Brewing with Wild Rice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

45thparallelhopper

Reaction score
Has anyone had the chance to attempt a brew using wild rice as a supplemental grain? I have read bits and pieces about it, but nothing really specific.

If anyone has some input, I'd greatly appreciate it

I have not, but (as usual) I will recommend Randy Mosher's Radical Brewing, which has a few recipes that make use of it, plus some additional description of the grain. I think he has an ESB that uses wild rice as part of the grain bill, which I think is supposed to add a nutty complexity while keeping the body from becoming too thick. But I don't have my copy in front of me (although I do read that book periodically as though it were a religious text).

Flying Fish did a brew using wild rice in their Exit series beers. iT was very good. You can email them and ask how they used it. I emailed before with questions about another of their beers and they were very good about emailing back with answers.

There is a brewpub not far from me that has a wild rice lager always on tap, as their flagship beer. It's 40% wild rice.

I have a friend who uses a couple of pounds in his cream ale, and it's really nice as well.

Even though I harvest my own wild rice, I've never used it in a beer, though. I don't tend to do lighter beers, like the kind with rice, very often at all so it's not something that I'd tend to use.

May I ask the name of the brewpub? I get to the UP on occasion. Do they distribute by any chance?

Oh, it's not in the UP! It's in Minocqua, WI, called Minocqua Brewing Company. My daughter used to live in Minocqua and we'd stop there. Good beer, good food, super slow service though!

Oh heck - I have had it. :D

Their crusted salmon is to-die-for.

I generally like all of their beers.

Great view of Lake Minocqua, and friendly people.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back