Brewing Hacks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ny101

Reaction score
Hey guys!

So I have finally finished my 25th brew, and I was thinking about all the things I have learned along the way. I decided to make a list of all the things that made my brewing life just a little bit easier, focusing on inexpensive fixes to problems I have encountered along the way. Many of these things are things I have found littered around these forums, so credit due to the many members of HBT that have helped me along the way. Many of these are also probably intuitive, but for some reason, when I started brewing... I never thought about, so hopefully I can save some poor soul from making many of the mistakes that I did.

1) Spray Bottle for Star-San (or other dry on sanitizer). Using a spray bottle for this make sanitizing so much easier... especially the racking cane / bottling wand, various spoons and whatever else. I also end up wasting much less star-san.

2) Use racking cane to move cool beer from brewpot to fermenter; make sure to splash. For some reason I was always lifting and pooring from the heavy pot. My back thanks me every time I use this trick!

3) Make starters... you don't need a fancy flask or stir-plate. Using a Mason Jar and shaking is a good place to start. Also, I know this will probably be looked down on around here but sometimes I even make starters for dry yeast. I add yeast nutrient and aerate as best as my equipment will let me, and after a side by side comparison, I really can't tell the difference between pitching 2 packs of (re hydrated) dry yeast, and using a 2L starter + 1 pack. To each their own though.

4) Save your final runnings (All Grain). After I sparge, I can usually get about 1 gallon of 1.02 wort which would only serve to water down my original wort. This stuff is perfect to work with for a starter though. You can freeze it, or can it and save it for later. Bring to a boil for 15 mins / then cool before pitching when you make a starter.

5) Wash your yeast. There are tons of good threads about this around the forum. One of the things that I find not to be true is that yeast will only be good for a few weeks if you keep it in the fridge. I personally have had washed yeast sit in the fridge for a year... made a starter, stepped it up, and had great results. As a comparison, I pitched fresh yeast into identical wort and could not tell the difference between beer produced by washed and fresh yeast, same FG, same lag time, same character. Results may vary but try it out or keep an open mind.... I kick myself for all the times I dumped a yeast cake down the drain out of pure laziness.

6) Yeast has a huge impact on flavor. I know this goes without saying for many of you... but I learned this the hard way. I accidentally pitched the wrong yeast into a kolsh wort(long story), and magically wound up with a beer that was a "hefewiezen". It had 0 wheat, but I swear to god it almost tasted the same as another hefe I brewed properly.... Respect the yeast character.

7) Pick your yeast carefully (this is more subjective than the others). A lot of clone recipes settle for "classical" yeast choices. For example, if you are brewing a Guiness Clone, you are "supposed to" use WLP004 Irish Ale yeast. If you look closely though, the apparent attenuation character of this yeast is way too low for a dry stout. The same goes for the Anchor Steam Brew clones that call for California Common yeast.

8) If you mill your grain, use a spray bottle to "mist" your grain with water before milling. I sooo wish someone had told me this long ago... You can get a much finer crush, while preserving the grain husks. It also cuts way down on the "dust" during milling.

9) Top off water. I did not know such a thing existed when I started brewing. If your "OG" is too high, you can add tap/bottled water to adjust. I don't know how I didn't know about this before but man... it makes things so much better. Also, another tip... keep your top off water in the fridge so it helps further cool the wort if you add it.

10) DME is useful in almost the same way. If you miss your "OG" and come in lower than expected add some DME into the boil. Again I should have known this before, but missed picking the trick up along the way.

11) If you keg, the easy way to force carb a cold keg (35ish degrees) quickly is to turn up the PSI near 35, then turn off the C02 at the tank. Now the gauge will tell you the PSI of the keg only. Shake the keg like crazy and you should see the PSI go down. Repeat the process until the keg is as serving pressure. If you overshoot, pull the pressure relief on the keg and readjust. After you reach your goal, let the keg sit for about an hour and you'll be good to go.

12) Another keg trick. Getting lots of foam? Measure the length of your serving line. For each foot of line, you want your serving pressure to be 1 psi higher. For example, my lines are 5 feet. I turn my regulator down to 5 psi to serve, and when I finish serving, I put it back up to 8 psi (or whatever the style calls for). No foam.

Anyway, that's all I can think of for now. I know a lot of this stuff is probably common sense, and some of it is my own opinion as well. Hopefully this can help a novice brewer out there. If you have any tricks or tips to add please do so, and again happy brewing!

For point 11, it's actually easier to simply give it 12psi (or whatever pressure is required for the temperature/co2 volume you are shooting for), and lay the keg on it's side (gas inlet up) and gently roll it back and forth. This will give more surface area for the co2.

