Brewing Withdrawals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiedog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Have you ever felt the pang of brewing withdrawal? Ever had that listless feeling that you're missing something, or at least missing out? The first of the year was a busy time for me, so I for the first couple of weeks, I didn't brew. Then I got sick! I was hanging around the couch, feeling generally miserable, and not really wanting to do anything. The real problem started when I began to feel better, but didn't have the energy to go through a brew day. I started planning brews I couldn't do, and thinking about the beer I couldn't drink while I was medicated. No, I'm not an alcoholic. I just like to have a beer or two. Anyone else have a similar experience?

I too have not gotten in a brew day this year. I've got everything ready to go... But I'm working 3hrs from home for the next two weeks. So ready to get my next batch rolling

My neighborhood puts lights everywhere and I have to drag a hose down to my garage to brew so I haven't brewed since Thanksgiving.
Right after Nye I was injured and could not get my right arm wet until this week, and my wife and I just cleaned out the brewhouse!

Well... I hadn’t brewed in about 11 months. I overdid it in 2016/17, and just had way too much beer stockpiled, plus I got tired of most of it. I switched to red wine in 2018! (Buying it, not making it)

I finally dumped all the old beer, pulled all the lines and taps and kegs in my keezer and cleaned them, and jumped back in last weekend with my first batch of 2019. Then I brewed a second batch today.

So yes. Withdrawal... but much delayed I guess!

used to get the itch to brew every few days but currently i haven't brewed in almost 3 months and i'm kinda enjoying the calmness. however this calmness was allowed by 5x10G batch back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back brews towards the end of last year. Made so much beer i'm still working to open up kegs to do another set of back to backs.

Plan to brew first 2019 batch next weekend. Started the yeast for it today.

Only brewed 5 batches last year, a big drop from previous years. I wanted to brew more, but just couldn't find the time; always something else that needed to be done.

Hoping to get at least 1 a month this year.

I know the feeling... I've just finished brewing this years' first 5 batches and I couldn't be happier. Now I wait for the fermentation to finish and bottle. Then I'll wait a bit more for the carbonation to happen. Hmmm... I'll probably be drinking be first beers of the year somewhere half-way through February. But I was so restless up to the first brew day. I knew I was supposed to do something, so I did.

Cheers! ( PS: I'm also not an alcoholic, but I enjoy craft beer in all shapes, forms, colours, ABV, etc. )

The same thing happened to me this year. I was very busy, short on money and then when I finally had the time and money I got sick. finally got my first brew day of the year in this weekend. The biggest problem I found with extended periods without brewing is the amount of empty bottles overflowing into my kitchen.

Just put a batch of Vienna Lager in the fermenter this weekend and still feel like I need to brew. I feel that way a lot, but still I manage to pace myself. I don’t really have a pipeline of brews going. The time between brews really allows me to take time to research and tweak my next recipe and process. So that kind of satisfies me for a while.

Have you ever felt the pang of brewing withdrawal? Ever had that listless feeling that you're missing something, or at least missing out? The first of the year was a busy time for me, so I for the first couple of weeks, I didn't brew. Then I got sick! I was hanging around the couch, feeling generally miserable, and not really wanting to do anything. The real problem started when I began to feel better, but didn't have the energy to go through a brew day. I started planning brews I couldn't do, and thinking about the beer I couldn't drink while I was medicated. No, I'm not an alcoholic. I just like to have a beer or two. Anyone else have a similar experience?
I've brewed about once a month since Thanksgiving. It depends on my work schedule, mostly. When I work , I rarely have time for much else...work(12 hrs a day/6 or 7 days a week), eat ,sleep , rinse, repeat until I get to zombie mode. When I'm off ,I have a brew or 2 planned out already. It gives me relaxation to unwind from all the hectic non-stop work schedule. However, it does depend on what my empty bottle situation looks like.

This year I'm planning/scheduling when I am going to brew, and trying to split up the days prior to the brew day to get everything lined up and ready to make it easier. I probably wouldn't have brewed this weekend because of a snowy & windy weekend, but I want to keep on a schedule and have a stout ready by St.Patty's day and have my fermenting equipment ready for the next brew - a Helles.

I have to apologize for starting this thread and not getting back to it for a couple days, Well, I did brew yesterday, and what a relief! An Irish Red. If I only have as much fun drinking and sharing it!

I haven’t brewed since early December. Had a new addition to the family mid December. I need to brew bad!

I took a few weeks off in November, kinda feeling the pinch right now with nothing to drink and several batches that still need conditioning time before they're ready to enjoy. After several weeks off I was anxious about starting back up so I spun up a nice big starter in two steps and soaked some oak cubes in rum and bourbon, all of which gave me a couple of days worth of warm-up activities and by brew day I was ready to go. Maybe I was just really enjoying getting back to brewing, but I think it may have been my smoothest and most efficient brew day yet.

My resolution for 2019 is to jump into kegging, it was the hassle of bottling that caused me to take a break in the first place. I'm planning just a small, basic 3-tap keezer with space for three more kegs to lager. It's all I really need now and I can expand it to 6 taps and get a second freezer for lagering down the road when I want to go bigger.

I couldn’t brew nov/dec and it was killing me , about 2 weeks ago I got a chance and brewed a Pilsner that’s about to start laggering . I’m on a diet and working out so no beer for now. Going to brew 4/5 laggers and get them In bottles to lagger all summer and hopefully in April I can get one batch of pils done to keg and drink over the summer. I’ve decided not to brew over the hot summer . I might make a wine or mead though since my fermentation chamber will be empty of beer this summer.

