Brewing Lager at Room Temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zgardener

Reaction score
I bought a lager kit from AHS and just started a Maibock that I created myself. The guy at the shop told me that if I had to ferment my lager at room temp that it would be just fine as long as I lager it for a few weeks in my fridge around 34 degrees. I transferred the AHS kit to secondary and put in the fridge last night and I noticed a LOT of really fruity esthers, will these eventually go away as I cold age it? I used SafLager S23 dry yeast for the kit and repitched it for the Maibock.
Any insight? :mug:

The AHS gentleman was incorrect. According to Fermentis, S-23 can produce some fruity esters even at the recommended fermentation temps. I can only imagine it would produce a lot more at room temp, not to mention other undesired by-products. 59°F is the max temp in the recommended range for that yeast by Fermentis (and even that is a little high). Your fruity esters probably won't reduce much. Sorry. You could lager it for a good long time and that may smooth it out a little, but I wouldn't expect too much.

bummer, it'll make make an interesting hybrid I suppose, it smelled good tho!
[EDIT] I read some forums saying that it will taste just fine, someone said that it tasted crisper when done at room temp, hmmm, maybe that was a freak accident, but I can keep my fingers crossed

I used S-23 to make a California Common; fermented at 63°. It was very good, no fruity esters that I could detect.

I used S-23 to make a California Common; fermented at 63°. It was very good, no fruity esters that I could detect.

Good news, this is going a little warmer, probably 65-70 range, kinda depends on the temp outside. It smelled really fruity, but that doesnt really mean anything, The one time I had Anchor Steam it smelled nice and fruity but didn't really taste as fruity as I thought it would...

Back