Brewing in the rain - do I *need* a cover?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HibsMax

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I searched (Google and here) for an answer to this question but couldn't find an exact answer. I want to brew today but it's raining outside. I don't want to move back indoors because I'm addicted to the convenience of outdoor brewing.

Do I need to prevent rain water from getting into the brew pot? It's not pissing down so I don't expect I would collect too much water (I'm not concerned about volume anyway). I found a few threads about brewing with rain water which is not what I want to do. On one of those threads I saw a post by someone saying they do it uncovered and haven't had any problems but the majority of the replies were suggestions on how to cover it. I can certainly put something together to keep the rain out but I won't bother if it's not an issue.

Cheers, Max

I would cover it, personally.

Have you ever owned a rainwater basin? Even though the rainwater comes down unobstructed from the sky, it still carries particles of dust, pollen, etc.. Probably not enough to ruin boiling wort, but I'd rather play it safe myself.

I have a rain barrel (cracked) but I have never closely examined the water. It always "looked" clear enough but that means nothing.

I think I will put together a support from steel wire so that I can "hover" the brew pot lid a few inches above the pot. The rain is coming down straight so I don't really need to worry about lateral rain. I'm making the assumption that the DMS can still boil off with the lid in this position.

I brewed a stout recently and with ~20-30 minutes left in the boil it began to rain. I wasn't aware of it until I went to check on the beer with 5 minutes to go. After cooling I took a gravity reading and what should have been a 1.040 OG was only 1.029 (after 90'). The rain basically negated the boil-off rate. You're going to want to have some sort of cover from the rain.

If you cover it, don't cover it tightly ( more like put a tent over your head) as you want the boil off to get rid of DMS.

How about using a porch umbrella? I just bought a banjo burner and that's my plan if it starts raining during one of my outdoor brew sessions.

Thanks, Guys.

I will put together some sort of lid / tent thing. And then post a picture so you can all have a good laugh. ;)

How about using a porch umbrella? I just bought a banjo burner and that's my plan if it starts raining during one of my outdoor brew sessions.

I can do that too, although I have to dig it out from under the deck (it's probably more infected than the rain I am protecting my beer from. lol). I will be bringing it up soon though, now that the, umm, nicer weather is on the way. Hmmmmm.

My main concern was if rain was good / bad / indifferent. I can come up with a few ways to keep the rain out, I just wanted to know if it was necessary. Seems like the best approach is to just not take any unnecessary risks.

I have one of these..

EZ up Tent.jpg

and it has saved my ars a number of times and not just brewing. Check CL you can generally pick one up pretty cheep.

Before I moved inside with my induction burner, besides trying not to brew on days that there was rain forecasted, I had a pop-up tent ready to go just inside the door - well, that's where I keep it anyways. I did have to use it a couple times, when rain popped up out of nowhere.

Back