Brewshed build HVAC question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicadrick

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am in the middle of adding a 12X18X10 brewery inside my shop/pole barn. I have a Broan 355 attic vent that is intended to mount in the roof sheathing. I would like to mount it in an exterior wall of my barn in an area that is covered by the lean-to.

I am looking for suggestions on ducting the fan down so it draws from over the area where the kettles are located. I plan on putting the optional variable speed control on the fan and by-passing the temperature sensor.

It is spec'd with a minimum inlet area of 4 sq. ft. I am not sure that means.

If any HVAC literate folks could chime in on this I appreciate it.

Thanks and cheers!

I am not sure what you are asking, since there is no question in your post. The 4 sq. ft. just means to keep any ductwork on the inlet side at 4sq ft total or more to get full performance.

My thoughts on it:

It would seem to be fine if you just want to keep some of the heat away and duct it out, but I would be worried about using that to keep the place free of fumes. (If it is inside). 1000 CFM is not really going to be enough to provide a safe environment even if it is ducted right over your setup. I would just get an agricultural fan and put it on one side facing out and on the other side of the brewery have an opening to allow fumes to be sucked out of your brewery. Something like this: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAYTON-Agricultural-Exhaust-Fan-3C675?Pid=search (depending on your needs)

As for the Variable Speed control I would not bother, just get a fan that is appropriately sized in CFM and run it full speed.

Then again I am thinking that you are using this to clear fumes on an indoor brewing space, your post was unclear if that was it.

My fan is rated at 1200 CFM. My brewery has 2160 cu. ft. of air space. It seems that the 1200 CFM fan would completely exchange all the air from my brewery in less than 2 minutes at full speed. If that draw was attached to a hood over the kettles it should certainly be effective at removing the moisture and heat from the brewery.

The fan you linked to would require large ducting as you stated 24x24 duct. I would find a used Range hood and use that. CFM would be just fine and is designed for the application. 6 inch round pipe to duct it out and you would be god to go. That is my professional opinion.

Back