I finally had my first brew day of the year last weekend. I love tinkering and learning so I wish I Could Brew more just for that aspect.

I go through withdrawal every year at this time due to my CPA tax season work schedule. Brewed a couple weeks ago but that’s it now until late April. Have to live vicariously through my brewing mentor and this forum in the meantime.

I brew like crazy in the fall to have enough to last, and then I take the winter off. Based on my setup it's just impractical to brew when it's below freezing, though I could figure something out if I was desperate. I try to focus on other brewing related things in the meantime so I don't get too stir crazy.

I was out of town for several months on a brewing gig. I began to really miss the freedom I get from my brewery, and the quality of my beer over that which is controlled by someone else. So I made plans for at least weekly brewing when I got home in the fall. Two weeks before my return I had my wife running inventory on my supplies and she discovered a few cocoons attached to the outside of a grain bag. She soon learned that they were everywhere. Also larva crawling around. Ended up having to destroy a lot of grain. So I ordered more grain. By the time I got back home I was sick. Couldn't get over it. Couldn't function. After two months of this hell I'm finally feeling better. I finally got in a short brew day around mid December. It was one of the easiest brew days I've ever had. I expected a train wreck because of the time away, but no, everything was effortless.
And then I lost a large portion of my hop inventory. But I will not be deterred. Never give up! Never surrender! Activate......the Omega 13.

I’m getting twitchy... less than 2 days now.

IMG_2084.jpg

I'm always hankering to brew. I love the process and the outcome. The smells, the creativity, and bonding time it creates makes it addicting. If I'm not brewing I'm making something in the slow cooker or smoking some salmon and chicken. I like making things I can consume that take a really long time to make. Haha.
The last time I couldn't brew was when my 2nd was born. It sucked. I had a nice stash of homebrew though to tie me over but I still missed brewing and all the cooking. We bought a house last June so I've already gone through 100+ lbs of 2 row and plenty of chicken!

4 1/2 years after a brain injury and tore up shoulder and only being able brew 1 or 2 times a year when my oldest son was home on leave to help me. I finally bought a Brewie and now I can brew without help again and I have brewed 4 times in 2 months.... really missed it. Read so many books, found HBT.... now trying decide what to brew on Friday. Holidays emptied 2 kegs. I'm sure Superbowl will empty 2 more. Damn I missed brewing.

4 1/2 years after a brain injury and tore up shoulder and only being able brew 1 or 2 times a year when my oldest son was home on leave to help me. I finally bought a Brewie and now I can brew without help again and I have brewed 4 times in 2 months.... really missed it. Read so many books, found HBT.... now trying decide what to brew on Friday. Holidays emptied 2 kegs. I'm sure Superbowl will empty 2 more. Damn I missed brewing.
Welcome back brother!!

Thanks, glad to be back. So happy to be brewing again. I have to thank my lucky stars I spent the money i did on the Brewie because I fell asleep during my brewing the other night, part of the reason I wasn't allowed to brew without a babysitter/assistant.

Laundry room floor is cleaned spotless.

I started making first half of my brewing water last night with the RO system (this time of year it only does about 2G/hr). When i was shaving this morning it hit me that i didn't turn it off last night. That'll wake you up in a hurry.

Turns out i made all my brewing water and then some over night.

I get brewing withdrawals all the time. Didn't get to brew much between Thanksgiving and New Years. Had plenty of beer on hand, though. Did a quick 1 gallon batch on 1/5 and on 1/21 I did a double brew day of 2.5 gallon batch of American Amber and 1 G batch of APA. Fermentation chamber is full and I'm already wanting to brew again even though I don't have anywhere to put it where I can control the temperature. Planning on an Irish Stout and an Irish Red for my next brew day which probably won't be until 2/18.

Laundry room floor is cleaned spotless.

I started making first half of my brewing water last night with the RO system (this time of year it only does about 2G/hr). When i was shaving this morning it hit me that i didn't turn it off last night. That'll wake you up in a hurry.

Turns out i made all my brewing water and then some over night.

Try something like this and when the memory has you feeling like you stuck your head in the old brown you will be thankful it was there. It will also save cleaning time from those overflows.
https://www.menards.com/main/plumbi...153238829.htm?tid=-8047047365705789857&ipos=9
There are many sizes to fit your needs and it will give you emergency water if you need it for some reason. You will also never have to remember to shut off your RO system again.

Try something like this and when the memory has you feeling like you stuck your head in the old brown you will be thankful it was there. It will also save cleaning time from those overflows.
https://www.menards.com/main/plumbi...153238829.htm?tid=-8047047365705789857&ipos=9
There are many sizes to fit your needs and it will give you emergency water if you need it for some reason. You will also never have to remember to shut off your RO system again.

I considered a tank this size (actually larger) about 2 months ago when i added a tank to my RO system. The problem is the tanks are only about 50% usable due to the bladder, max at half the line pressure, reduce the efficiency of the membrane, and reduce the quality of the water. Reasonably i need to have 20G of stored water, which takes about a 40G tank. A tank that size is quite large, and also quite expensive. I may do something like in the future but for now i settled with a 5 gallon (3.2 usable) tank so i can feed my fridge. I added a block valve to the tank for when i'm making brewing water I come straight off the membrane with no back pressure.

Lucky for me i have a floor drain 15 feet from the where the overflow happened so it was mostly contained.

Back