Brewing with mineral water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best Type of Water to Brew

• Mineral Water

• Distilled Water

• Filtered Water

• Reverse Osmosis Water

• Regular tap water

Results are only viewable after voting.

mcohare

Reaction score
I have access to a wide variety of mineral water sources. Attached is a chart of the different mineral springs' water content. There are 9 different springs. If you are interested in water content, please review the chart and advise.

Mineral_Content_Chart Manitou Springs.jpg

My tap water tastes just fine. I've already brewed with my well water, albeit a bit hard, but it also tastes good.

You might want to post this in the brew science forum and frankly do some reading there. I have not read up enough on water chemistry to advise.

chickypad said:
Those are some seriously alkaline water sources. I would not use any of those for brewing.

The mineral content is through the roof as well....

Those are some seriously alkaline water sources. I would not use any of those for brewing.

Totally agree with this. At lease cut it 50:50 w/ R/O or something. Personally, if I am questioning my tap water, as I do this time of year with all the run off into the river, I use bottled spring water from the grocer's. Hasn't let me down yet, and the store brands are usually cheap.

Ive narrowed it down to one spring water from the store i like(i think) but sometimes not shure.I couldnt get a report from it and frankly dont really know how to go about even using the report to adjust.

I just go by my mash ph and adjust with salts til i hit a good 5.2ish. I almost think i like using r/o water with the brewing salts more but its lacking minerals so i use some yeast energizer which has them. Playing with water chemistry is not fun or easy.

Latest posts

Back