it (but if you like to whirlpool, that's what a i would get next after insulation jacket).

Neoprene jacket
Whirlpool arm
double pulley system
Lift-N-Lock pulley
sight glass
I'd suggest that you get the jacket and the tubing. Those are absolute must haves. If you do not have any other method of chilling that you use, get the chiller. All the others are unnecessary in my opinion.

Then again, I make small batches and so don't really need a pulley system. If you plan large ones, perhaps you do. The new design with the center drain makes the whirlpool arm a bit unnecessary so I would avoid that. Sight glass is a nice to have but does not really do anything for you in reality. The thermometer, again, is nice to get but you can always get that later.

Hope that helps.

Neoprene jacket
Whirlpool arm
double pulley system
Lift-N-Lock pulley
sight glass
My .02
Wort Chiller Connection Kit....it's gonna depend on what your particular setup is. for me, I chill with ice water in a cooler, so the only connection kit I need is hose clamps

Neoprene jacket....if you are brewing in a cold place, probably would be a good idea, if you brew area is inside or heated to room temp, then I would say don't bother. It may may a bit of difference in heating times, but what a PITA to put on (and, if using it, you need to remove it to chill, so therefore need to put it on every time). I brew indoors and mine is collecting dust....it was a waste of money for me (may not be for you)

Rapt bluetooth thermometer...don't know much about it. I'm guessing it is for monitoring mash temps. I use a 3.1.1 and when I check the wort coming out of the recirc hose, it is always about 2 degrees above what the display is telling me (the sensor for the display is in the dead space under the mash pipe), so that tells me that the entire mash has to be somewhere between those two temps, so I don't see the need.

double pulley system....unless you have a disability that will prevent you lifting the mash pipe (or you are getting a 65L(you didn't say), I would say waste of money.

Lift-N-lock pulley....see above

Sight glass.....from reading other posts on this, it would seem that they are prone to leakage/breakage....hard pass

silicone tubing....yep, gonna need more for chilling, etc. Bought mine on Amazon....word to the wise....don't try to save money and buy the thin walled cheap stuff.....spend your money ONCE and buy the good, thick walled tubing

YMMV

Lon

Edit: I missed the whirlpool arm....a must have as far as I am concerned. Keeps the hops moving around in the wort during hopstand and speeds up the chilling. I also let mine whirlpool for ten minutes after I have reached pitching temp, then let it sit and settle for 5 minutes. All the hop debris cones up nicely on the false bottom with very little making it to the fermenter....

Make the warming jacket out of a HDPE sleeping mat and spend the money on a whirlpool arm if you make hoppy beers or cooling accessories.

Thanks all for the input. There's enough common recommendations that I am comfortable moving forward with 35L system, connection kit, neoprene, and recirc. The bluetooth and pulley will come later as gifts.

Thanks all for the input. There's enough common recommendations that I am comfortable moving forward with 35L system, connection kit, neoprene, and recirc. The bluetooth and pulley will come later as gifts.
Amazing. All the best! Only word of warning: do your temp. tests before you start brewing - I am seeing fairly wild overshooting during mashing.

personally i'd say save your money on whirlpool arm. all you need is a few feet of 3/8 silicone and a stainless elbow in 3/8, like so.
6A164_4.jpg

you put the elbow into the tubing and drop it into your wort about 1-2 inches below the surface. hold the tubing up to the pump arm, measure for size and cut.

then once you're done with boil and ready to whirlpool you just maneuver the arm towards the wall of the kettle, attach the tubing, and twist it so the elbow points along the outer edge of the kettle. run your pump and whirl away.

i have two 3/8 hoses, one cut to length for making 2.5 gal batches, and one for full 5gal batches. probably took maybe 4 feet total. given how expensive silicone is its not a huge difference in cost. but the beauty is you can adjust the height of your returning wort. and when you're also running your chiller that means you can set your return up high which helps mix the cold wort and hot wort. the fixed one they sell only leaves you returning on the bottom- which is where your cold wort sinks anyways. not efficient for heat transfer, no mixing takes place.

not a huge deal. just an FYI.

Anybody get a chance to play with the Wi-Fi remote control aspects?

