Brewing With Vanilla Beans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If im splitting and adding vodka in a container, do i need to scrape the insides, or can i just split and the vodka will go to work. I was just going to pour the whole mixture into either primary or secondary and then do more vanilla/vodka at the time of bottling if i felt that it needed it.

Also, how long does the extract have to sit? The guy at my LHBS said it takes about a month of soaking the bean to create the extract that I can use. I'm reading on here that it only takes a week. Which is it?
I cut my beans down the center just enough to cut through one side so I can peel it open and use a knife to scoop out the seeds. I toss the seeds in the vodka/rum/bourbon and then poke at the clumps to get them to separate a little better, chop up the beans, and throw the pieces in.

I soaked the beans for my stout for a little over a week and the whole mixture smelled divine. I probably could have gotten more flavor extracted if they sat longer since I did end up adding some straight vanilla extract at bottling.

I soaked the beans and spices in Captain Morgan for my Pumptoberfest. It smelled strongly of rum when I poured it in, but it didn't contribute anything to the flavor when I tasted it. Maybe that will change after it carbs up, but it was only 2 oz. in 2.5 gallons of beer.

I let mine sit for some 3 weeks during primary fermentation. 4 or 5 weeks might've been better. But three weeks was darn good.

I plan on leaving it in primary for about 3 weeks then either transferring with the vanilla, or just tossing the vanilla in primary (havent decided yet). I can prepare the vanilla so that it soaks for that 3 weeks

Ha well I want to brew tomorrow, and I'm going to my LHBS after work today to get the ingredients and vanilla..so i can get them going tonight (1 day before brew day).

Is there a certain brand of vodka I should use, or would any kind work? I don't want to go out and buy a bottle of Grey Goose when I have Burnett's already lol.

Is there a certain brand of vodka I should use, or would any kind work? I don't want to go out and buy a bottle of Grey Goose when I have Burnett's already lol.

Stoli. Not because it will serve the purpose any better, but because you can drink the remainder. A handle of Popov would, at least to me, would be around a while.

Perfect. Thanks everyone you have all been extremely helpful..as usual. Wish me luck!

Ha well I want to brew tomorrow, and I'm going to my LHBS after work today to get the ingredients and vanilla..so i can get them going tonight (1 day before brew day).

Sounds like exactly what I'm doing after work today- grains, whirlfloc, and PBW. Do you have a good LHBS up there in Lansing? I've been very pleased with Adventures in Homebrewing here in Taylor, plus it helps to have them only 5 minutes down the street, especially for emergencies on brewdays!

Sounds like exactly what I'm doing after work today- grains, whirlfloc, and PBW. Do you have a good LHBS up there in Lansing? I've been very pleased with Adventures in Homebrewing here in Taylor, plus it helps to have them only 5 minutes down the street, especially for emergencies on brewdays!

Red Salamander in Grand Ledge is my go-to store. It is about 10 min from my house. They usually have all the ingredients I need and they are usually quite helpful. Though, they can occasionally be a bit elitist.

I've not been to Capital City Homebrew Supply in Lansing, but I hear good things. Whenever I call there, they seem to have just sold out of a few of the ingredients that I need.

Alright, my LHBS had packages of 6 beans that come in resealable bags. I only used one. What is the best way to store the other beans for future use?

Alright, my LHBS had packages of 6 beans that come in resealable bags. I only used one. What is the best way to store the other beans for future use?

The ones I get from Costco come in a little tube with a stopper so I keep mine there. I imagine you could vacuum seal them if you have one. If not, a resealable bag might be your best bet.

Good luck with brew! Report back with your results.

Let's see one of those pics make it on to a beer bottle!

I'm hoping fort some good shots for just that purpose! Maybe another month before warm lake water hits cold air to get fog on the lake at sunset or sun up. That'll be for my Lake Erie Steam-dampfbier label. Raining today, darn it. Wanted to hit cascade park for some fall shots. That'd be good for an amber or ESB or?...

Let's see one of those pics make it on to a beer bottle!

I'm hoping for some good shots for just that purpose! Maybe another month before warm lake water hits cold air to get fog on the lake at sunset or sun up. That'll be for my Lake Erie Steam-dampfbier label. Raining today, darn it. Wanted to hit cascade park for some fall shots. That'd be good for an amber or ESB or?...

I use a mason jar. So long as you use the remainder within a reasonable time (6 months?) I have not had an issue. I just don't open it often.

It was quite fun creating the extract. I ended up getting a package of 6 beans from my LHBS. I took 1 and split it open, scraped the meat, then I diced up the bean shell and added it all to a small tupperware container with about 4 oz of plain vodka. After a couple days it smells amazing. I am going to let it go for about 3 weeks, then I will add it to my secondary after I transfer my beer.

I must say, vanilla beans are quite pungent and oily lol. It was hard not getting the meat all over my fingers, but I think I did it right. I will post results as soon as I am drinking on of the beers.

I used a filet knife. It cut through pretty well, but it wasn't the best at scraping the little seeds out. I got most of it though. Based on how the extract smells so far, I'd say I did a sufficient job.

I cut the beans in half down the middle then chop them into 1-2" long sections and toss them right into the secondary fermentor (you want fermentation to be over so the yeast activity doesn't drive off some of the vanilla aroma).

A 1 to 1 1/2 weeks is typically enough for you to have a noticeable vanilla character from 2 beans in most beers.

Last one I did with this was a vanilla java porter which turned out great. :mug:

Hmm after I scraped, I cut the bean shell into tiny pieces..maybe 1/4" - 1/2" long. I only used 1 bean. I'm going to leave the extract alone for about 3 weeks before I toss the whole mixture in.

Not trying to bring up an old thread but I have a question...I brewed a blonde ale today (I know its turning to winter but some people around me dont like the better beers) and I made a 2.5 gallon batch to play with. I bought a few vanilla beans and was wondering how many I should use. I plan on doing the soaking in vodka thing unless the taste will come through since its a blonde. OG was something like 1.046 I want to say..
Thanks in advance!

I split and scrape 4 Madagascar vanilla beans into 5 gallon secondary of porter for 10 days. Perfect. Not overwhelming at all IMO. Sometimes I ever simmer a chopped up bean with the priming sugar at bottling time for that extra cookie crunch.

I only did 1 bean im my porter. I soaked it in 4 oz of vodka. Im sure i could have done more

Not trying to bring up an old thread but I have a question...I brewed a blonde ale today (I know its turning to winter but some people around me dont like the better beers) and I made a 2.5 gallon batch to play with. I bought a few vanilla beans and was wondering how many I should use. I plan on doing the soaking in vodka thing unless the taste will come through since its a blonde. OG was something like 1.046 I want to say..
Thanks in advance!

When I added 3 beans split and scrape to a mild cream ale I used to much V vodka about 6 onces worth and the flavor suffered but the vanilla was there tho it was weak. the beans soaked for 3 weeks.:)

Thanks in advance!

In your case, one bean might be enough. I used two soaking in vodka for the whole time of primary.

Back