Brewie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't even view the page without being a member lol. Wouldn't make a difference anyway I find it suspect that the Facebook page is the only place with alleged great reviews. I believe the users here and out of 96 pages I can only find user njs170 that reports anything positive......

Isn't that the one where the group admin was moderating responses to delete anything negative that was posted?
No not at all. It's not run by Brewie. It's one of the best platform to get help from brewie or other users.

My Brewie has had issues on old firmware versions with reaching a good boil but it has produced great beer. I typically get around 72% efficiency which is close to what I get on my biab system. I am a member of the Brewie owner's group on facebook and I have seen no mention of deleted post. Also, over the last month or so I have seen the posts become much more positive as people are working on recipes and what not instead of figuring out software issues. Even the phone apps are working now both on IOS and Android.

And the saga continues.... What a surprise. I bet the brewie owners Facebook page has better info. Remember every day the machine is delayed is better for you the customer. Too bad the original machines weren't delayed indefinitely

The below email just landed in my inbox, more shipping delays due to poor packaging. It is the same packaging they have been using for a year now. One might think they could have fixed styrofoam packaging in a year before shipping over new units.....I continue to wait for my Brewie+

"Dear _______________
My name is Marcel Pal, CEO and co-founder at Brewie.I’m reaching out to you for two simple reasons.

First, I would like to welcome you to one of the world’s largest and fastest growing community of brewers, with members from over 30 countries and counting. The great thing about Brewie is not only the superior technology that you receive but education, knowledge, recipes and much more that is provided by the Brewie Team and our community members. I am sure you will find much joy in our products and we encourage you to share your experience with your fellow brewers. After all, sharing is caring :)

Secondly, I wanted to give you an update on our shipping process. You have probably read that shipping has already started and hundreds of devices are on their way. The first batch of units that arrived to us for inspection was damaged (over 20% of the received units). Although the new packaging – that I am sure you have seen in our previous shipping updates – fulfills all packaging standards it seems it can’t handle the roughness of loading and reloading. Here are some pictures of the damaged machines:

Kd9ncN46DaSecmEKeqxoyQ-31386

After seeing this high rate of damaged goods I decided to stop shipments, recall the units that had not reached their destination. And all of them sent back to manufacturer for repackaging. Once all units made it back to factory we reopened every single one to check that the Brewie+ is in perfect condition. Then we repackaged. Now they look like this:

wmCGmJ0KfmetBjTu2CIyAA-31386

We also recalled and repackaged all units that have been waiting in containers after going through all the QC processes about we’ve sent details last week. Now it has been ensured that the units are in perfect quality both on the inside and the outside.

So why are we only telling this now? We hoped that we could come up with a solution that will not affect the delivery date of your Brewie+, however this turned out the only option where we can ensure you that you do not receive a unit in a condition that you saw on the first few pictures.

I take full responsibility for this delay and I would like to extend my personal apology for the delay. Shipping will start once again this week – over 100 Brewie+ leave the factory on Friday. We expect weekly shipments from here on. The first units should be on the continent by the end of May and more will follow in June.

My plan is that all Brewie+ orders to this date will be on their way by mid June.

While I’m grateful for my team in Budapest and abroad for handling the issue in a professional manner, I’m also grateful to you for your patience in the last couple of weeks. In return, I’d like to offer you a sample of our newest and yet unannounced Brewie Pad to arrive at your doorstep once the Brewie+ is delivered to help you with the preparations of your first brewing session. Adam Sipos will be in direct contact with you in the coming weeks.

My colleagues will reach out to you once we receive the exact date of your shipment from our shipping partner. Should you have any questions in the meantime, you are welcome to reach out to me personally or write to our customer support channel here. While waiting, I suggest you check out this ‘short’ introduction of the Brewie+ in action – it makes clear how the units actually work, while peeking behind the scenes of what happens in our HQ. J

Please keep in mind that I usually reply within 24-48 hours.

Thank you for your continuous support and we all look forward to sharing a Brewie+ brewed beer soon.