That’s the only part that makes me consider an upgrade.

coming again with this question- anybody had a chance to play with the wifi / remote control aspects? mobile phone app?

anyone?

coming again with this question- anybody had a chance to play with the wifi / remote control aspects? mobile phone app?

anyone?
I’ve used the Wi-Fi capabilities twice now having done two brews on the gen 4 Brewzilla. This is my first all in one and the Wi-Fi aspect wasn’t a huge selling point for me but it does seem to work well. I don’t find the app to be super intuitive but it functions well and I was successful at connecting, creating two different mash schedules, and sending a schedule to be run on the Brewzilla. When programming steps into a mash profile you can set whether you want a step to start/end in a predetermined amount of time or require a button on the controller to be pressed. I like this so I can walk away during the main part of the mash and then check the gravity and confirm that I want to step up to a mash out for example. The remote aspect is pretty cool too, this past weekend I turned on the Brewzilla to heat my strike water while waiting at the dentist…

I’ve used the Wi-Fi capabilities twice now having done two brews on the gen 4 Brewzilla. This is my first all in one and the Wi-Fi aspect wasn’t a huge selling point for me but it does seem to work well. I don’t find the app to be super intuitive but it functions well and I was successful at connecting, creating two different mash schedules, and sending a schedule to be run on the Brewzilla. When programming steps into a mash profile you can set whether you want a step to start/end in a predetermined amount of time or require a button on the controller to be pressed. I like this so I can walk away during the main part of the mash and then check the gravity and confirm that I want to step up to a mash out for example. The remote aspect is pretty cool too, this past weekend I turned on the Brewzilla to heat my strike water while waiting at the dentist…
Nice. i heard there was a way to set alerts, so that when it reached a temp, or maybe an amount of time, it’ll send you notice. That’s the other part I’d pay money for. You set up anything like that? I brew in the basement so It’s annoying to have to run up and down checking status constantly. And with little ones in the house I can’t just hunker down in the bent for hours at a time either. Hoping it holds up to the hype.

Nice. i heard there was a way to set alerts, so that when it reached a temp, or maybe an amount of time, it’ll send you notice. That’s the other part I’d pay money for. You set up anything like that? I brew in the basement so It’s annoying to have to run up and down checking status constantly. And with little ones in the house I can’t just hunker down in the bent for hours at a time either. Hoping it holds up to the hype.
I didn’t see any settings in that regard but if I remember right I’m pretty sure I got a notification on my phone each time it reached the end of a step.

I didn’t see any settings in that regard but if I remember right I’m pretty sure I got a notification on my phone each time it reached the end of a step.
found it. direct from Kegland. you have to log into the Rapt portal. looks like there's web interface and an app for phone....

RAPT/Wifi Connected
The new Gen 4 model is the first BrewZilla that connects to the RAPT Portal (RAPT Cloud). This portal allows you to track, record and monitor your brews online. This greatly reduces the need for handwritten records of your brew day as it's all done automatically. The RAPT portal also allows you to see every brew you have done in the past and control the brewery remotely so you can start pre-heating water remotely or simply keep an eye on the brewing process while you do something else. Get push notifications to your mobile phone of when to add hops or start the boil.
Along with this ease of access and control. The RAPT BrewZilla will also allow you to fully customise your brewday with profiles specifically tuned to your style of brewing or your recipe.
For example you could set up your profile to receive certain alarms or messages when you are required to do something. E.g. Adding grain when the strike temperature is reached. Mash-Out Alarm when you're ready to sparge, Salt / Hop additions when you've reached the boil. As well as hop stand additions or chilling instructions. All of this at the touch of a button that is preprogrammed to what you want to do. No more egg timers, no more phone timers. Everything controlled by the one area.

I've had an issue with getting error 5379 when trying to do an OTA update. I thought I'd post my "fix" to help anyone with the same 5379 error. I ran the check for OTA update a bunch, rebooted, forgot/connected WiFi, and rebooted my modem multiple times. I emailed tech support at Kegland and they said it was from weak WiFi even though my signal was always around -30dbm or less and everything else on my dedicated 2.4ghz network runs perfectly. Searched the internet pertaining to 2.4ghz networks and found recommendations to select between channels 1, 6, or 11 rather than auto. I put it on channel 11 and it failed but it took longer than normal to go from downloading to the error. Tried it a 2nd time on Ch 11 and it finally updated. Also found a RAPT group on Facebook that suggested enabling Bluetooth and "keep trying and it'll eventually download." Hope this helps.

