Brewing in in colder temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basemntbrew

Reaction score
Can anyone recomend a style of beer that would work well fermenting and conditioning in colder temps. Aprox 62 -65 deg any info would help , looking to start a project in my basement but it stays kinda cold down there ... First time brewer

Those temps are perfect for just about any ale - most of us wish we had those temps consistently for primary fermentation...

That's about what I brew all my beer at . Except a lager I go down to 50-55. I've never brewed anything higher then 70.

That's not cold, it is a good temp. Most yale easts will work very well at that ambient temp. It may be a little warm for ideal Scottish ale and a little cool for ideal finishing of Belgians, but you should be ok for the most part with almost ale yeast.

If you check out the yeast company's websites they generally have temp ranges listed. Keep in mind these are only suggestions, the yeast will work and work well at other temps as well.

You can do any style of Ale! The wort will heat up a bit while primary is going so it should raise the temp to be just about right! I ferment my ales at 68 degrees. Cheers

Back