Brewometer kickstarter thoughts - digital bluetooth hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is fixed now in v3.

I also added the following:

v3.4.1
1. Added "Phase" to dashboard.
2. Added IBUs to dashboard. This data comes from the xml (Recipe sheet).

Some additional updates... v3.4.2

v3.4.2
1. Updated "Tilt" menu item. Included the setup option "Initial Setup", which was originally required to be ran from the scripts when you first setup your brewometer cloud. Added a notification that setup completes.
2. Updated "Tilt" menu item "Reset Recorded Tilt Data" to prompt if you are sure about deleting the Tilt data... If you say Yes, it clears the data. If you say No, it aborts.

For those who care.... I fixed an xml mapping issue on the Recipe sheet. v3.4.3 is the latest.

Hi mate, not sure what you fixed but my XML import worked with the last update and does not with this update.

Also I have not been able to get the Alerts working for some reason, been puzzling over this one.

Great work though I love this Sheet, I now have it working with my 4 Tilt Hydrometers

Hi mate, not sure what you fixed but my XML import worked with the last update and does not with this update.

Also I have not been able to get the Alerts working for some reason, been puzzling over this one.

Great work though I love this Sheet, I now have it working with my 4 Tilt Hydrometers

I just tested my spreadsheet, and the public version 3, and all alerts work and the xml import works, too. I just pm'd you to help you troubleshoot yours.

....I detest iOS....[but use] Mac OS

Sorry for the off topic but:

Wow! You are in a very small window of users there lol!

If you have embraced Mac OS, what about iOS do you not like? I use both together and its soooo nice. You're handicapping yourself on a lot of features you could enjoy by having both work in tandem.

Edit: WHOA this is a 3 year old thread....lol my bad

So this baby is live and ready to purchase? Sorry it's a long thread to read

Yes, it's ready. I've been using it for months now and it's flawless. I can't see brewing without it. In fact, I'll be testing it in commercial beer production here soon.

WOW looking at it it seems like an amazing product! Is the signal still strong inside a stainless fermenting vessel?

Edit: I really should read more....that's literally the #1 question on the FAQ.....Lol I'll be grabbing one for sure!

WOW looking at it it seems like an amazing product! Is the signal still strong inside a stainless fermenting vessel?

Edit: I really should read more....that's literally the #1 question on the FAQ.....Lol I'll be grabbing one for sure!

I have mine fermenting away in a sanke keg. If I put my tablet on top of the keg, it picks up the bluetooth signal fine. If I put the tablet on the outside of my chest freezer, with keg in the freezer, there's not enough signal strength.

I could use a dedicated phone. I have old iphones laying around all over my house

you could use a phone, however I'd imagine the results would be the same. It all depends on the signal strength of your device's bluetooth and wifi. Also, the Bluetooth version has to be 4.0.

Ya I just mean use a dedicated phone to just leave in my keezer laying on my ss brew bucket always plugged in and connected. I have an iphone 5c that's just laying in my office drawer that would be perfect for it.

Ya I just mean use a dedicated phone to just leave in my keezer laying on my ss brew bucket always plugged in and connected. I have an iphone 5c that's just laying in my office drawer that would be perfect for it.

I'm using an iphone 5c with mine and it works like a champ. If you buy a Tilt and have any issues, they are super responsive and will make it right.

Http://brewstat.us Works great with the tilt... Tried it on my last brew, quite happy with that over the spreadsheet and Google webpage method... Just a fyi all.

I would agree with you about brewstat.us. They've put together quite a companion product to the Tilt. UI is clean, functionality is deep, and the support is super responsive.

@EmDubeu

Just trying to get this up and running with the latest version you put out. The question I have is how do I get the spreadsheet URL now that it is no longer available on the Tilt menu?

Many thanks!

@EmDubeu

Just trying to get this up and running with the latest version you put out. The question I have is how do I get the spreadsheet URL now that it is no longer available on the Tilt menu?