You will carb exactly to the level you want, and you won't overshoot it. You just keeping rolling slightly back and forth until you quit hearing the valve release gas into the keg, and it's done and perfectly carbed.

+1 to #s 1, 5, 8, 9.

I just found a Youtube video where a guy made a DIY Vinator from a foaming hand-soap dispenser. It works with Dial brand soap dispensers, so next time I bottle, two are going into my SSan bucket so I can do 2 bottles at once.

+1 to #s 1, 5, 8, 9.

I just found a Youtube video where a guy made a DIY Vinator from a foaming hand-soap dispenser. It works with Dial brand soap dispensers, so next time I bottle, two are going into my SSan bucket so I can do 2 bottles at once.

Post the link

#10. You say "add some DME to the boil." I check after it is in the fermenter and I have added my make up water to get 5g. So I'm not sure what your meaning?

The reason I ask is I just brewed my first IPA and was supposed to come in at 1.068 but only had 1.060. So I was wondering if when this happens you can just add DME to bring it on up?

#10. You say "add some DME to the boil." I check after it is in the fermenter and I have added my make up water to get 5g. So I'm not sure what your meaning?

The reason I ask is I just brewed my first IPA and was supposed to come in at 1.068 but only had 1.060. So I was wondering if when this happens you can just add DME to bring it on up?

DME = dry malt extract

If your target pre boil gravity is low, add it to make up the difference.

Top off water can be added in the fermentor but DME should not. You have to take a gravity reading during the boil and figure out if you will be too low. If so, you add some DME DURING BOIL and it should adjust your gravity closer to what it should be

Ok, now I'm eve more confused. How do you know what the "pre boil gravity" should be? I'm doing partial kits and they just give you what the OG should be after boil. So, if my OG is not as high as it should be can you add DME? I was under the impression only hops (being a preservative and clean) can be added after the boil?

Ok, now I'm eve more confused. How do you know what the "pre boil gravity" should be? I'm doing partial kits and they just give you what the OG should be after boil. So, if my OG is not as high as it should be can you add DME? I was under the impression only hops (being a preservative and clean) can be added after the boil?

If you're doing a kit, don't worry. It's more so when you're doing all grain and your efficiency (ability to convert grain into fermentable sugars) is low.

I am working my way to all grain so please feel free to explain! So your checking your gravity after you mash? If so, how are you figuring out what the gravity should be of the mash?

I am working my way to all grain so please feel free to explain! So your checking your gravity after you mash? If so, how are you figuring out what the gravity should be of the mash?

It takes time to figure out what your pre-boil gravity should be compared to OG. I know on my system that I gain 12 points when I boil, so If I want a 1.060 OG my pre-boil gravity should be 1.048. The easiest way to take a pre-boil gravity sample is with a refractometer after all the wort is in the boil kettle and before (obviously) it starts boiling.

With #2, you can also arate at the same time if you cut a hole in the transfer tube and put some clamps around it to create a Venturi effect. Check out this article: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/entries/wort-aeration-how-to-build-a-free-pump.html
Edit: Pic is misleading, no pump is required.

With #5, I would advise farming instead of washing (or rinsing) the yeast. Just make a bigger starter and save some for the next batch. You can do this multiple times and no need to wash the yeast since it's from a starter and not beer. Check this article: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/entries/yeast-harvesting-novel-approach.html

I guess my hack would be, read the articles section it's full of awesome info.

My number one hack is that you can use finished beer to attract laborers to assist in various manual tasks like bottling, bottle scrubbing, bottle sanitizing. Basically all bottling stuff

It takes time to figure out what your pre-boil gravity should be compared to OG. I know on my system that I gain 12 points when I boil, so If I want a 1.060 OG my pre-boil gravity should be 1.048. The easiest way to take a pre-boil gravity sample is with a refractometer after all the wort is in the boil kettle and before (obviously) it starts boiling.

Does your gain of 12 points post-boil stay constant for all beers that you brew? Just curious because I've been meaning to figure this out for my brewing. That is, knowing if I'm on target to hit my OG immediately after the mash is completed.

I know it won't be the case if you add honey or some other adjunct at the end of the boil. But for all other beers I'm curious if that gravity gain stays constant.

Does your gain of 12 points post-boil stay constant for all beers that you brew? Just curious because I've been meaning to figure this out for my brewing. That is, knowing if I'm on target to hit my OG immediately after the mash is completed.

