BrewJacket Immersion Fermentation Chiller Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micraftbeer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've tried a few different fermentation temperature control systems. I recently did a detailed review on the BrewJacket Immersion Pro. It's not cheap, but the temperature control is awesome (stays within +/- 0.5 degrees of your set point). It's easy to get going, and its best feature is it's electro-thermal heat transfer engine. You don't have to mess around with pumping cold water, or shuttling frozen 2L bottles of ice. You set the temperature you want and then you can be gone on vacation, or just go about doing other things. I'm surprised there are no other competitors out on the market making use of this technology.

If you read the review and have any other questions about it, let me know.

http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2018/02/hands-on-review-brewjacket-immersion-pro.html

Thank you for the review. I started brewing Nov last year and live in PA so Fermentation temps have not been a concern so far but I am worried about them when spring/summer comes along. I have been researching my best options to control fermentation temps and ran across the BrewJacket. Although it seems expensive most reviews are promising as is yours. Advising someone new to the home brew game would you give this option a high recommendation or are other options available you feel might be better. I have the available space in my basement to make a brew room and build fermentation chambers, but I have gravitated to the fastferment system for my beers for a few reasons. I have two wall mounted. One of the reasons I like the BrewJacket is that I can ferment an ale and a lager at the same time. I am curious to hear your opinions.
Thanks!

The unit is great for beginners because it takes no special prep or maintenance. You just set the temperature and it does it. If that's colder than your basement, it chills it. If it's warmer than your basement, it heats it. Keeps it simple. Be sure to get the Immersion Pro, as that has capability to do heat and cold. The base Immersion, just does chill.

When you say fermenting an ale and a lager at the same time, you of course mean with 2 different BrewJacket units, right? Versus a fermentation chamber where everything has to be at one temperature. I totally agree. Sometimes I just have one thing fermenting, but frequently I'll have 2. And rarely do they need the same temperature at the same time. So being able to set them each to their own desired temperature independently is great.

One thing I haven't tried is the BrewJacket insulated bag for use on the FastFerments. I understand it's got some velcro seams and souch to go around the mounting hardware. I just use it with carboys or bucket fermentors, so it just slips in and there's a drawstring at the top. They seem like a pretty sorted out company, so I imagine they've got a good solution.

Thanks for the info and yes I meant two different beers fermenting at the same time. Because of cost I think I will purchase one for now as I still have some time for temps to warm up some. My basement area I am currently fermenting is around 64 degrees.

I have been using the original Brewjacket for about 4 years. It is not the Pro version which allows to heat as well as cool. It just cools. I had to replace the head unit from 2 years in as the original stopped working. In general I have been happy with it. However there are some issues that should be noted. #1 It is somewhat difficult to obtain gravity readings as you have to take off the head unit and attached rod to obtain sample. This makes for possible contamination problem if not careful. #2 Since the Brewjacket completely covers up a carboy you cannot easily see the fermentation activity. #3 It is difficult for one person to fit a full carboy into the brewjacket and or take it out especially if you use glass carboys. There is no side zipper etc. #4 The brewjacket site removed its forum page and as I remember it there was a fair amount of information about using the product that has been removed. Since they originally sold direct but now I believe sell thru distributors that may be the reason but not sure. The product works as advertised and if you do not have room for a small chest freezer or second frig this might be a good choice. However if you do have room then I think a small chest freezer with temp control would be better.

Latest posts

Back