Many thanks!

In your sheet, click on Tools menu, then Script Editor. When the script editor opens, select Publish menu, then select Deploy as web app. The URL under the field, "Current web app URL:" is the one you apply to your tilt app.

Make sense?

Using my Tilt in its first batch. It was tracking downward, nicely then hit a bit of a snag with the app and reporting to to BrewStat. Contacted both parties and got it sorted out (both were very responsive, BTW). Turned out that a data/cache purge of the app, then an uninstall/reinstall did the trick.

Once the data started flowing again I noticed that the SG was on the rise, rather than tracking steadily lower. Tilt CS commented that it was probably Co2 bubbles or hung a little on the side of the fermenter, as has been stated in previous replies.

So, last night I gently tapped, with the heel of my palm, around the sides and bottom of tthe SS brew bucket. The batch is only 3 days in to fermenting so plenty of action left for the yeast. Seems to have done the trick as my Tilt is back on track and it's reading almost terminal gravity.

One thing I noticed is these things hate cold (crashing)! I started my cold crash and the SG reading dropped down to 1.006 from 1.012 (which was correct) and stayed there. I think there is some mention of this somewhere in this thread but too lazy to go back through 94 pages.

Yes, the Tilts are definitely impacted by temperature. There's lots of evidence further back in the thread pointing to this; however, the manufacturer has repeatedly told me that's not the case.

I have a very similar situation to yours right now. I'm cold crashing a beer that finished at 1.013, and the Tilt is reading 1.004.

While an early adopter of the Tilts I continue to stand by my latest review - they are somewhat useful to watch for trends in your fermentation (when the battery doesn't die, gunk doesn't stick to it, or it bumps into the side of your fermenter); however they are fairly inaccurate in their measurements.

It's pretty clear the Tilt's software does not properly compensate for changes in temperature. People have been reporting this since the very beginning and other folks just believe the Tilt folks and say there's no issue. It's too bad - the potential is there for it to be correct (or correct within it's physical limitations.)

The reason I don't buy one is for all of the limitations @drgonzo2k2 pointed out. It's going to get crud on there, get stuck on the wall, whatever. Yes you can shake, tap, poke, and beg and plead to get it "right" again, but if I have to pay attention to that I might as well take a hydrometer reading. I really don't worry about sanitation and nearly any homebrewer is capable of taking a reading without infecting their beer. I've also made plenty of batches where I never took a hydrometer reading to see if I was "done." You can look at your fermenter and know when it's done with just a tiny bit of experience.

Now if someone gave me one, sure I'd use it and maybe I'd eat my words. It just "feels like" it introduces yet something else to worry about and fiddle with and that's rather contrary to the point (my point anyway.) One might wonder why I am following this thread if these are my feelings. Well, I'm a natural gadget person and this intrigues me. It makes me think. It makes me wonder if there's yet another way to do it and most of all it's just interesting. It just doesn't seem as if it's "good enough" for me to invest in but I am hoping that it improves.

One area where I think it might be helpful is fermenting meads and/or wines where you monitor the must for a gravity drop to feed the yeast or perform other tasks based on gravity drop. I hypothesize that these would be "cleaner" and less likely to gunk up the Tilt since there's no trub to get riled up (after the must comes off the skins of course.)

All THAT said, I applaud the makers of Tilt for finding a way to get passable results somewhat consistently. I guess there's clearly a market for it and I'm not going to hate on anyone that can make a business out of a pastime. It's a novel way to take a gravity reading, and apparently it's just what a a lot of people were looking for.

FWIW, I have two of them and while I agree they are not accurate enough to take the actual gravity reading at face value at the end of fermentation (they are always within a point at the start), I personally find them useful in tracking the general trend and trust that as an indication of when fermentation is finished.

I've used them for at least a couple of dozen batches now and haven't really had any issues with them getting stuck or fouled, pretty care-free for me...