I know it won't be the case if you add honey or some other adjunct at the end of the boil. But for all other beers I'm curious if that gravity gain stays constant.

im still not 100% sure yet. I have only had 2 brews on my new system but it has been 11 and 12 either time. Im sure they will all be close to that. Obviously, if you are adding honey or sugar towards the end of the boil, it will be less likely to figure out how much you are off pre-boil. I would suggest added the honey/sugar and then check gravity. normally these additions are with 15 minutes left so you would still have time to throw in some DME to increase if needed

Calculating what your preboil gravity can be done. You already know what your preboil and final volume is, a simple calculation is to use the points like mentioned. So if your after boil target is say 1.060, that's 60 points. Multiply that times how many gallons you have post boil, say 5 gallons, that is 60 x 5 = 300 total points. That many sugar points are in the preboil volume, just diluted, say you had 6.5 gal preboil. Then it is 300 total points/6.5 gallons = 46ish. 1.046 target for preboil volume. So if you know your pre an post boil volumes, you can adjust during the boil. Or just try it one time and do the same for your system each time.

Wow, great explanation! So your really just tracking the boil off to ensure your gravity is correct when finished, correct?

And you said to correct it during the boil... So with a 1.046 preboil and 1.060 OG is it safe to say your gravity will be 1.053 at 30 min of a 60 min boil? Or is it not a linear change?

Wow, great explanation! So your really just tracking the boil off to ensure your gravity is correct when finished, correct?

And you said to correct it during the boil... So with a 1.046 preboil and 1.060 OG is it safe to say your gravity will be 1.053 at 30 min of a 60 min boil? Or is it not a linear change?

It should be mostly linear. The only thing that would change it is the water expanding or contracting based on the temperature. So if you are measuring hot but not boiling wort it should be close enough to the volume it would be at boiling to figure it out.

Yea pretty much I just check the preboil to see if my mash efficiency is ok. Like said before people usually lose approx. 1.5 gallons(12 points is a good reference thanks Don Draper:)) or so during a 60 min hard boil, or I will just boil until I hit pretty close to my final target volume. If my efficiency from the mash was bad/or better, then I'll adjust the hops up or down a little for the 60 min addition, I usually don't mess with the other ones because they affect the bitterness less.

A cheap bucket heater, a temp controller and a simple appliance timer work well to preheat your mash water in the early morning. You can set the time and mash temp, drop the bucket heater into the cooler and wake up to water that's ready for grain.

That little change suddenly made it easy to get brewing done by noon on a Saturday. You wake up, toss the grain in and start setting everything else up while your mash happens.

A cheap bucket heater, a temp controller and a simple appliance timer work well to preheat your mash water in the early morning. You can set the time and mash temp, drop the bucket heater into the cooler and wake up to water that's ready for grain.

That little change suddenly made it easy to get brewing done by noon on a Saturday. You wake up, toss the grain in and start setting everything else up while your mash happens.

Can you be more specific about the heater, temp control, and timer? This sounds like an amazing plan!

the heater is one like this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BDB4UG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

No special wiring, just a regular outlet in the garage.

I already had a Johnson temp controller for other purposes.

The timer is one like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005MMSTNG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

You plug the timer into the wall, the temp controller into the timer and the bucket heater into the temp controller.

That bucket heater takes a couple of hours to heat my mash water (I timed it originally to figure out), so the timer is set to turn the temp controller on at 4:30 am or so. I set the temp controller to what I want my strike water. That depends on the recipe, but usually somewhere in that 163F range.

When the time comes, it flips on, sees that the water is 55F instead of 163F and starts heating, and maintains the temp when it gets there.

So, my Friday nights are basically putting the right number of gallons of water in the cooler, hook up my pre-heat rig, put the lid on, set it in the garage and go to bed.

Last edited by a moderator:
the heater is one like this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BDB4UG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

No special wiring, just a regular outlet in the garage.

I already had a Johnson temp controller for other purposes.

The timer is one like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005MMSTNG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

You plug the timer into the wall, the temp controller into the timer and the bucket heater into the temp controller.

That bucket heater takes a couple of hours to heat my mash water (I timed it originally to figure out), so the timer is set to turn the temp controller on at 4:30 am or so. I set the temp controller to what I want my strike water. That depends on the recipe, but usually somewhere in that 163F range.

When the time comes, it flips on, sees that the water is 55F instead of 163F and starts heating, and maintains the temp when it gets there.

So, my Friday nights are basically putting the right number of gallons of water in the cooler, hook up my pre-heat rig, put the lid on, set it in the garage and go to bed.

Caturday10_zpscbd9f2c2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back