Brewing big beer, questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backflip

Reaction score
So I'm brewing a big beer tomorrow, just over 1.1 OG. How essential is a yeast starter if I'm using dry yeast? Also, how essential is an oxygen stone for a big beer like this? I've seen both "recommended", but what will happen if I don't have either?

Also, recipe says it should be in secondary for 2-3 months. Big issue if it's a plastic carboy? Don't really want to shell out for a glass one if I don't have to.

Honestly, I think both the starter and oxygen are pretty critical for a big beer. But, if you're using dry yeast I think it's less critical. I'd still aerate the hell out out of it though.

Do you have a keg? I'd secondary in a keg, but if you have a better bottle I'd just go with that unless you want to drop $30 for glass. 2-3 months is not excessive. If it was a year Id say get a glass carboy.

Big beers need a lot of yeast. Brewing tomorrow doesn't give you time to make a starter. You'll need to use multiple packs of rehydrated dry yeast.
http://www.brewwithfermentis.com/tips-tricks/yeast-rehydration/

Use Pro Brewer 1.25 to determine your pitch rate.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

Big beers can make good use of pure oxygen. Pure oxygen can be overdone though. It would be best to look up how much oxygen to use. Big beers can also benefit from an additional dose of oxygen 12 to 18 hours after the start of active fermentation. This is an advanced technique. I would suggest some additional reading before trying this.

Do you have a reliable method to control the fermentation temperature? High OG brews will create a lot of extra heat as the fermentation begins.

You will be able to use a plastic carboy for the length of secondary planned.

No direct control of the temp, but it's going to be in an unused downstairs bathroom. Stays dark and around 68deg.

I have to go to the local brew store tomorrow, so I might see if they have a stone/gun to add oxygen. I plan on rehydrating the yeast properly, but since I dont have time to try to make a starter then adding O2 seems to be my best option.

Also I've got burbon soaked oak chips going in the secondary, so not sure if I want those sitting in the keg until the brew is drained. Think I'll just stick with my plastic secondary. Its a Bubbler, but not the big mouth kind.

No direct control of the temp, but it's going to be in an unused downstairs bathroom. Stays dark and around 68deg.

I have to go to the local brew store tomorrow, so I might see if they have a stone/gun to add oxygen. I plan on rehydrating the yeast properly, but since I dont have time to try to make a starter then adding O2 seems to be my best option.

You can expect a wort temperature increase, for high OG beers, of 8° to 10° during the first few days of active fermentation. Unless you are using a Belgian yeast, which can be fermented in the 75° to 85° range, fusel alcohols will be produced when the optimum fermentation temperature range is exceeded.

Bugger. Since it's going to be in a bathtub, I suppose I could chuck a few bags of ice in there around the carboy to try to cool the ambient temperature during the active stage.

Using Safale US-05 yeast. If the local store carries it, I might pick up an extra pack.

Bugger. Since it's going to be in a bathtub, I suppose I could chuck a few bags of ice in there around the carboy to try to cool the ambient temperature during the active stage.

That is called a swamp cooler. Swamp coolers work. Cold water about halfway up the side of the fermentor will absorb a lot of heat. Plastic soda bottles with ice can be your ice blocks.
US-05 performs best at about 65° to 68°.
Under the photos tab you will find pictures of various swamp coolers. Mostly in "Fermentation and Yeast".

So we hit 1.11 OG and I've kept the fermometer at 67-68 thanks to the ice. Ice melted overnight last night, but it was a warm day today and still didn't get over 68 in the carboy. Activity is picking up tonight, so I might go get another couple bags of ice tomorrow just to keep it in check.

Good luck! I'd love the patience to take on a big beer.

Out of interest, what type of beer are you making and do you have a recipe?

While I'm too late, for next time or anyone else, another option is to add half the ingredients (effectively doubling the yeast you pitch), wait a few days for the yeast to multiply, and add the remaining wort; same idea as Drauflassen. This would be a pain for a mashed beer, but if it happened to be extract then this would be quite easy to do.

It's the w00t stout recipe that Noethern Brewer is now selling. Very good flavor profile going in to fermentation. Can't wait to try it aged.

Came home today and the temp had jumped up to 72-73. Hot day today and my ice had long melted. Got it into a tub with ice water and it's now down to 70 degrees. New ice melted already so I think I'll put some more in to try to get down to 68.

That's all good at this point. Let it get warmer now. You had it cool for the first part of fermentation and the is the important part. Now letting it warm up will be good to keep the yeast working hard. Just don't let it get too far out of hand. Cooling it down could shock the yeast.

Kept it at 70 until bedtime. Jumped up to 72 again by morning. Can't get ice on it this morning, so it's sitting in water and I've got a fan going. Thankfully today isn't supposed to be as hot as yesterday!

It's the w00t stout recipe that Noethern Brewer is now selling. Very good flavor profile going in to fermentation. Can't wait to try it aged.

Wow didn't know they had that one! Woot 2.O was amazing! Good luck with it!!

Try wrapping the fermenter with a towel right up to the neck with the bottom of the towel in the water. Keep the fan on it. The towel will wick up the water and the fan will evaporate it. This will help cool it by 3 - 5 degrees. You can occasionally dowse the towel with water just to help it out. This method is what you hear people refer to as a "swamp cooler". I use it all the time and it works great.

Just transfered the w00tstout to the secondary witht the bourbon soaked oak chips in it. 2 more months! One thing I noticed while siphoning was that it was a distinct dark brown color. Not black, not ruby. Kind of disappointing, unless that's normal for this brew? Anyone have it out of the bottle before and can speak to the target color?

Back