I agree with @MerlinWerks... my experience is the same. For me it is very easy and I have basically stopped using a hydrometer unless if I was looking for a particular FG. You sanitize the Tilt with your other stuff, drop it in, and forget about it.

I agree the temp should be used for compensation and @drgonzo2k2 pointed this out well. Not sure if that is a firmware change or not. But it is repeatable behavior and you aren't crashing until you know your beer is done, so its really minor.

You know what gripe I really have? Battery status is not reported by the app. I know the battery is not reported as part of the beacon message. I use a BT scanner app and pull up the battery, but it would be nice for this to be integrated in the app.

Anyway, I think for anyone on the fence, if the $ is not a major deal for you - it is worth giving it a shot. The Tilt guys are also very responsible so if you have any issues, they will work with you. Not sure why there is no representation from them here, but they do communicate over email effectively.

I have one of the originals too. I don't think it matters. I use nRF Connect or bean's own LightBlue app.

Hey, thanks! I didn't even know they had an app. I assume you mean the Bean Loader?

Once installed how do you check the battery? Upload the GetBatteryVoltageSketch? Does that overwrite whatever the Tilt folks have already programmed on the device?

No, it's called LightBlue Explorer. A device named 'Brew' will come up in the list. Click it to connect. A green LED will start flashing on the unit. Click Options in upper right, then scroll down to Battery Service / Battery Level. It will be listed in %.

Alternatively, use nRF Connect and follow similar steps, but note the Battery Level here will be reported in hexadecimal.

Make sure you back all the way out when you are done because you want to disconnect. The battery drain is increased >10x while connected. That sounds like a lot but you are only in there for a few seconds.

Like drgonzo2k2, a significant drop in gravity reading ALWAYS happen when cold crashing. I don't understand why the development team insists that temperature has no effect on the gravity measurement, as it certainly does in practice. Every single time.

So basically, this little gadget cannot replace a real gravity measurement, if you want to know an exact FG. What I find it useful for, though, is a close monitoring of the fermentation. With this gadget, it is super easy to follow a "quick lager" method, for example: you can time your ferm temp schedule based on where the fermentation is at in reality (not after x amount of time). So I can start raising the temp after 50% of the fermentation, for example, to ensure good attenuation. It worked very well in that regards.

Besides the incorrect FG when changing temperature, I found the battery life to be very annoying. It almost looks like I need a new battery every month. On my last batch, the battery died after 2 days of fermentation. I think I may have left it open my mistake (left it "up", instead of upside down). I wish there was a way to know for sure when it's sleeping, and a battery level indicator in the app.

That said, the team has been very helpful: they sent me 2 replacements so far (the first was having very incorrect readings, and the second seemed to go through batteries within a few days).

According to the website it needs to be in a vertical position to turn off, not necessarily upside down.

FWIW, I started tracking the battery life on mine for the last couple of changes and I'm getting ~45 days with the old version and ~65 with the newer version. We'll see how those numbers hold-up over time.

Just got mine in the mail today and found out my old iPad is too old to work with it, bummer. Anybody tried loading the tilt app on a Fire TV Stick? I'm wondering if it would work from it until I can get another device.

Just got mine in the mail today and found out my old iPad is too old to work with it, bummer. Anybody tried loading the tilt app on a Fire TV Stick? I'm wondering if it would work from it until I can get another device.

Well I was able to get the app running, unfortunately my fire stick is too old too, as it's only Bluetooth 3.0. Gen 2 fire sticks have 4.0.

Disregard: Traced the problem to an intermittent router in my shop.

We had a power outage a few days ago and my Tilt stopped tracking and I cant' seem to get it to come back to life. The app shows to be receiving data. I have deleted the URL in the tracking box and reentered it again. I have republished the google sheets page and double checked the URL. I'm using a Samsung phone and I have verified that it is connected to the wifi.
I have restarted the phone too.

Anyone have any suggestions for me on this?

Back