Brewing same beer and using yeast cake !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rented_mule73

Reaction score
Brewed a Pumpkin Ale and after tasting the tube off my first hydrometer reading I think that 5 gal will not be enough. Anyone think it would be ok to rack the first brew to my secondary and then just pour new wort over the yeast cake ?:mug:

It will perfectly fine if your beer is not too strong in gravity. I have done it sucessfully 3 times in a row with a beer that had 1078 OG.

Ok Headed to the LHBS today to redo the same recipe and rack it onto the yeast cake..... from what I hear a blow off tube will be needed because of the super active fermentation.

You will very much need a blow off tube. I made the mistake last Thursday of not using one. I racked a 1.084 IIPA onto a healthy US05 cake, literally 20 minutes later wort was violently pushing out the airlock. The lid actually loosened itself as well. I put a blow off tube on it and it filled up a pitcher full of yeast and wort in a few hours, yikes.

Not to hi-jack the thread, but what if you scooped/scraped say 1/2 or better of the yeast cake before racking the new wort in? I guess that may be difficult if your primary is a carboy but I would think with a bucket it would be no problem. Then no way overpitching issues.

Not to hi-jack the thread, but what if you scooped/scraped say 1/2 or better of the yeast cake before racking the new wort in? I guess that may be difficult if your primary is a carboy but I would think with a bucket it would be no problem. Then no way overpitching issues.

I usually use the calculators to figure out how much I need, then take that much out - its usually 1/3 to 1 cup, depending on the gravity. I wash/sanitize my fermenter and then add wort and reserved yeast. If you have a nice think cake, its surprising how little you actually need for an "appropriate" pitching rate.

Note, I'm not arguing with anyone who racks onto a cake and gets good results. I've not tried it, so can't judge. Just wanted to give another option.

Pitched my new batch of Pumpkin Ale after racking the first batch to the secondary... 2 1/2 hours in the blow off tube is bubble like crazy..... Ended up with a 1.058 OG.. Going to make sure I keep and eye on this so I don't blow up the joint......

mjohnson said:
I usually use the calculators to figure out how much I need, then take that much out - its usually 1/3 to 1 cup, depending on the gravity. I wash/sanitize my fermenter and then add wort and reserved yeast. If you have a nice think cake, its surprising how little you actually need for an "appropriate" pitching rate.

Note, I'm not arguing with anyone who racks onto a cake and gets good results. I've not tried it, so can't judge. Just wanted to give another option.

I do the same thing. I just pull out the whole thing and then determine how much I need to add back in. I started doing this because I wanted to clean my fermenter. I didn't know I could possibly over pitch until after the fact. I know plenty of people that just pitch onto the cake and they've never had any problems (that I know of).

I do the same thing. I just pull out the whole thing and then determine how much I need to add back in. I started doing this because I wanted to clean my fermenter. I didn't know I could possibly over pitch until after the fact. I know plenty of people that just pitch onto the cake and they've never had any problems (that I know of).

I brewed the exact same beer only addition was a 30 minute hop addition... same recipe .... I did how ever use a sanitized towel to wipe out the krausen ring......

Latest posts

Back