Cheers,
Marcel

My Brewie has had issues on old firmware versions with reaching a good boil but it has produced great beer. I typically get around 72% efficiency which is close to what I get on my biab system. I am a member of the Brewie owner's group on facebook and I have seen no mention of deleted post. Also, over the last month or so I have seen the posts become much more positive as people are working on recipes and what not instead of figuring out software issues. Even the phone apps are working now both on IOS and Android.

Please show me your calcs. On my two stock brewie pads I was around 50% efficiency.

Latest update email, Balint told me I was in the first batch of machines to be released so we will see.

Dear _______________
We have some great news for you!

As you've read in last week's shipping update, the units have been repackaged at our production site and they're ready to roll out!

Furthermore, the first units of this throng will arrive in approximately two weeks, and as soon as their tracking IDs arrive, we'll send them out to you!

Woo-hoo!

To reasonably fulfill orders, these units will go to (as we've previously communicated) those, who've been waiting for the longest - tracking numbers should arrive to your mailing accounts presumably by the end of next week.

All other units will be sent gradually to let you receive them on a weekly basis. For later shipping dates, we're still awaiting precise information, as there's a short queue at the transport companies (while loading cargo), but tracking info will be sent out order-by-order in the following weeks.

If you have any additional questions, please, send them by our customer support page. However, we receive many questions and requests in this topic so please be advised that we'll continue to send out all info in our weekly updates AND every tracking code as soon as we receive them!

Cheers,
The Brewie Team

Please show me your calcs. On my two stock brewie pads I was around 50% efficiency.
I didn't calculate it myself I just took what BeerSmith calculated. For my last three brews I had one that was 62.6%, one that was 79.0% and one that was 82.8%. I do stir during mashing and I think that is what makes the difference.

I didn't calculate it myself I just took what BeerSmith calculated. For my last three brews I had one that was 62.6%, one that was 79.0% and one that was 82.8%. I do stir during mashing and I think that is what makes the difference.

If you brewed a Brewie pad all you need are your pre and post boil gravities. The water and grain weight is pre-set by Brewie and you just look it up in your recipe.

If you brewed a Brewie pad all you need are your pre and post boil gravities. The water and grain weight is pre-set by Brewie and you just look it up in your recipe.
I have only brewed one Brewie Pad, the Rusty Rex, and I ended up with a slightly higher final gravity than the sheet said. I don't remember exactly what it was as that was months ago and I didn't put the recipe in BeerSmith.

I figured i'd chime in again as its been almost 2 months since the NJ service center received my machine. I emailed the support mailbox and finally got a response saying they'd let me know 'tomorrow.' about 12 tomorrows later and a couple more emails, i finally just bombarded every email address i could and got a very quick response of 'we'll let you know tomorrow.' Finally, a few days later i heard back that 'its not ready yet,' with no real explanation of the what, why, or how or any promises of when.

I'm wondering if the recent 'please buy another one of our untested machines for a steep discount' wasn't another cry for funding so that they can keep their 'service partners' paid and actually doing work. It does seem like they are focused entirely on B+ production, while the B-'s back for service are just sitting. I wish i had my old one back and in some state of working as i would've probably tried to sell it for half what i paid and gotten a new one. The only problem is that without having it I can't possibly gauge interest in whether i could even sell the old one and i don't have space for two, potentially, very large paperweights to be sitting around.

Has anyone else had luck in getting their machine fixed in the past few months?

I'm glad i put 15 gallons thru it right before shipping off. They didn't come out perfectly (drinkable, but not up to the quality that i had been getting out of my other equipment for the last 10 years), but at least it gives me something to drown the sorrows. Sadly the new house, new wife, and busy work schedule have not afforded me the time to pull my old equipment back out do it the old fashioned way that almost always gave satisfying results. Perhaps i should have seen this coming, but one can always dream....

On the efficiency theme - I got one batch that seemed to be acceptable (>65%) but then once it got into the fermenter i realized that i needed to re-cal the machine as i only had a bit over 4 gallons collected, which will certainly make that efficiency look much better. I think a lot of people 'forget' about that part of the measurement. My worst was right at 50% and that was a purposeful attempt to not touch the machine at all while brewing to get a reasonable baseline - no poking and prodding whatsoever. I guess the upside of that brew was that it was an american wheat beer that kept me quite hydrated while doing yardwork this past weekend. Even stirring only seemed to get me marginal gains over that number on numerous successive batches.

