Brewing Salt Addition Double Check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tricerahops220

Reaction score
Making a BIAB batch this morning of Tire Hands Clone and wanted to double check my brewing salt calcs with someone else. 8.5 gallons of water to start (using Distilled because i dont have an RO yet)

1.7 grams of Chalk
4.1 grams of gypsum
9.1 grams of Calcium Chloride
6.4 grams of epsom
No acid additions

And it should yield 127 ppm Ca, 19.6 ppm Mg, 7.3 ppm Na, 147.7 ppm Cl, 148 ppm SO4 with a pH right on 5.35

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I don't know your grain bill (pale beer?), but you don't want any chalk in there. If you're needing to raise the pH, I would just reduce one or more of your other salts.

I don't know your grain bill (pale beer?), but you don't want any chalk in there. If you're needing to raise the pH, I would just reduce one or more of your other salts.

Right. Throw away the chalk for sure. It doesn't dissolve well, and you shouldn't need to raise the pH. If you do, use baking soda.

I think if you like that much sulfate and chloride in a beer, that looks fine. I don't, but that's just me.

Back