BrewFlasher - Windows/MacOS app for flashing ESP8266/ESP32 Brewing Projects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a trick to getting the TiltBridge - NETA - D32_Pro_TFT - v 1.1.1-Beta - TFT firmware working? It fails at the Downloading SPIFFS/LittleFS file... step for me with an error about being unable to download the firmware.
Thanks!

I just released version 1.4 of BrewFlasher on GitHub.

This release rolls back the version of esptool used for flashing ESP32 devices in order to fix an issue that prevented BrewFlasher from working with certain Lolin D32 Pro boards.

This release is recommended for all users (but especially those with v1.3.0 who plan on flashing D32 Pro or other non-4MB devices!)

I can't get any Brewflasher version since 1.0 x64 to start under Windows 11. I've tried v1.2 and latest 1.4 and neither one will startup, no splash screen, no error messages, can't find anything in the Windows event logs. Any ideas? BTW, v1.0 works fine and I was able to flash my hardware with the 1.1.1 firmware. Thanks.

I can't get any Brewflasher version since 1.0 x64 to start under Windows 11. I've tried v1.2 and latest 1.4 and neither one will startup, no splash screen, no error messages, can't find anything in the Windows event logs. Any ideas? BTW, v1.0 works fine and I was able to flash my hardware with the 1.1.1 firmware. Thanks.

Unfortunately, it works for me. :(

Someone on GitHub reported the same symptoms, but I was assuming the issue was caused by Microsoft Smart Screen based on issues I've had with it in the past. That still may be the issue, though -- If you go into Windows Security, then Virus & Threat Protection, and then Protection History, do you see anything?

That was my first thought as well, but there is nothing in the Protection History. I've tried running as an Admin and do get the "allow to make changes" UAC prompt, but still nothing happens after allowing it to run. I guess the question is, what do the newer versions do that is different, before showing the splash screen?

That was my first thought as well, but there is nothing in the Protection History. I've tried running as an Admin and do get the "allow to make changes" UAC prompt, but still nothing happens after allowing it to run. I guess the question is, what do the newer versions do that is different, before showing the splash screen?
I'm having the same problem. Did you find a solution?
Also the first version works fine for me.

I'm having the same problem. Did you find a solution?
Also the first version works fine for me.

Unfortunately, I haven’t had much luck with researching this one. People online seemed to believe that submitting the app for verification to Microsoft should resolve the issue, but I’ve done that with every version since the first and still have reports of this occurring. Others seem to think that if an app is opened enough, there is some kind of two-way messaging back to Microsoft that signals the app is genuine (which if true would explain why earlier versions that have been “in the wild” longer might work where later versions don’t).

The only thing people seem to agree on is that if you go through the process to obtain a code signing cert it should resolve it, but that’s an expensive gamble, and BrewFlasher is the only app it would be used for.

In the mean time, have you tried BrewFlasher Web Edition?

I have also had issues in the past and some users had issues with brewflasher 1.5 when flashing my gravitymon software. I ended up compiling this on my windows computer (i know thorrak uses Mac) and that has worked find. Can someone try the brewflasher binary attached here https://github.com/mp-se/gravitymon/releases/download/v1.2.0/BrewFlasher-1.5.exe and see if that works ? On my windows 11 I dont get any issues. If thats the case then the issues is probably connected to building the windows binary on mac.....

I have also had issues in the past and some users had issues with brewflasher 1.5 when flashing my gravitymon software. I ended up compiling this on my windows computer (i know thorrak uses Mac) and that has worked find. Can someone try the brewflasher binary attached here https://github.com/mp-se/gravitymon/releases/download/v1.2.0/BrewFlasher-1.5.exe and see if that works ? On my windows 11 I dont get any issues. If thats the case then the issues is probably connected to building the windows binary on mac.....
If someone confirms yours works, do you mind if I replace the release with it?

If someone confirms yours works, do you mind if I replace the release with it?
Yes sure, its your project. I was meaning to open a ticket on this but it was lost during the christmas chaos. Happy to help with compiling future releases if this solves it.