Sorry for the long stream of consciousness email - trying to get enough coffee in me to re-engage at work this morning. I hope everyone else had some great brews this weekend.

Ham-b, I highly suggest you have them send you a B+ for free. You have waited long enough and I doubt they are even trying to fix your original machine. I am in the first 150 B+ to be sent out. Once that shipment goes out there will be more B+ available. I would fight hard for the new machine. The old machine is defective and should be recalled. Perhaps that is what will happen eventually but who knows. The B+ could suffer from the same failures.

I’ve had similar efficiency results as you. If I have a completely hands off brew I get around 50% efficiency. Hopefully that improves with the B+.

Man
My wife bought me one and when it was supposed to arrive it got lost in customs. They quickly sent another unit but it happened to be about two weeks before their reveal of Brewie 2.0. I inquiried about sending them he unopened unit and pay the difference for the new unit. They denied me so I got everything set to brew.....my machine was defective and had to be sent to the repair shop. No reply no I hung from them. Has anybody filed a complaint to the BBB on them? This is BS. I asked for a refund on my unopened unit and was promptly denied. I had it less than 30 days. Should I be as mad as I am?

Anyone looking to part with their problem child? I am willing to tinker with one if the price is right.

Anyone looking to part with their problem child? I am willing to tinker with one if the price is right.
We will have to talk.

I have a B20 I am willing to part with.
I am pretty sure we can come to agreement on a price.
I am not sure how to pm on this site.

I am also kind of also expecting Picobrew Zymatic prices to drop when the Z comes out. Picobrew is offering some sort of trade up program.

My Brewie+ ordered from MoreBeer! in early March is shipped and I should have it on 6/26, I am hoping that the "upgraded" unit will be free of the issues that were prevalent on the B20. I am very hopeful that I will be posting again with ecstatic results...

Hello all on Home Brew Talk. I realize the 'danger' of making my first post here- please be kind!
#1- I am a "Real Boy!" I am not spam!
#2- I have been drinking beer for far too long!
#3- I have used this forum, along with others, to build a custom upright Keezer (to heck with kegerators and warm towers!)
#4- I have been reading More Beer, Northwestern, and William Brewing catalogs for years now- just have been hesitant to jump into home brewing as living in California affords me ample opportunities for professional great brew already. Even a good startup extract kit will come in about $300-$500!
#5- Just picked up a Brewie B20 machine for pennies ($399.00 plus shipping- like $450 total) from a More Beer Super Deal (did anyone else catch that maybe mistake on Monday 6/18/18?!?!?)
#6- Any advice here? I just ordered the Blichman Cornical as it seems like the best deal- get a stainless chonical AND keg for $500? Allows for hot wort transfer and only about $175 for a new keg add-on?

I plan to take it slow- turn on the B20, make sure the updates are current, and, start with a brewie pack to ensure all bases are covered. Does anyone have any experience with the new Cornical? How does one dry hop in it? Does the B20 allow for dry hopping? What about adding Oxygen? Do you need to apply CO2, or will the yeast in primary fermentation provide the CO2 pressure?

Thank you all in advance!

Nate R

Sorry to be a ass but I predict the machine not working correctly as with all the others. Hopefully you get a working machine but I'd say the odds are stacked against you. They went from 2000$ to 399$ that's pretty much admitting to defeat. Good luck

Just got my UPS tracking info for my B+ It will be here tomorrow, but an adult needs to sit around my house and sign for it. It's rather annoying that you cannot pre-sign for the unit.

Just got my UPS tracking info for my B+ It will be here tomorrow, but an adult needs to sit around my house and sign for it. It's rather annoying that you cannot pre-sign for the unit.

Pish, posh:

"We previously sent you a delivery alert for the package(s) shown below. This package(s) will not be delivered as originally scheduled. We will provide you with updated delivery information as soon as we can and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused."

So I wait again.....

Pish, posh:

"We previously sent you a delivery alert for the package(s) shown below. This package(s) will not be delivered as originally scheduled. We will provide you with updated delivery information as soon as we can and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused."

