Brewing Solo vs. Brewing with a partner(s)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tend to brew alone, when I brew with others I get distracted and make mistakes. I brewed my first AG batch in about 7 months last month and it was just a peaceful day. Now when I bottle I can't get enough help!

I tend to brew alone, when I brew with others I get distracted and make mistakes. I brewed my first AG batch in about 7 months last month and it was just a peaceful day. Now when I bottle I can't get enough help!

HAH! Last brewday I had someone over. During the mash the hour flew by before I realized it, then I looked at the recipe and saw it called for 90 min so it worked out well hehe :D

Brew days usually end with me secretly fist-pumping and saying to myself, "You did it again you SOB, you made beer." That would be awkward if someone else was there.

Haha this is great! I experience the same euphoria after I brew. I also think its pretty funny that people have been brewing for thousands of years and probably thought the same thing :ban:

The first two beers I brewed alone and at night. I had a bad day at work the last time. Started brewing at 8pm (started scrubbing bottles) and didn't finish until 2 pm+. It was an amazing experience. I was buzzed right about the 30 minute boil point and were I doing anything LESS important like laundry, I would have given in and went to bed. But no. It was beer vs. the human body. "I will brew this beer!". I will never be the same ;)

The third time I brewed, I got the wife involved. I still played my pink floyd albums and even put on a little cardigans for her. She was amazed at the seeping of the grains and the wonderful aroma filling the room. She helped hold bags, tip buckets, stir, take hydro readings, and spray iodine everywhere :). At the end of the brewday, she said "wow, it's not about drinking, hu?" shes the best.

Now that I have my feet wet, I want to wet other feet, like my old drinking buddy from college. But his experience will be more hands on and he can lug the gallons of liquid.

The next time I do an AG batch, a friend has asked to help out as he is thinking about getting into AG himself. So I might change my mind about having a brew partner.

I brew alone like most of the comments here.Two kids under two yrs old, I'm a night brewer when there asleep. Everyone I know loves the beer BUT aren't into homebrewing so I've found it nice to be able to relax in the garage a brew up a batch.

Every time I brew, I let friends know. Especially friends who at any time showed an interest in brewing. I enjoy teaching others how to brew and I've found that I have spread this great hobby throughout my work place like a virus! The best part is that now I have buddies to make bulk buys with and "nerd it up" about beer! Hooray!

I can't imagine brewing a single batch without my co-head brewer (and wife of two years) Sam. She keeps me organized, makes sure everything goes in at the proper moment, and makes sure my focus doesn't wander (even when cleaning). Brewing is a part of our marriage, and not just a business.

I had a bad day at work the last time. Started brewing at 8pm (started scrubbing bottles) and didn't finish until 2 pm+. It was an amazing experience. .

An 18 hr brew day. That must have been quite an amazing experience. ;)

I've now brewed with other brewers 4-5 times. I enjoy the day alone, but it was nice last weekend having 2 others there to hang out with. Every time besides last weekend, I've brewed with a buddy and we do 2 10G batches and split them. It's nice getting two different beers, but I also have an interest in two simultaneous brews going on. It was nice last weekend brewing just my own beer and not worrying about the other guys beer. We're trying to get a decent sized group together. It was a fun experience for sure. Having 3-4 other guys there with their own brews going going on sounds like a good time. Need to plan better next time though and get the grill out.

I always brewed alone. Just how it is. I look at it like it's my time to relax and enjoy what I do. That being said my wife wants to start brewing so that she can learn the process and get more involved in it. Now bottling, that's another beast. My daugher is the "head bottling line director" or the "manager of the bottling plant" as she likes to call it. She is 10. She loves to bottle and fill each bottle just right and does it pretty fast. I guess brewing might go a little faster and cut down on clean up time and such if someone helped out.

beerloaf

I always brewed alone. Just how it is. I look at it like it's my time to relax and enjoy what I do. That being said my wife wants to start brewing so that she can learn the process and get more involved in it. Now bottling, that's another beast. My daugher is the "head bottling line director" or the "manager of the bottling plant" as she likes to call it. She is 10. She loves to bottle and fill each bottle just right and does it pretty fast. I guess brewing might go a little faster and cut down on clean up time and such if someone helped out.

beerloaf

Bottling is the one area I could live without so I always have help with it. I tell people if they want a bottle or two, they need to come over and bottle thiers!

I usually like to brew alone.

Start early Saturday Morning with NPR, "Car Talk", "Wait Wait don't tell me"...

I find that when I brew with someone, especially someone who has never done it before, that I spend too much focus on talking and explaining. Mistakes can happen.

It's more peaceful to do it alone, but I do enjoy it when my wife steps into the garage and has a beer.

I think I'm in the minority here as I have only ever brewed solo twice - and I wasn't a huge fan. My brother-in-law and I both started brewing together a number of years ago and almost exclusively brew together at his place.

We kick out the wife and kids, turn on some NHL 12 on the PS3, and kick back a few out of the kegerator as the day goes on. We have the process down to where we don't even ask each other what's going on, and everything always seems to end up right on target.

Cheers, and looking forward to double batch brew day on Sunday!

I swing both ways :). I brewed alone until I indoctrinated my son a year and a half ago when he was 17. It's nice to have a "brew monkey" to help set up, empty the mash tun, clean the kettle, and all the other little chores that go into a brew day. Plus it's nice to have someone to have a beer with during the down times of mashing, lautering and boiling. Last brew day he had to work so I went solo and turned on the BN to keep me company. Just as enjoyable but a lot more work.

I swing both ways :). I brewed alone until I indoctrinated my son a year and a half ago when he was 17. It's nice to have a "brew monkey" to help set up, empty the mash tun, clean the kettle, and all the other little chores that go into a brew day. Plus it's nice to have someone to have a beer with during the down times of mashing, lautering and boiling. Last brew day he had to work so I went solo and turned on the BN to keep me company. Just as enjoyable but a lot more work.

Just so long as he doesn't pitch the yeast! ;)

Oh, well if you are going to give him a beer, I guess he can pitch the yeast...

There are things to be enjoyed from either. When I brew with buddies it can be a little more rowdy if we're hitting the home brew pretty hard. It's also nice because one of us can man the grill while the other mans the kettle, which is something I don't get to do when I'm solo. We also can bounce ideas back and forth. Like others have mentioned brewing solo has its advantages. Sometimes the silence is needed after the stresses of everyday life. Other times I'll crank up one of the various brewing radio programs and just get immersed in it. So I guess my preference depends on how I'm feeling. And sometimes your brew buddies just crash your brew day anyway:mug:

brewbuddies1.jpg

mostly alone, but on occasion someone will be here just hanging out... not helping usually. my buddy wants to help on the next one tho...

95% of the time I brew with my brother out of necessity. My "brew stand" is my saw horses my cooler mash tun sits across and a turkey fryer burner. I do a lot of 12 gallon batches and while I can lift my keggle with 7-12 gallons of water/wort at various temperatures, I'd rather have the assistant to help make sure we don't spill it.

I am going to be doing some solo batches here, but those are going to be some 4% or so session beers for this summer where I can do everything in my original turkey fryer pot and lifting will be much easier.

Latest posts

Back