Well, the 1.5 version by mper seems to run on my Windows 11 machine. I haven't went through the whole flashing process, but the app now starts up. Looks like a solution...

I noticed that the size of my build was different from thorraks build so this is something to investigate further. Could be a bug in the python to executable package…

I tested thorraks build before release since he didnt have the c3 board and that worked on my old machine, so its really strange

Hmm. I have a new Windows desktop that I picked up specifically for things like building BrewFlasher -- I'll give it a try here later and see if maybe the binaries it produces don't have the same "smell" the old ones apparently had.

This works fine. Also luck with the web flasher.
But both report version 1.1.3 to be installed afterwords when I enters Tiltbridge on the card even both installers claim 1.2.0 as latest version - but it might be I misunderstand something :)

This is a very basic problem, I'm sure, but I've got a new ESP32 and am trying to use BrewFlasher for the TiltRepeater package.

I'm using an (old) MacOS laptop. I downloaded the extra drivers (https://www.silabs.com/developers/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers) to see if that helped. It recognized something (/dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART) it hadn't had before, but I'm still getting an error:

Serial port /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART
Connecting......................................
Firmware flashing FAILED. esptool.py raised an error.

I'm using this board:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DKD79Y9?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
with this cable:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SMNZK8H?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

What should I try next?

This is a very basic problem, I'm sure, but I've got a new ESP32 and am trying to use BrewFlasher for the TiltRepeater package.

I'm using an (old) MacOS laptop. I downloaded the extra drivers (CP210x USB to UART Bridge VCP Drivers - Silicon Labs) to see if that helped. It recognized something (/dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART) it hadn't had before, but I'm still getting an error:

Serial port /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART
Connecting......................................
Firmware flashing FAILED. esptool.py raised an error.

I'm using this board:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DKD79Y9?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
with this cable:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SMNZK8H?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

What should I try next?
Unfortunately, that board is an ESP32-S3, not an ESP32 (which is a different architecture) and cannot run ESP32 firmware. Yes, Espressif did not do themselves any favors with the naming conventions here. :(

Unfortunately, that board is an ESP32-S3, not an ESP32 (which is a different architecture) and cannot run ESP32 firmware. Yes, Espressif did not do themselves any favors with the naming conventions here. :(
Well, drat.

It says "HiLetgo ESP32 LCD WiFi Kit ESP-32 1.14 Inch LCD Display WiFi+Bluetooth CH9102 USB Type-C Internet Development Board for Arduino ESP8266 NodeMCU" What's the "tell" here that I've got the wrong board? Is it the CH9102? ESP8266? I'm totally adrift here.

(I'm trying to buy from Amazon so that it arrives soooooon.)

They did some annoying keyword stuffing here, unfortunately. The tell is "ESP32-S3FN8 dual core processor" -- but you'd have to google it to be certain given what they've done to try to get picked up in searches.

Thanks again.

It’s really nice of you to make practically idiot-proof tools to download for free, and then answer questions when it turns out they’re not completely idiot-proof.

Fingers crossed I’ll get everything working without needing to post again…

My ESP32s arrived from Amazon in reprehensible squashed-bug shape, and one of them proved to be unflashable, but I am now the proud owner of two TiltRepeaters and one TiltBridge.

Also, the tilt that was inside the keg that was inside the chest freezer can now talk to the repeater, which can talk to the TiltBridge. This has saved me $360 in repeaters from Tilt. Wow.

This is awesome. Many thanks!

Glad to hear it! I’m working on acquiring an S3 at the moment to play with, and should add support to BrewFlasher at some point — though there currently isn’t any actual firmware to flash. It seems like once the chip matures a bit it should be a good alternative to the ESP32 but we’ll see!

Glad to hear it! I’m working on acquiring an S3 at the moment to play with, and should add support to BrewFlasher at some point — though there currently isn’t any actual firmware to flash. It seems like once the chip matures a bit it should be a good alternative to the ESP32 but we’ll see!
If you’d like a no-cost-no-bother S3 I’ve got 3 now that don’t work with Brewflasher! Happy to send one on to you. (This kind.)

