Brewing Frequency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampFoxBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I’d chalk this up to my excitement of starting a new hobby, but I'm curious: how frequently do the rest of you brew? I’m doing smaller batches, but I’m currently averaging about one a week.

Curious if my frequency is typical or, shall we say, obsessive 🙂

Sometimes I do 2 batches in a day. Sometimes I go 6 months or more between batches. It depends on what else is going on and my supply of beer on hand.

I brew about every three-four weeks because that’s about how long a keg lasts around here. I kick a keg, I brew pretty soon thereafter to fill it. So, 15 +/-2 brews a yr.

This is my 3rd year of brewing and I've settled into one brew-weekend per month. 7.5 gallons on one day and 2.5 on the next. I have thirsty friends and I like to keep the pipeline filled. The smaller batches are for new brews or experiments. The larger ones are for ones I know I'll go through a lot of.

I'm at 3-4 brew days a year for 12 gallon split batches. Before I made the jump to electric and bigger capacity I was at 8 brew days a year with 5 gallons finished product.

Oh the simplicity of the good old days.

About one brew day per month (once in a while two or zero), but I try to get two batches done. I do smaller batches; so it's not as time consuming as it might otherwise be.

In general, my goal is smaller batches more often so I can try more stuff faster.

I can fit three 2.5-gallon and four 1-gallon batches into my fermentation freezers, so that comes out to about 3 brew days each week. Sometimes I'll do a batch or three without temperature control, especially when the garage is cold enough for lager fermentation. And then there are the 0.25-gallon batches I do when I want to brew but don't have space and don't need more beer.

I still have too much beer, and so I am drunker and fatter than I want to be.

Up until 2 weeks ago I had not brewed for 3 years. Finally my life has calmed down enough that I can enjoy my hobbies again. When I started brewing 15 years ago I was going a couple times a month, for sure. Now I guess I will go every couple months with a 10G batch. I also don't drink as much as I used to since I have changed my lifestyle and strength train regularly. But I will never give up beer. lol

10-12 gallon batches, on average around 25 batches a year. I brew successive batches "cone to cone", that is using yeast cake from previous batches for more of less continuous fermentation until I decide to change yeast.

For the last few years, I've brewed about every two weeks or so. I brew 2.5 gallon batches, mostly so that I can have cheaper/smaller gear and use my stovetop, but it also means I get to brew more frequently. I really like the variety! I usually have two things on tap at a time, one batch just kegged and the other on its way out.

Started off brewing 4-6 times a year which slowly increased after 4-5 years...but thanks to Covid and working from home, I started brewing every 2 weeks and have pretty much kept that schedule since 2020. Brew a lot of lagers, so can have beers on tap, beers fermenting, beers lagering, etc...a nice pipeline going!

well let's see what the OCD spreadsheet says...

1673459033623.png

Back