Tilt Bluetooth Hydrometer Detailed Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did at one point. I couldn't figure it out and contacted the Tilt folks. They walked me through some back and forth steps that seemed pointless and I didn't have faith would do anything. In the end, it sounded like the problem may have been related to my habit of renaming the Tilt each batch with the beer name. So I went to download a new blank sheet and start over again. I found they had updated their sheet at some point this year and the new sheet seemed to have solved my problems. I renamed my Tilt for each batch, and it created a new Google sheet with that Tilt name each time. The old sheet used to have all the Tilt names in it, and I would just select from a drop-down within the sheet as to which one I wanted to look at.

So if you have an older version of the sheet, I would download from the Tilt website and start fresh again. It's worked flawless for me ever since.

@micraftbeer , thanks for the tip! Tilt responded by saying that should not be happening and asked a few questions. It will be interesting what they may have me do. In my case, this was the first time using it and naming it.

To follow up, Tilt support asked for a link to my log file. After they reviewed the data, they determined I needed a new unit.

Yesterday, I received the new unit with a prepaid shipping label to return the bad unit. In my case, Tilt has given great customer service and certainly has stood behind their support and warranty. I highly recommend them!

I am seriously considering buying another Spike CF10 and if/when I do, I will be buying another Tilt.

I just finished my first batch with Tilt. Unfortunately I received it 3 days after the airlock because it was an impulse buy after following this thread. I hadn’t taken a reading with a hydrometer just to compare digital vs analog method. Tilt finished at 1.012 and the glass hydrometer was not quite 1.013. Close to in between.

I used Tilt with Raspberry pi and with a new recipe app, Brewfather. They all work very well together. I had to have a tech friend help mostly with setting it up. Technical computer set up is not my forte but having a brew app dynamically monitor active fermentation is really cool.

@CodeSection I’m thinking of getting another tilt plus a spike cf also after this experience but not sure I want another 10 gal. Hmmm.

When I am reviewing the chart of my recent batch, it shows correctly on my iPhone. My previous batches showed correctly on my iPhone as well as on my IE and Mozilla browsers. Now, on the IE and Moizilla browsers it does not show correctly. I'm sure there is an easy fix. What do I need to do? Below is how it looks on a Windows 10 computer...
chart-1.png

This is how it looks on my iPhone and what it should look .....

Image-1.jpg

When I am reviewing the chart of my recent batch, it shows correctly on my iPhone. My previous batches showed correctly on my iPhone as well as on my IE and Mozilla browsers. Now, on the IE and Moizilla browsers it does not show correctly. I'm sure there is an easy fix. What do I need to do? Below is how it looks on a Windows 10 computer...View attachment 601789

This is how it looks on my iPhone and what it should look .....

View attachment 601790
In your browser > chart > edit chart > plug in some min./max. numbers for vertical-axis and right vertical-axis (allow bounds to hide data) should be checked!

Even though my browser settings do not save any history, I tried clearing the cache and it didn't change a thing.

In your browser > chart > edit chart > plug in some min./max. numbers for vertical-axis and right vertical-axis (allow bounds to hide data) should be checked!

@volsherdeers , I have been trying to edit items to no avail. Could you go into more detail?

I did receive an email from Tilt support that said "The Tilt Google template was not set up to work with Windows 10." If that was the case, then I do not understand why it correctly could be viewed on my Windows 10 with my previous brews. FWIW, when I now look at those previous charts, they now show with the same problem. Something changed...

IMG_1517.jpg

Even though my browser settings do not save any history, I tried clearing the cache and it didn't change a thing.

@volsherdeers , I have been trying to edit items to no avail. Could you go into more detail?

I did receive an email from Tilt support that said "The Tilt Google template was not set up to work with Windows 10." If that was the case, then I do not understand why it correctly could be viewed on my Windows 10 with my previous brews. FWIW, when I now look at those previous charts, they now show with the same problem. Something changed...

View attachment 601908
Agreed! Same here, something changed!!! I also notice previously the range stayed really tight till the SG dropped and then would automatically expand the chart, but not anymore.

Did you say chart? I would like to get my Raspberry Pi to show a gravity and temperature chart, and I wonder if it's already been done. Or were you hand-charting the gravity?

Here's a chart from one of my brews connected to my Pi 4 which connects to my home wifi and takes a reading every 15 mins.
You can see the gravity dropping quickly over the first few days. Then I raise the temp for a diacetyl rest before cooling.

However, I have noticed that the Tilt temperature takes longer to react (lags behind) the temperature probe on my GF conical. At first I thought it was a fault but now I realise that the Tilt is floating in liquid at the top of the brew whilst the conical probe is connected directly to the stainless surface near the bottom of the brew. It eventually catches up as the brew evens out. I did do a trial using water and saw the same difference which quicky evened out after a stir.
I also realise that the SG reading can be a bit unstable during the very active part of the brew however once this has died down it is accurate enough to let you see how the gravity is progressing & can be trusted.

Hope this helps.
Honey Beer fermentation chart 1.jpg
Honey Beer fermentation chart 1.jpg

Just used my Tilt for about the 10th time on a batch of stout. I‘ve had some variable readings from it before during the rowdiest stage of fermentation, but this time, in the late stage when it should be leveling out for the final 3 in a row - it actually climbed a couple of points. When I removed it to transfer to secondary, it had a massive gob of crap on the top end that was apparently growing in weight and throwing the reading off. The way this thing floats with its top just at the surface is a problem sometimes.

Back