So I wait again.....

I've never heard of this before?!

I've never heard of this before?!

Kind of like ordering anything from China these days. They send a fake tracker, go get the product and then send it a week later under the same tracker. I’ve seen it on Alibaba recently.

Just to update, I received the B20+ on Tuesday and unboxed it while taking pictures at each step as suggested on this thread. There was some small cosmetic damage to the box but the machine was in great shape, the boil lid was slightly askew but no blemishes or anything else. Turned on the machine hooked up to wifi and it downloaded the latest software and then asked for a restart, power button doesn't work at this point so unplugged and plugged back in and then the same message. Googled the issue and this thread is the top hit, unplugged for 1 minute and issue was fixed. I went through the water calibration again with no issue. I didn't do any research prior to entering my custom recipe into the machine, going from BIAB to Brewie I tried to wing it and just started entering stuff... For the mash I put 45 mins @ 150 and then a 15 minute sparge @150, having never sparged I didn't think of it until later that this should have been 170 or so.

On Wednesday I got home, put the 13.25 lbs of grain in the bag and hit start. Quite a wonderful experience, this thing is beautiful and does exactly what it says it will. It being my first beer on the machine I hovered close for most of the time, water heated up quickly and it got to a simmering boil here in Denver and held it for the duration of the boil. Once the brew was finished the cooling was very quick and it transferred 20L of wort into the fermenter.

I was optimistically hoping for 70% efficiency as I stirred around and moved the bag 3-4 times and ended up with 47%, I know that part of this is my fault for the cold sparge and not doing a mashout but it hurts my heart being used to 75-80% efficiency and only getting barely over half of that... I will continue to tweak and try to maximize efficiency but that part was a bit of a disappointment. Hopefully I created a fine session beer!

CObrewLefor, I doubt that the temperature of the sparge is an issue at all. I have done cold sparges when I forgot to heat the water in time on my traditional cooler mash tun with batch sparging system. If it changed the efficiency at all it was only a couple percentage points. So at best your 47% might have risen to 49-50%

CObrewLefor, I doubt that the temperature of the sparge is an issue at all. I have done cold sparges when I forgot to heat the water in time on my traditional cooler mash tun with batch sparging system. If it changed the efficiency at all it was only a couple percentage points. So at best your 47% might have risen to 49-50%
I agree. I think your best bet is to extend your mash time. You likely have very incomplete conversion. You might also try crushing finer if it won't plug up your system.

Brew on :mug:

I agree. I think your best bet is to extend your mash time. You likely have very incomplete conversion. You might also try crushing finer if it won't plug up your system.

Brew on :mug:
Cool, thank you both for the input, I did look through some of the pre-programmed mash schedules for their beer kits and yes, they are mashing far longer than I did... I will increase my next mash and will also do a finer crush on the next one and see how that turns out.

Got my new B+ “special edition” yesterday. #6 of 150 with a personalized letter thanking me for my patience. Unit was damage free so I plugged it in. Unfortunately, more problems. Brewie sent us an email to do a sanitizing clean first, so I did and it cannot get through a sanitizing clean. The machine updated to 3.0.14 software after a few restarts and had to unplug and plug back in. First try popped my 20 amp breaker at about 140 degrees. Second attempt popped another 20 amp breaker at about 180 degrees. Third try got to 194 degrees and then popped a different 20 amp breaker and continued to boil water even after shutting the machine down but with the plug in. I unplugged for several minutes, turned back on and tried a short clean but the boil element is still on, again after turning the machine off and with the plug still in. I unplugged everything and gave up for the night. Something is not working right for sure. This 1800 watt machine should not be tripping a 20 amp circuit with nothing else connected. And the boil element should not be continuously on! I left water in the machine to make sure it doesn’t dry fire the element the next time I turn it on. Brewie eliminated the main power toggle switch in the new unit. The side power switch is the only switch now. So I must give this warning:

Always unplug your Brewie when not in use. The element can remain on despite the software being turned off! This is a major safety hazard!!!!

North of $2 grand, safety concerns, and expensive ingredient kits. Remind me again of the advantages.

Latest posts

Back