Brewing water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear of the delayed carbonation, I'm sure there will be sufficient yeast and by raising the temperature all will be well in due time. Nottingham yeast has a lot of virtues, but is one I don't use though a packet is always at hand in case of an emergency, but it could be 20 years since that happened. How long after pitching did you bottle?

My preference is for heavy top fermenting yeasts, but that's a story for another time. Nottingham does attenuate well and quite quickly leaves very little easily fermentable sugars. Did you add any priming sugars when you bottled?

I use Protafloc or BrewBrite and find such essential to enable clear wort be transferred to the FV. However, without suitable water treatment it is possible that even after Irish moss treatment there could be haze in cool boiled wort. Much that would be deposited in the boiler by Irish Moss will drop out later, some in the FV and the rest in the bottle.

What you have described is very typical of all grain brewing at the start, certainly nothing to give you concern, just part of the journey.

I used Nottingham because all the specs deemed it reliable for a bitter type beer. I doubt I will brew much in the way of light coloured beers unless maybe a Deuchars alike , an old favourite from Caley which was what I was trying to make this time, which is quite pale and a Weiss beer for the summer time. I am going to favour darker beers in the main though.
As to carbonation I added the suggested amount using the brewers friend calculator and it was bottled 16 days after pitching and straight from the fermenting vessel as I have always done. I am sure it will carbonate it was just at too low a temperature. As to the haze I suspect that you are right and that the water has not been quite right it was a light coloured beer of about EBC 7.5 ... trying to make that Deuchars IPA I love... ah well we live and learn as they say although it tastes not bad. I have Irish moss so will remember to add it next time... Doh!
I have new brewing system so I am going to make an ESB type for the first my first brew using it. Once I have perfected a clear'ish bitter I will return to the Deuchars IPA

How did you prime it? Maybe not all the bottles got sugar.

I made an American Porter with Nottingham; it was almost ready to bottle when I went out of town for a week -- that turned into a month. I was concerned that it wouldn't carbonate because it was so clear, but it carbed just fine in about 2 weeks. I started drinking it at 3 weeks. I prime each bottle individually. The next day, I give each bottle a little swirl and gentle shake to mix in the dissolved sugar because it's all sitting at the bottom. That might be an unnecessary step because the yeast will find it, but I fear they might have trouble with it because it's too concentrated.

16 days with Nottingham would be well attenuated, but you primed it, so as long as @z-bob advised, the priming was evenly distributed, all will be fine given time.

My beers are fermented for 3 to 4 days, letting temperature to free rise a little, then slowly cool to cellar temperature to clear, then cask a week from pitching. It could be bottled at that stage, but prefer a week or two initial conditioning in a pressure barrel.

I also give the bottles a daily swirl to rouse the yeast and speed conditioning.

Seems like you have a good plan in place.

How did you prime it? Maybe not all the bottles got sugar.

I made an American Porter with Nottingham; it was almost ready to bottle when I went out of town for a week -- that turned into a month. I was concerned that it wouldn't carbonate because it was so clear, but it carbed just fine in about 2 weeks. I started drinking it at 3 weeks. I prime each bottle individually. The next day, I give each bottle a little swirl and gentle shake to mix in the dissolved sugar because it's all sitting at the bottom. That might be an unnecessary step because the yeast will find it, but I fear they might have trouble with it because it's too concentrated.

No all the bottles were primed exactly the same... science training funnel in sugar in bottle moved from right to left funnel into next bottle from right and repeat 🤣 I gave the bottles a swirl today as well even though I added the sugar two weeks ago :thumbsup:

No all the bottles were primed exactly the same... science training funnel in sugar in bottle moved from right to left funnel into next bottle from right and repeat 🤣 I gave the bottles a swirl today as well even though I added the sugar two weeks ago :thumbsup:
That's how I do it, but I go left to right. :) I also don't do all of them in one batch; I prime about a dozen bottles, then I fill them, and put them out of the way. Then do another dozen. Etc. When you swirled the bottles did you see anything happening at the bottoms?

That's how I do it, but I go left to right. :) I also don't do all of them in one batch; I prime about a dozen bottles, then I fill them, and put them out of the way. Then do another dozen. Etc. When you swirled the bottles did you see anything happening at the bottoms?

You know I forgot to look! 🤣 They had been standing for a while so I suppose the sediment would have been raised? Anyway a watched beer never carbonates so I am just leaving them until next weekend.

Back