Brewing Question(s)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHTruBruDude

Reaction score
Hello, All,

I'm a novice brewer. A neighbor of mine (also a brewer, but with a few more batches to his credit) asked if I'd be interested in starting an experimental brewing group. I'm a naturally curious and inquisitive guy, so I'm thinking it could be fun. I had an idea of splitting up our first experimental batch into five smaller vessels for the fermenting. I was thinking of using five growlers in thee one gallon capacity. Is it possible to obtain a carboy bung that is sized for a standard growler? If so, could it be fitted to accept an airlock? Could a growler be used as a fermenting vessel, or should I maybe look into acquiring some carboys in a similar volume capacity? TIA

I actually have the 1 gallon growler with drilled stopper downstairs, I'll get you the number in the AM.

I believe it will be a #6 or 6.5.

Airlocks serve a couple purposes. They are designed to let excess gas out without letting bugs get in. Wrap a piece of saran wrap over the top of the growler and hold it in place with a rubber band. Poke a pinhole in the middle to let out the excess gas. Done.

Back