If you’d like a no-cost-no-bother S3 I’ve got 3 now that don’t work with Brewflasher! Happy to send one on to you. (This kind.)
Thank you for the offer! I’ve already got a few en route from China, so I think I’m good for now, but I appreciate it. Once I manage to find a use for them, I’ll let you know!

Speak of the devil.

Attachments

• DF2A910B-FA07-4112-9BE4-03D68CAC4675.jpeg
    DF2A910B-FA07-4112-9BE4-03D68CAC4675.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I used BrewFlasher to flash BrewPi-ESP8266 to a Lolin D32 Pro, flash worked fine. I see an AP called BrewPiAP, it wants a password. I tried brewpiless, password, BrewPiAP. Any idea what the password would be? I don't see it in any documentation for brewpiless. I tried searching the source and couldn't find any refrence to the BrewPiAP ssid. Thanks!

I used BrewFlasher to flash BrewPi-ESP8266 to a Lolin D32 Pro, flash worked fine. I see an AP called BrewPiAP, it wants a password. I tried brewpiless, password, BrewPiAP. Any idea what the password would be? I don't see it in any documentation for brewpiless. I tried searching the source and couldn't find any refrence to the BrewPiAP ssid. Thanks!
The default should be 'brewpiless' at least that is whats in the code. File config.h

BrewPiLess and BrewPi-ESP are two different projects. For BrewPi-ESP the WiFi password should be brewpiesp

Now Available - BrewFlasher v1.5.1

BrewFlasher Espanol.png

Screen Shot 2023-06-28 at 8.59.57 AM.png

BrewFlasher now speaks your language!

BrewFlasher is now multi-lingual! BrewFlasher detects the primary language set for your operating system, and adjusts the user interface accordingly. Available immediately in in Spanish and German as part of the release now available on GitHub!

If you are interested in helping translate BrewFlasher into your preferred language (or have recommendations for updates to the German/Spanish translations), please reach out either here or on GitHub. Admittedly, I am a monoglot, and have been relying on the help of others for translation. The application, documentation, and announcement total a bit under 500 words - any help is welcome!

Español

¡Estoy emocionado de contarles que ahora BrewFlasher ofrece diferentes idiomas! Pueden usar BrewFlasher en español, y también pienso agregar más idiomas pronto. Creo firmemente en el poder de la comunidad y quiero invitarlos a que contribuyan con traducciones de sus propios idiomas. Si quieres ayudar a que BrewFlasher sea más accesible a más brewers alrededor del mundo, por favor, siéntanse libres de comunicarse conmigo en HomeBrewTalk o GitHub. ¡Aprecio mucho su apoyo!

Deutsche

BrewFlasher unterstützt nun mehrere Sprachen! Aktuell liegt eine spanische Übersetzung für BrewFlasher vor und ich plane, weitere Sprachen zu ergänzen. Ich vertraue darauf, dass ihr mir eure Unterstützung leistet, indem ihr Übersetzungen für eure eigene Sprache hinzufügt. Solltet ihr BrewFlasher zugänglicher für Brewer um den Globus machen wollen, kontaktiert mich auf HomeBrewTalk oder GitHub. Vielen Dank für eure Unterstützung!

Other Changes
  • Updates esptool.py to the latest version (may fix issues with Lolin D1 Mini v4.0.0 chips)
  • MacOS builds are now universal (the same download works on both Intel and Apple Silicon-based Macs)
  • Fixes a bug that caused version numbers to begin with an extra "v"
  • Updates the build pipeline to reduce Windows Defender errors with new versions

Available now to download on GitHub!

这些天聊天机器人的能力真是令人惊讶(尽管我必须说,英文和德文的翻译是手工完成的!)

The translation is bad in my opinion. The more correct translation, if I guess right, should be
現在的聊天机器人的能力真是令人惊讶。

"These days" should not be translated into "这些天".

Back