Just got my Gen 4 today. Fired it up and controller had a setup screen for about two min and then just started flashing. Video attached. Anyone else have a similar issue or know what could have caused this?

Attachments

• IMG_0256.MOV
    11.1 MB
Just got my Gen 4 today. Fired it up and controller had a setup screen for about two min and then just started flashing. Video attached. Anyone else have a similar issue or know what could have caused this?

I have not seen that problem reported before, but it does not look good.

Just unplug entirely and see if it's a software glitch that resets (but it unfortunately looks like hardware problem and may need to return).

Last edited:
Received my Gen 4 a few days ago. Right out of the box, before I even plugged it up, I noticed what "appears" to be heat stains on the metal at the seam where the upper and lower sections meet. See picture below. I put it together and plugged it up. Did not press any buttons. Was prompted to set up rapt and wi-fi so I got my laptop and started that. After a minute, I noticed the temp was rising. Heat indicator on the screen was not on. It reached over 100 before I realized the elements were on and unplugged it. Waiting to hear back from Kegland on whether this is normal or not. I'm thinking not. Anyone else see stains like these are their Gen 4?

1667166302863.png

Received my Gen 4 a few days ago. Right out of the box, before I even plugged it up, I noticed what "appears" to be heat stains on the metal at the seam where the upper and lower sections meet. See picture below. I put it together and plugged it up. Did not press any buttons. Was prompted to set up rapt and wi-fi so I got my laptop and started that. After a minute, I noticed the temp was rising. Heat indicator on the screen was not on. It reached over 100 before I realized the elements were on and unplugged it. Waiting to hear back from Kegland on whether this is normal or not. I'm thinking not. Anyone else see stains like these are their Gen 4?

View attachment 785072
Others have reported this as I read that there were some units that were tested and were in the heater on state when unplugged. This was not supposed to be that way and the QA/QC process was updated. Seems you may have one of those units.

Since I'm aware of it, I plan to check upon arrival.

Others have reported this as I read that there were some units that were tested and were in the heater on state when unplugged. This was not supposed to be that way and the QA/QC process was updated. Seems you may have one of those units.

Since I'm aware of it, I plan to check upon arrival.
Thanks @jtrainer . Can you point me to where you read about that issue?

Mine had a bit of discoloration like that but I've since cleaned, brewed, and cleaned again and the blemish is gone. Mine also fired up the elements as soon as I plugged it in. I quickly unplugged it and filled it with a few gallons of water. That gave me enough time to set up RAPT and shut the elements off. You can either lower the set temperature or shut the elements off under settings.

Mine had a bit of discoloration like that but I've since cleaned, brewed, and cleaned again and the blemish is gone. Mine also fired up the elements as soon as I plugged it in. I quickly unplugged it and filled it with a few gallons of water. That gave me enough time to set up RAPT and shut the elements off. You can either lower the set temperature or shut the elements off under settings.
unfortunately I did not realize the elements were on in mine for a solid 1-2 minutes and the temp was showing as over 100. maybe it did no harm but I would hate to find that out a year down the road when the elements fail and I have no recourse

View attachment 785072
The issue with the elements turning on is EXACTLY what happened to me right before my controller died on me (see my post above).

My elements turned on as soon as the unit was plugged in for the first time. I caught it when the temps were around 90f and cut the heat then immediately added water to help dissipate any heat. May be a tad overkill but didn't want there to be any damage.

Has anyone successfully swapped out the plug that comes on the unit? If not, does anyone know if it would work to splice off the plug that comes with it and replacing with a NEMA L6-30P male? Something like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/AC-WORK...ug-with-UL-C-UL-Approval-ASL630P-BK/312562511

Yes, the plug that comes with the 220V unit is NEMA 6-30P which has L1, L2, G. The L6-30P also has L1, L2, G. Therefore that particular configuration will work as would any L1, L2, G plug or receptacle made for US 240V such as 10-50P.

You may want to wire in a GFCI PigTail for protection.

https://gfcistore.com/20-amp-inline-gfcis.html

I'm sure I'm not the only one, but has anyone who ordered the Gen4 2+ months ago not seen their order fulfilled as of yet?

According to the website I can pick up tomorrow but no word on fulfilling my pre-order.

Back